Thread: Looking around

Spyder Garage

Default Looking around

Spyder Owners,
    I am looking at purchasing my first spyder. It is an 08 in mint condition with less than 500 miles. Its the silver edition and a SE5 module. I think everything is pretty much stock on it. I was wondering what is the going rate. Its take me almost 14 years to convenience my wife to let me get a bike and I dont want to pay to much. Now on the other had I know I am going to get ragged when I get it. I drive a Harley Davidson F150...Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Spyder Garage

welcome
    What are they asking for it?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    welcome
    What are they asking for it?

15,500.....I was thinking of offering him 13,500...CASH...

Spyder Garage

$15,500 is a fair price for a SE. If you can get it for less that would be a deal.

Spyder Garage

$15,500 is a fair price for a SE. If you can get it for less that would be a deal.
    Thanks!! I will give it a shot...Going to look at it on sunday..I cant wait...

Spyder Garage

welcome
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Spyder Garage

But no harm in floating that $13,500 number out there. If it's completely stock, $15,500 is only an okay deal. $13,500 would be a very good deal. Be sure to check what, if any, service has been done on it. If it hasn't been done, the first service (600 miles) will run anywhere from $150 - $350 depending on where you get it serviced and what they do in that service. Also, there were a few service bulletins (brakes, parking brake, transmission) that applied to 2008 Spyders that you may need to check into if you buy it but those things should be warranty items. If they bought any BRP extended warranty, I believe that's transferable and could be worth up to $1,000 or so to you.
    Last edited by bjt; 09-08-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Default I would float . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post

But no harm in floating that $13,500 number out there. If it's completely stock, $15,500 is only an okay deal. $13,500 would be a very good deal. Be sure to check what, if any, service has been done on it. If it hasn't been done, the first service (600 miles) will run anywhere from $150 - $350 depending on where you get it serviced and what they do in that service. Also, there were a few service bulletins (brakes, parking brake, transmission) that applied to 2008 Spyders that you may need to check into if you buy it but those things should be warranty items. If they bought any BRP extended warranty, I believe that's transferable and could be worth up to $1,000 or so to you.
    You are looking at what I have. $15.5 is what I paid, brand new, stock, 0 miles and with the 3 year extended warranty - in March of this year. So, I would go with the lower #.
    I agree with Brian, the price could go up if it has modifications and upgrades. And it would be nice if it was up-to-date on warranty work - that would depend on when they bought it - it should be current as of it coming out of the dealership.

Here is a recommendation; work it so it gets it 600 mile break-in inspection and oil change - before you buy. I would make my offer include that service being done - which would be like a dealer checkup that would "certify" the bike and highlight any problems. I would offer to pay half of the service cost of having this done (non refundable). If everything looks good to you after the service and test drive, you buy it + you pay for the other half of the service. You would be paying for the service anyway, but you would only be out a couple of hundred bucks if you changed your mind.
    The current owner would have a "fresh" updated low mileage Spyder ready to go 3K miles for its new owner.

Like I said, I have what you are looking at. No problems. Lots of smiles. Well worth the kidding you will get from your HD friends and the kidding you can give back in kind.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

welcome good luck with your purchase - you will love it once you get one.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydrn View Post
    I know I am going to get ragged when I get it I drive a Harley Davidson F150...Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Pssssst.........Hey, Harley didnt really make your truck.. you'lle be ok.
    Last edited by one50npump; 09-09-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    2008 Millennium Yellow SM5 Spyder PE #21
    2005 White Goldwing GL1800

Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

welcome
    David
    McKinney, TX

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't care who you are,that's funny.

Spyder Garage

I think you can get a better deal than that--- at a dealer.

You're up against someone who wants to get every dime back out of their investment.

My dealer (Leaders Marine in Kalamazoo Michigan) had NEW 2008 SM5's for $11,300 and SE5's for $11,600.

Shop around and find a dealer with overstock--- that way you get NEW and most likely a better deal.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by one50npump View Post
    Pssssst.........Hey, Harley didnt really make your truck.. you'lle be ok.

William

Spyder Garage

welcome
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default seems a little high,

Unless it has the 600 mile done, and the extened warranty with it, have you looked at any SM bikes, most are the SM model. either was you will enjoy it

Spyder Garage

welcome I'd say they SHOULD take $13,500 for it unless they are upside down in it and need payoff. I haven't priced the SE5's but you can get a brand new SM5 for at least $1K less than that here.
    Happy 2008 SM5 Owner - BRP Sport Rack/Backrest, 23" BRP Ultra Touring Windshield.

Spyder Garage

[quote=Tom in NM;141505]You are looking at what I have. $15.5 is what I paid, brand new, stock, 0 miles and with the 3 year extended warranty - in March of this year. So, I would go with the lower #.
    I agree with Brian, the price could go up if it has modifications and upgrades. And it would be nice if it was up-to-date on warranty work - that would depend on when they bought it - it should be current as of it coming out of the dealership.

Here is a recommendation; work it so it gets it 600 mile break-in inspection and oil change - before you buy. I would make my offer include that service being done - which would be like a dealer checkup that would "certify" the bike and highlight any problems. I would offer to pay half of the service cost of having this done (non refundable). If everything looks good to you after the service and test drive, you buy it + you pay for the other half of the service. You would be paying for the service anyway, but you would only be out a couple of hundred bucks if you changed your mind.
    The current owner would have a "fresh" updated low mileage Spyder ready to go 3K miles for its new owner.

Like I said, I have what you are looking at. No problems. Lots of smiles. Well worth the kidding you will get from your HD friends and the kidding you can give back in kind.

Thanks for all the info...I have talked to him...The bike has 340 miles on it. He said that the last 2 recall updates were done and the service was also done. He is an older man and cant ride due to a medical condition..I am going up on Sunday to look at it..