Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Smart Phone as GPS for Spyder?

Does anyone use their Smart iPhone (iPhone in my case) as a GPS when ryding? If so, how do you make the screen readable in bright sunshine?

Thanks!
    Bert
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I know nothing about a iphone but I put one of these on my android and it work's "Much" better. I have a case for my phone and I removed the clear plastic then added this. No glare at all for me. I'm sure they have one for your phone also.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Does anyone use their Smart iPhone (iPhone in my case) as a GPS when ryding? If so, how do you make the screen readable in bright sunshine Thanks! Bert
    There's a fairly recent thread that discusses this and other phone GPS issues. Suggest you do a search.

Here's one https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-on-cell-phone
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have used my IPhone for gps on my 2019 RTL and other bike for the past year because I got tired of the difficult to read display on my Garmin and because it was not as accurate as the gps on the phone. I never have difficulty seeing the display. I just set the display to it's brightest setting and disable auto brightness and it is crystal clear to see. I also use my phone for XM radio without any problem. I connect the phone to the Spyder with blue tooth. I don't even consider going back to Garmin.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whether on top of the dash or in it, using the smartphone as a GPS works really great as it has a faster processor.

Play with the display settings and find out what works. There are visor shades that can attach to the phone case.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Yes. There are several different cell phone that are known to have an especially bright screen that can be well seen in daylight. Several of those phones are older phones that can be purchased on the used market for very little money. You don't have to hook up the cell phone per se. Most Android phones come with the Google PlayStore app pre loaded, so you can download whichever mapping app you choose for free and it maps through the GPS antenna with no cell data used.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

me too

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good info here, guys. Thanks!
    Bert

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use a Samsung 8 inch tablet with the Sygic app. An anti glare screen protector helps to keep reflections at bay. The screen is fairly easy to see except when the sun is directly behind me.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Guys, I have an Otterbox case for my iPhone 6s, so I'm not sure whether a matte (solid) screen would work for me. Does anyone know any links for matte (flexible) film that perhaps could be cut to size?
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Hey Guys, I have an Otterbox case for my iPhone 6s, so I'm not sure whether a matte (solid) screen would work for me. Does anyone know any links for matte (flexible) film that perhaps could be cut to size?
    You must remove the clear plastic even if you have to trim it with a razor knife. If you do not do this then do not waste your money on the anti glare screen.

Just scroll through these and pick the one you want. Make sure it is the anti-glare type.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Anti-Glar...04&ref=sr_pg_1
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

It should work well, as long as you have cell data service. In the mountains where I go a lot my Google Maps are useless sometimes. I'm not an iPhone user ,so that part I'm not sure about.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

I have a Zumo 660 that came with my RT-L, yes I agree with you guys that it's really hard to see in bright daylight. Using your phone as GPS is excellent idea and it would make it easier if your phone has OLED screen instead of LCD. All you have to do is preload your destination at home - I use google Maps on my iPhone 12 - or wherever you have wifi then your phone will work even if you don't have cell signal.
    Ryde Safe and Cheers.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

They actually make shields for phones. I have one of these for the screen on a drone I have. A lot of fiddling around trying to get it right but it does work. Here is just a sample of one on Amazon (just search iphone sun shade.)

https://smile.amazon.com/Sunshade-Co...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    They actually make shields for phones. I have one of these for the screen on a drone I have. A lot of fiddling around trying to get it right but it does work. Here is just a sample of one on Amazon (just search iphone sun shade.)

I like this product. Thanks for sharing. Will have to get one soon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    It should work well, as long as you have cell data service. In the mountains where I go a lot my Google Maps are useless sometimes. I'm not an iPhone user ,so that part I'm not sure about.
    …you can pony up for one of the GPS apps on your mobile for $70 or so, ES. They run off satellite so you don’t have to worry about phone reception

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    The GPS in smartphones IS GPS not cell service. Unlike iPods, iPads and Tablets with cell service that use "Passive GPS", smartphones have the same GPS as a Garmin.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That looks like a genuinely great idea under most circumstances, but unfortunately won't work for me because:

a) my phone is in an Otterbox case, and
    b) the mount for it on my Spyder works best in vertical orientation (not horizontal).

Thanks for the suggestion though!
    Bert
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Yep, that is what my wife and I both use for our iPhones, when using them as GPS.

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

The bad thing about using your iPhone if you have direct sunlight hitting in the summer on a hot day it will get darker and darker till it shuts off. It happened to me on Saturday. I was going to North Carolina from New Jersey and had my IPhone and my Garmi 396 ,I was using both gps views because I did not like the Garmiin route. It must have been about high 90s and my screen on the phone went black and turned off. The Garmin still worked but the reflection on the screen from my high vis shirt made it hard to see BUT I still had a way to go from my Garmin. I know where I was going had limited cell service. Just a thought.

Spyder Garage

I have no issues seeing my iPhone 12. The big issue for me in my area is cell reception. If I am using Waze I and have to load map data that can be a problem. To combat that I have Sync GPS as well. With that, much like a GPS only device you download offline maps so not having data is no longer a problem. If I have to switch to that app its fine as I run them both at the same time. With Sync I can also have that display on my Spyders dash display. Although I will say it locks up from time to time but I think that is a BRP issue.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)