Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 95,000 mile RT, would you buy it?

I know of a 2014 RT with 95,000 miles that's for sale. I'm looking for an RT just for 2 up touring, I have a Concours 14 for solo riding. My goal is to tour as much of this country that my money and body will allow before I'm dead. I'm retired with not much cash in hand to be spending $15,000 and up on a Spyder. I welcome your thoughts on this.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With just the info you provide here I would say don't buy it. You didn't say if was se or sm what price it was what shape it is in. Just not enough info to help. You state the bike has some miles (not quite to much) on it and you want to put on a bunch of miles doing long distance cross country ridding with what ever you buy. So the safe answer or bet here would be to say less miles well maintained Spyder for the type of travel you want to do.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I guess what I'm asking is will a Spyder with that many miles be reliable enough to tour the country? I have not looked at it in person yet. I would have to get it for $10 - 11 grand for it to work for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

well the miles are in the ballpark of close to 12K a yr.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is possible that that a Spyder with 95,000 miles on it could be just fine if it was well maintained but you would need to look it over real close. Some Spyders here have well over 150,000 and still going strong.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 07-24-2021 at 06:53 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lcfour View Post
    I guess what I'm asking is will a Spyder with that many miles be reliable enough to tour the country? I have not looked at it in person yet. I would have to get it for $10 - 11 grand for it to work for me.
    There are many of these Spyders out there with something over 100,000 relatively trouble free miles under their wheels; quite a few with over 150,000 miles; and more than just a handful pushing 200,000 miles or more!

So going by the milage alone, that Spyder should still have a lot of life left in it! But as Copper said, you really need to give us a bit more info before we can really provide any meaningful insight. Does it look well maintained; has it got a good service history; are there any indicators that it's been worked hard/abused; and so on??? What's it look like??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Have a dealer do a Vin search ($$$)...That will tell you the real deal regarding the bikes history...Personally for me I would not buy it without that info...

Spyder Garage

Is it just me or does that price sound a tad high for a '14 spyder with 95,000 on the clock? I would think as the season comes closer to an end maybe a few really good deals will pop up? Just looked and even imotorsports has a white '14 RT with 11,000 miles for 18k.

Spyder Garage

Were it not for the pandemic my Spyder would have close to 90K on it, 73K+ actually right now, running strong with all required maintenance done on time. That said, were I in your situation I would want a knowledgeable BRP technician to inspect all the fuel system hoses just because of their age, and from what I have learned on SL they'll probably be fine but I would want to know. Additionally, as CopperSpyder said, you haven't provided much information about the roadster and its history. I would want to know as well as what farkles the seller is advertising because they really aren't worth squat on resale, maybe $.30 on the dollar. You also don't say what your mechanical skills are and Spyders can be expensive to maintain if one has to rely on a dealership's service department for routine maintenance.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My back issues prevent me from doing some maintenance but other then major engine work/ fuel injection stuff I'm good. I can't remove wheels due to my back. They are asking $14,000 which I feel is too high but I've not looked at either.

Spyder Garage

Is it an RT-Limited, an RT-S SE-6 or SM-6, or a basic RT? KBB runs the gamut from $13.7 to $14.7. We really need more specifics. If YOU think it's too high for your budget, then it IS too high.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Just bought a 13 (se5) with 3800 miles on it for 13 grand . The miles would scare me unless meticulously maintained . Even then it’s time for clutch plates and discs etc.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My back issues prevent me from doing some maintenance but other then major engine work/ fuel injection stuff I'm good. I can't remove wheels due to my back. They are asking $14,000 which I feel is too high but I've not looked at either.
    The only farkle that would make a 2014 spyder with 95k miles worth $14,000, would be if there was about $6000 cash in one of the compartments. At that price, it would be acceptable if the spyder had about 20k miles or less. Otherwise, let it go and keep searching.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

lcfour -- don't buy that Spyder. It's a bad match for you.

BLUF: sell/trade the Concours and get a better RT leaving some money in your pocket.

Factors: bad back; limited funds; two-up mandatory; one-up optional; trouble-free miles mandatory.

The Concours is a super motorcycle but it's big and heavy so your back will soon make it unrideable. You don't have much reserve funds so let the Concours provide that reserve. You want to tour a big country for a hopefully long time so you just want to pay for maintenance not repairs. That points to a low-mileage Spyder. Since you're a motorcycle rider, an SM6 (clutch and shift lever) let's you take advantage of their lower popularity. And why does it have to be an RT? You can put luggage on the F3s. Whatever you choose, make sure it is the 1330cc engine (2014 and later).

PS I bought my RT-S SE6 77K with RT-622 trailer for $9K (buyer asking price, I didn't ask for lower price). I'm still flexible enough to perform the maintenance so established a baseline including spark plugs, etc etc. I couldn't afford it if a dealer performed the work.

PPS CycleTrader has a 2014 RT-S SE6 1K miles $14,000 private seller.

PPPS keep looking
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2021 at 01:31 AM. Reason: FE's = F3's ;-)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Way too much money for a bike with those miles. Keep looking for something with less miles.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I agree, too much money for that bike with that many miles on it. Look around, I have saw some pretty good deals and some not so good deals so take your time.

That said do as you wish as only you have to live with the decision.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The choice is obviously yours, but in my opinion, that's a bit pricey for an 8 year old bike with high mileage. A brand new base model RT is only $21k (at least where I am it is).

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

My 2016 RT with a little over 10,000 miles on it doesn’t cost too much more than what you’re looking at and mine is probably in much better shape.

Spyder Garage

Pass at that price.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

July 25, 2021

In the beginning of this year I bought a 2016 Spyder STS-LTD SE5 with 6,000 miles for $11,900 . It was a creampuff and looked brand new. It needed nothing and ran great. However, I did trade it in a month ago only because I wanted more comfort for my lower back problem . It did resolve the comfort problem. It was the champagne color which is one of the reasons I bought it. LOL.canam.trade.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    The only farkle that would make a 2014 spyder with 95k miles worth $14,000, would be if there was about $6000 cash in one of the compartments. At that price, it would be acceptable if the spyder had about 20k miles or less. Otherwise, let it go and keep searching.
    X's 10 ...... last year a member here sold His 14 RT-S for $11,000 with 16,000 mi., I called and said I would buy it sight un-seen, however He had received a call about 1/2 hr. before mine and He wanted to give them " first refusal " ..... The other party got it. .... with 95,000 + miles on it you have to consider all the things that are going to need re-placing just because they wear out.... if you have mechanical skills this will save you lots of money. If you need a Dealer to do this, I wouldn't touch it. ..... JMHO .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

You guys are top-notch, really gives me something to think about. I'm not ready to give up the Concours, it's just a blast to ride plus the bags and I have a trunk for it. My back will tell me when it's time to give it up more than likely. I'm 62 and hoping I can ride into my seventies using a Spyder. I know a fella that's 83 still tours on a Gold Wing. He used to haul a Honda flat tracker with the Wing to the race track, race for the weekend and trailer it home on the Wing. He went to California a couple times trailering the race bike behind the Wing with his wife . He' just a short guy too. I don't know how he does it. He's done the Iron Butt a couple times as well.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You guys are top-notch, really gives me something to think about. I'm not ready to give up the Concours, it's just a blast to ride plus the bags and I have a trunk for it. My back will tell me when it's time to give it up more than likely. I'm 62 and hoping I can ride into my seventies using a Spyder. I know a fella that's 83 still tours on a Gold Wing. He used to haul a Honda flat tracker with the Wing to the race track, race for the weekend and trailer it home on the Wing. He went to California a couple times trailering the race bike behind the Wing with his wife . He' just a short guy too. I don't know how he does it. He's done the Iron Butt a couple times as well.
    Everyone who posted comments really love their Spyders. .... the only negative comments had to do with the Price of that particular Spyder. There are reasonably priced machines to be had .... this one wasn't one of them .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

We recently traded in a 2014 RT-S with 42K on the clock. The dealer agreed to 10.5K for my trade in. $14K is to much ask for this unit. $12.5 would be a bit more realistic IMO. The high mileage (95K) is a minus on this machine. That should be worth an additional $1K IMO. $11.5 would be a good price PROVIDED you have a dealer run a VIN check to see the repair history on it. If it has been in the shop a lot, I would not buy it.

At 100K, if it is a good machine, you are at the point where stuff could go wrong. If it were me, I would not go for a used with that many miles.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-26-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which part of oHIo do you call "home"?

If you are in the southwest area, I would be willing to help you look at any candidates.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G