Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New to me Spyder RT - what would you folks consider comfort/safety upgrades?

I’m buying a 2018 spyder rt with 450 miles. The paint and trim have been neglected but not trashed, I believe some elbow grease will bring it back. I purchased a two year warranty as the original expired. This is my first spyder and expect I’ll need to get used to riding on three wheels instead of two! I’ve read the “do’s and don’t’s” on this site. I don’t plan to add a lot of bling (��) but I’m wondering what you folks would consider comfort/safety upgrades?

Spyder Garage

I don't know if it would be considered a safety item but the Baja Ron's sway bar certainly made my rtl handle better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconmike View Post
    I’m buying a 2018 spyder rt with 450 miles. The paint and trim have been neglected but not trashed, I believe some elbow grease will bring it back. I purchased a two year warranty as the original expired. This is my first spyder and expect I’ll need to get used to riding on three wheels instead of two! I’ve read the “do’s and don’t’s” on this site. I don’t plan to add a lot of bling (��) but I’m wondering what you folks would consider comfort/safety upgrades?
    Comfort - a better saddle, or modify with gel insert AND Triaxial handlebars
    Safety; all the led accessory lighting you can afford
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I’ve got to get used to riding it so I can tell if it’s me or the bike! How does the sway help?

Spyder Garage

Car tires, sway bar, front shocks, you'll be styling in my book!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Comfort - a better saddle, or modify with gel insert AND Triaxial handlebars
    Safety; all the led accessory lighting you can afford
    I agree with you on all the lights! I want to be seen!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Car tires, sway bar, front shocks, you'll be styling in my book!!
    I had a car tire on the rear of my Vulcan nomad. I liked it, it didn’t wear out but it did develop cupping on the edges. I wouldn’t think that would ba a problem for the spyders.

Spyder Garage

You can never go wrong with more lights. I always prefer an upline seat...if it does not have that already. I would ride it at least 1000 miles before doing any mechanical mods. Get to know your machine and go from there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You need to define your type of riding before you buy add on's. If you do long trips of thousands of miles at a time you might want a Russell Day Long seat ($$$) and custom Helibars. If you're a weekend warrior putting a couple of thousand of miles year on your machine don't bother with the above. Some want to add on bling and the appearance of their machine is more important than anything. None of the above is wrong but don't waste your money on items that might be important to others and not to you.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Convex mirrors, drivers backrest, inView - wireless helmet-mounted brake and turn signal light, louder horn, Grip Puppies (And, of course, like everyone else has said, more lights)
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For me, number one item was a drivers backrest and cup holder. Pretty much the other items could wait. Especially the swaybar. BRP did a pretty good job designing these things, and it will be totally different from 2 wheels no matter what you do. After logging in over 35k miles on 3 different spyders, I finally put a swaybar on my 2016 F3T. Did it help? Yes, but it was not earth moving. Before the swaybar, I had ridden with many spyder riders in the NC/Tenn mountains that bragged about the swaybar, tires, and expensive shocks. 99% of them were left behind or struggling to keep up. As with most cars, bikes, and spyders today, they are above the capabilities of most of the average riders/drivers. So I say enjoy it and learn the vehicle first and then decide what you need.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I had a car tire on the rear of my Vulcan nomad. I liked it, it didn’t wear out but it did develop cupping on the edges. I wouldn’t think that would ba a problem for the spyders.
    It looks like you're not really attempting to compare your Vulcan experience with a car tire to the Spyder. It's really, apples and oranges. Putting a car tire on a vehicle designed for a motorcycle tire (Your Vulcan) cannot be compared to putting a car tire on a vehicle designed for a car tire (The Spyder). Obviously, your Vulcan is designed to lean, and a car tire is not designed to ride on the outer edge. Whereas, a motorcycle tire is specifically designed to do just that. Still, cupping has more to do with balance and worn suspension components than it does with the vehicle it is fitted to.

Your Vulcan was designed to lean. And while the Spyder body does lean. The suspension keeps the tires level (or attempts to).
    Tire1a.jpg

The next issue you run into with a car tire on a motorcycle rim is the rim bead/seat area matching the tire bead/seat area. It doesn't. Of course, since the Spyder has a car rim/wheel, fitting a car tire to a Spyder wheel is a perfect match.
    Tire3.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2021 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Spyer = Spyder
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If the Spyder has not been aligned using the Rolo laser system have it done. Choose your laser capable shop from this list: http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealersny.htm. Netzley Tire LLC comes highly recommended and can be found at this site: https://b-m.facebook.com/NETZLEYTIRELLC/?__tn__=HH-R. Sorry, I know nothing about Facebook.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The very first,and to me most important thing,I did to my 18 RTL was to put in LED fog and headlights. I live in the country and driving the stock lights at night was scary they were so bad.I also eventually added fender strut mounted LED driving lights. These were the first and best mods I did to that bike.

Spyder Garage

Don't forget the missing belt guard to keep the pebbles and rocks out of the drive belt.
    I also second the LED headlights and fog lights. Wow what a difference they make.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

I waited several months before I added a lot of stuff to my Spyder. You might want to consider doing that also. Then YOU will know what you need. I added a BajaRon sway bar, LED headlights, Car tires, EBC brake pads and rotors for safety and for comfort I added a gel pad,driver's back rest, floorboards, and grip puppies. I like bling also so have added that too,lots.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Absolutely get a third brake light LED and LED's to replace the reflectors on the rear saddlebags and front fenders. You'll need all that to really increase your chances of being seen. Be safe out there and enjoy!!
    Nate and Lori

2021 Spyder RT Limited--Deep Marsala Red--Chrome Edition

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It looks like you're not really attempting to compare your Vulcan experience with a car tire to the Spyder. It's really, apples and oranges. Putting a car tire on a vehicle designed for a motorcycle tire (Your Vulcan) cannot be compared to putting a car tire on a vehicle designed for a car tire (The Spyder). Obviously, your Vulcan is designed to lean, and a car tire is not designed to ride on the outer edge. Whereas, a motorcycle tire is specifically designed to do just that. Still, cupping has more to do with balance and worn suspension components than it does with the vehicle it is fitted to.

Your Vulcan was designed to lean. And while the Spyder body does lean. The suspension keeps the tires level (or attempts to).
    Tire1a.jpg

The next issue you run into with a car tire on a motorcycle rim is the rim bead/seat area matching the tire bead/seat area. It doesn't. Of course, since the Spyer has a car rim/wheel, fitting a car tire to a Spyder wheel is a perfect match.
    Tire3.jpg
    Ron, could you take this explanation to the president of Can am and tell him to untie the dealers hands and there liability bla,bla, bla from putting car tires on these machines!! It would make life so much nicer!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Ron, could you take this explanation to the president of Can am and tell him to untie the dealers hands and there liability bla,bla, bla from putting car tires on these machines!! It would make life so much nicer!!
    I am sure you are joking. BRP isn't going to listen to anything I have to say. And they already know all of this, probably better than I do. It's not about the facts or safety. It's about selling product. When you are selling an inferior product at a high price, like their Kenda's, you have to twist some arms to make the sale. And that isn't going to change.

There are usually work-a-rounds. Maybe not easy ones depending on where you live. And that is a shame. But dealerships are not the only people installing tires. It depends on how badly you want it. I am fortunate. Here in East Tennessee, just about any tire shop will mount the tire of your choice on a Spyder.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-04-2021 at 07:58 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If the Spyder has not been aligned using the Rolo laser system have it done. Choose your laser capable shop from this list: http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealersny.htm. Netzley Tire LLC comes highly recommended and can be found at this site: https://b-m.facebook.com/NETZLEYTIRELLC/?__tn__=HH-R. Sorry, I know nothing about Facebook.
    Thanks, I saved the info

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's not an issue of BRP tying dealers' hands, nor an issue of liability. See my explanation here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1545171

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I did add Baja on sway bar. Worth every penny! Also replaced headlights with LED, Father’s Day gift from my son ��. Also adding a back rest. I would like to change the auxiliary lightbulb to LED’s, any suggestions? I’m referring to the small lights on the front fenders. I would like to just replace the bulb if that’s possible. I really appreciate this forum, it’s been very helpful!!

Spyder Garage

Yesterday I happened on a car accident. The victims were still in the car and the bystanders had called 911. A nurse was on the seen and was frantically searching for a first aid kit. I gave her mine. In retrospect you might want to add a small first aid kit to your Spyder.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    ........In retrospect you might want to add a small first aid kit to your Spyder.
    Of all the add-ons, this is definitely one of the BEST!

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would like to just replace the bulb if that’s possible. I really appreciate this forum, it’s been very helpful!!
    Those lights are already LEDs.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G