Spyder Garage

Default Upcoming left ankle replacement - will a Ryker work for me?

Hello:

I broke my lower left leg a number of years ago, had several surgeries, but now at the point where the doctor indicates replacement or fusion.

I am thinking that a Ryker or semi-automatic Spyder where the left foot rests on a peg/floorboard would work for me. I am not sure that after recovery, I could go back to 2-wheels.

When I first broke my ankle in 1995, I had purchased a manual transmission SUV. After the break, I could not drive this vehicle for a year.

Anyone here with a left leg fusion or replacement or similar that may offer some comment on my plan?

Thanks,
    Rick B

Spyder Garage

Your good. All of the semi auto versions require right foot only for braking action. Shifting is done with the left hand.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My left leg is amputated at the knee. I ride a Spyder with the paddle shifter without any problem and no modifications.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickWB View Post

Anyone here with a left leg fusion or replacement or similar that may offer some comment on my plan?

Thanks,
    Rick B
    In 1982 I broke (shattered) my right leg very close to my ankle. The doctors repaired it with a plate and 13 screws. Five years later the plate and screws were removed because one of my screws was coming loose. After the initial recovery, I had no problems and no limitations for over 25 years. I eventually had bone on bone arthritis in that ankle, went to the Doc and was treated. After the Doc tried everything and the meds stopped working, he gave me two options: Total ankle fusion or a replacement ankle. After researching both, I went with a new ankle. Up to that point I had been a policeman (Cleveland and Indianapolis) for over 31 years and I still wanted to work a few more years.

Fast forward to Halloween Day, 2012. I was admitted to Indiana Orthopedic Hospital. Two and a half days later I was rolled out with a new ankle (https://patients.stryker.com/ankle-r...ar-replacement). The pain was gone and I was a happy camper. The only PT was walking. My Doc told me there was a 10 to 15 year life expectancy on my new ankle and if I kept riding my motorcycle I'd reduce that time. The Spring of 2013 I sold my two motorcycles and bought my first Spyder (2013 RT Limited) and have never looked back. I'm on my fourth Spyder and have over 100,000 Spyder miles.

Do I have limitations? Yes. I can no longer run. I can walk as fast as I want, just no running (the pounding of the foot on the ground will cause damage), I can't do any extended heavy lifting (the extra weight will cause damage), no skiing (self explanatory). I can swim, ride a bicycle, walk fast, ride my Spyder and so much more. I'm OK with not running and no heavy lifting. I do have to be careful when walking behind my lawn mower because of the uneven ground. I also have to be careful when hiking in the woods because of the uneven ground. I've been retired for four and a half years. Life is good and there's no pain.

About four or five years ago I guy I know in Indy was debating the same issue. I told him my story but he went with the fusion. He's had nothing but trouble with his fusion. After the surgery he was in a wheelchair for quite a while. He might still be. Now he was a big guy. If I remember right, the weight limit for the new ankle was 250 pounds and he was quite a bit over that. He might not have been eligible for the Star ankle.

If you're eligible for the ankle replacement, I'd say go for it. Do your homework and talk to your Doc. You'll be fine.

If you want to talk more send me your number.

Jerry
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jerry - Yes, I don’t want a fusion, as I would walk with a limp.

I broke my tibia and fibula in 1995, and had metal plates and screws. Within a few months, had cellulitis, and doctor removed all hardware. He said at my second surgery, in 2012, that his cleaning of the ankle joint ‘should last awhile.’ I get ‘awhile’ is up. I have coped well with my surgeries and gave up skiing many years ago, but ride my pedal assist e-bike. I spent 2 hours on a ladder a few weeks ago, cleaning gutters. I am 71 and don’t want to give up riding. I can get a good deal on a demo Ryker 600 with full warranty, or a 2013 ST-S with 12,000 miles for about the same price. I hope to move up to a 1330 Spyder at some point.

I live in Canada and ankle replacement surgery will be of no cost to me, so that is the way I am going to go. Hopefully defer surgery until next year, but buy the 3-wheeler soon and get used to it.

Rick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickWB View Post
    Thanks Jerry - Yes, I don’t want a fusion, as I would walk with a limp.

I broke my tibia and fibula in 1995, and had metal plates and screws. Within a few months, had cellulitis, and doctor removed all hardware. He said at my second surgery, in 2012, that his cleaning of the ankle joint ‘should last awhile.’ I get ‘awhile’ is up. I have coped well with my surgeries and gave up skiing many years ago, but ride my pedal assist e-bike. I spent 2 hours on a ladder a few weeks ago, cleaning gutters. I am 71 and don’t want to give up riding. I can get a good deal on a demo Ryker 600 with full warranty, or a 2013 ST-S with 12,000 miles for about the same price. I hope to move up to a 1330 Spyder at some point.

I live in Canada and ankle replacement surgery will be of no cost to me, so that is the way I am going to go. Hopefully defer surgery until next year, but buy the 3-wheeler soon and get used to it.

Rick
    If I were you, I'd save a few more $$$ and go right to a Spyder. The ST's are more sporty and the v-twin is a high revving motor and the only thing the Ryker and Spyder have in common are the three wheels. If you're coming off a two wheeler, you might not be happy on a Ryker. Because of the price point, many people bought the Ryker. Shortly after, they traded (losing money) for a Spyder.

I would suggest test riding both the RT and the F3. The newer 1330 motor (introduced in 2014) gets better gas mileage and has longer maintenance intervals. They're also less costly to maintain. And unless you do your own maintenance, they can be costly to maintain. Wait! It's a Spyder. Everything is costly on a Spyder. Just know that going in.

If you're like most of us, you'll love it.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

sending .... for your recovery .... I suggest when you attempt to ride again you mount from the right side , so you arn't stressing your left foot ..... Mike

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hubby shattered his right ankle in a motorcycle accident 9 years ago ..... 9 surgeries later he is still in significant pain (however, that is NOT due to the STAR ankle replacement, it is due to nerve damage from the original accident). He had what is called a non-union on the leg repair, of the 28 screws put in during the second surgery, only four were left intact (the only thing holding him up were those four screws). Bone graft surgery in 2013, resolved the non-union and the STAR ankle was placed roughly a year later. Truth be told, I think he put too much weight on the ankle too soon and it has cost him in the long run by adding to the nerve pain ... now he has long standing bone pain too. So, pay attention to doctors orders and don't rush your recovery. He went back to two wheels until just recently when his back and ankle issues made it almost impossible to enjoy riding on two. So, we had the Indian Roadmaster converted to a trike by adding a California Side Car trike kit.

The beauty of the STAR ankle is that the plastic "spacer" between the talus (top of the foot) piece and the leg plate is replaceable. So, the whole ankle does not have to be redone, just the spacer replaced.

Best of luck on the surgery .... I think you are making the right choice to get used to three wheels before your surgery ....... All the best ....... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ann. I like the idea of the spacer - my left leg is an inch shorter than my right due to the surgeries on my tib/fib. Maybe they can install an inch taller ‘spacer’ . I had to get lifts installed in select shoe heels to compensate.

Spyder Garage

I had foot surgery two different times on my left foot in the last two years. Both times I was to have zero weight on that foot for a month. After that was a walking boot for another month. Both times I was back on the Spyder as soon as I got into the walking boot. Doctors permission was not solicited..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Made a deal today on a new, left over 2019 F3 base model, SE6. Some promotions from Can-Am sweetened the deal. Picking up tomorrow.

I want to find some lights to improve ‘being seen’, and maybe for night visibility. I already have a high-vis motorcycle jacket.

Looking forward to all the tips on this site; one reason why I bought the bike.

Rick B
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Canada

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    My left leg is amputated at the knee. I ride a Spyder with the paddle shifter without any problem and no modifications.
    Same here, no mods. Left Below Knee Amputee. My main reason for the Spyder, upgraded from a Honda Silver Wing 600 Touring Scooter. Liked my SilverWing, but Love my . more!

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Congratulations Rick. You made a great choice. Lots of riding tips on many threads here. I am envious. You live in one of the most beautiful parts of Canada with unlimited areas to explore..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi