Spyder Garage

Default Front pulley bolt - reuse or replace?

2017 F3-T, SE-6 only 6,000 miles, (I am fortunate to have great riding areas minutes of the house). Checked every 6 months for red dust and again just today. NADA ! And I want to keep it that way so am going to be proactive and like some have suggested, remove pulley, clean it, inspect it, if OK reinstall with moly paste and blue loctite on bolt.

HOWEVER, I recall early on some were saying the bolt could be stretching past tolerance and should not be reused. Newer threads aren't mentioning this.

OK experts: reuse or replace?
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Whats it worth 3 bucks ? I would rather pay 3 bucks than pay the price .
    2019 F3 S
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Spyder Garage

Price isn't the issue, availability is.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Spyder Garage

If you get that bolt for $3 would you tell me where? It's over $10 everywhere I have seen it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    2017 F3-T, SE-6 only 6,000 miles, (I am fortunate to have great riding areas minutes of the house). Checked every 6 months for red dust and again just today. NADA ! And I want to keep it that way so am going to be proactive and like some have suggested, remove pulley, clean it, inspect it, if OK reinstall with moly paste and blue loctite on bolt.

HOWEVER, I recall early on some were saying the bolt could be stretching past tolerance and should not be reused. Newer threads aren't mentioning this.

OK experts: reuse or replace?
    Use a newbolt from BRP. Torque is 110 ft lbs. Do Not Reuse Bolt!
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Clean the bolt with a wire brush, reapply Loctite, and torque!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    This was a topic I recently wrote for Finless Bobs group. Below is a copy and paste of what was written by me.

I read so many posts across the internet about drive pulley failures.

Often there is an abundance of misinformation. Recently, I have been reading that the requirement for replacing the drive pulley retaining bolt is on account of it being a one time use due to bolt stretch when torqued to specs.

In simple terms, that is a myth an simply wrong.

This is a recent reply I wrote and offered up in another group. FWIW, the persons Spyder indicates no red dust at this time.

XXXXXXX (I omitted the persons name I was replying to) for grins, I just measured to verify the size. The pulley retention bolt is 12mm diameter. The grade is 10.9.

The standard torque spec on a M12 - 10.9 is 106lbft of torque (dry torque).

Previously, Can Am specified a torque for the pulley retention bolt of 96lbft.

Currently Can Am specifies an increased torque of 110lbft.

Neither of the Can Am torque specs address additional torque requirements based on the thread locking compounds run down torque requirement.

The difference between the standard torque of 106lbft and the now current torque of 110lbft (rundown torque included) is essentially nil.

Stating all of this to demonstrate the bolt is not replaced on account of stretch, but rather the inability of the used threadlocking compound to properly retain the fastener.

Unfortunately, regarding Spyders, there is a lot of misinformation that once started perpetuates to the level of incorrect but believed as fact, when it is entirely incorrect.

My opinion, remove your pulley before your trip. Inspect, lube and reinstall. Reuse the original bolt, but apply 243 Loctite on clean threads. Correctly torque with a known calibrated or equivalent torque wrench. Then paint a witness mark for visual reference as needed.

When I accomplished pulley removal, cleaning, inspection and reinstallation of our original pulley it was many years ago. At the time Can Am was still recommending to glue the pulley to the shaft with Loctite. Very likely, I was the first to use moly paste, simply replicating what I have done for decades on aircraft applications with drive splines.

I did replace the bolt, since our Spyder used the previous bolt and washer design. I installed the newer bolt with integrated washer.

Knowing my intentions were from that point forward to accomplish these inspections at certain intervals, I planned to reuse the bolt. Therefore, I drilled the bolt head and utilized locwire to safety the bolt in addition to threadlock compound.

All the best, however you proceed.
    The shop manual states with a warning to replace bolt, not to reuse bolt! I don’t know where you researched your information, but you are incorrect!
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't know the answer, but my dealership took mine apart after I took it to them with the "red dust of death". They cleaned everything and relubed it with the correct paste and reused the bolt. They did however, order me a new pulley and bolt. It should be in about mid month and they will install both at that time. They told me there would be no issues riding it until they get around to replacing everything.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Thanks very detailed and useful info.

Spyder Garage

Even at 10 bucks, IF I can find one, Ill buy it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    The shop manual states with a warning to replace bolt, not to reuse bolt! I don’t know where you researched your information, but you are incorrect!
    Because most folks are too lazy to clean the bolt threads and add fresh loctite. Do you replace head bolts every time you take a head off?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

The torque spec is 110 ft/lbs - about the same as a lug nut. You replace lug nuts/wheel studs after each use? (Maybe some of you do.) All it does is keep the pulley on the splined shaft; the pulley splines bear the actual torque load. Buy a new one if you want peace of mind. (Replace those wheel studs regularly, too.)

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DerSpyGuy View Post
    The torque spec is 110 ft/lbs - about the same as a lug nut. You replace lug nuts/wheel studs after each use? (Maybe some of you do.) All it does is keep the pulley on the splined shaft; the pulley splines bear the actual torque load. Buy a new one if you want peace of mind. (Replace those wheel studs regularly, too.)
    Unfortunately, regarding Spyders, there is a lot of misinformation that once started perpetuates to the level of incorrect but believed as fact, when it is entirely incorrect. said PMK.

The above is one such example. The purpose of the bolt is to provide sufficient clamping force of the pulley to the shoulder of the shaft so that the splines do not transmit the load. This was stated a decade ago in a TSB by BRP when pulley splines first started to wear/strip 'due to inadequate clamping force.' At that time the bolt torque from the factory was 88ftlb iirc.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Because most folks are too lazy to clean the bolt threads and add fresh loctite. Do you replace head bolts every time you take a head off?
    When the manufacturer says to do so, yes. This is somewhat common these days with stretch-to-yield head bolts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Unfortunately, regarding Spyders, there is a lot of misinformation that once started perpetuates to the level of incorrect but believed as fact, when it is entirely incorrect. said PMK.

The above is one such example. The purpose of the bolt is to provide sufficient clamping force of the pulley to the shoulder of the shaft so that the splines do not transmit the load. This was stated a decade ago in a TSB by BRP when pulley splines first started to wear/strip 'due to inadequate clamping force.' At that time the bolt torque from the factory was 88ftlb iirc.
    So you want to wear out the inter 1/8" of the splines????? The real issue is the quality of the splines in the drive pulley. Clamp it with the bolt as tight was you want, at some point the total load will be on the splines themselves. It is like putting lip stick on a pig!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

C'mon, get real here. You really believe that nonsense about the bolt providing "sufficient clamping force of the pulley to the shoulder of the shaft so that the splines do not transmit the load." By your logic, splines would be superfluous if the bolt were torqued to, say 160 ft/lbs. That ain't how things work in reality. A splined shaft/pulley design is what handles the load, not the clamping force of a bolt against the pulley.

Spyder Garage

It's not my logic DSG, it's that of BRP engineers. As you say: That ain't how things work in reality. That's precisely why we're seeing so many failures in recent years. After BRP increased the bolt torque on the V2 engines in about 2011, failures on these engines were eliminated. Like yourself, most folks on here these days haven't been around the forum long enough to know the history. There's very obviously something very different going on with these triples and BRP is yet to work out what (tho their engineers probably know the fix but the bean counters have put a stop to it I suspect). As long as folks keep on buying them as is, BRP ain't gonna throw $$$ fixing a reliability issue that doesn't impact on sales.

Spyder Garage

It is like putting lip stick on a pig! says Snorking. Yeah, the Spyder is an absolute swine of a thing when it's broken down - again.

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Spyder Garage

"It's not my logic DSG, it's that of BRP engineers."

That does not fly. Said it, now own it.

" Like yourself, most folks on here these days haven't been around the forum long enough to know the history. "

Having been on the runway for a longer time does not equate to airworthiness. Still grounded, but not in reality.

Lastly, Gaslighting in print doesn't work.

Spyder Garage

OFF TOPIC. Thanks for the tips DSG. I'll put em where they belong. You're obviously a very experienced airman - and smarter than the average bear too.

I had to look this up - shows what a dummy I am eh. Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse where a person or group makes someone question their sanity, perception of reality, or memories. I'm not sure how that's relevant, other than it's a projection, but it apparently makes you feel good to say so and that's important to you.

Ride safe.

Let's get back on topic now.