Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BPR Touring Windshield

I currently have the Cal-Sci XL shield and am looking for something that will give a little more protection for me as well as my passinger. I like the looks of the 25" BRP touring shield but don't know how it performs (relative to the XL). Would appreciate your input.

BillGargan

I have the 25" UltraTouring -- and it performs perfectly. I am sorry but I can't compare it to anything but the standard BRP touring windshield.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I am 6'4" and....

the wind hits me in the nose with this wind shield on the spider but it did change the air that hits the chest it actually sucks my shirt forward
    If you are tall you might think of something else
    I was thinking of that robomount for mine . other than that it is nice but I did not put on the added wind deflectors that came with it everyone said that the exhaust fumes would choke the life out of you with those on. I was thinking of letting mine go and getting a 30 in wind screen

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

CHAD!!!!!!!!!! You can adjust it up and down, forward & backward Magic Man sells it

Spyder Garage

The CHAD is a good way to go because it can be adjusted and most people that have the CHAD seem real happy with it. I also was looking at the Madstad RoboBrackets as an option as well if I ever need to get a different windshield setup. Check the link below. They have pics of this setup on a spyder.
    I have to admit though, I really don't mind the standard sport windscreen on my Spyder. I kind of like getting the air, especially in hot weather. It's just the bugs that keep hitting me in the face shield that I don't like. This is where a taller screen would be nice.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.10/.f

Spyder Garage

A dealer recently told me I made a good decision going w/the CHAD over the BRP; this, after he was trying to sell me on the BRP 25"

Apparently several people are experiencing a higher-than-normal (?) amount of exhaust fumes. Suggest you check around.

The CHAD is working for me (6'2") and is great at speeds under 55 mph, but it's taking some getting used to at higher speeds. It definitely deflects the wind off the torso and my wife is very pleased with it fully up and forward - much quieter ride for her as the passenger.

With a helmet on, at 70-75 mph, certain positions on the CHAD are unbearably loud due to the wind noise; w/helmet off and just goggles on, the noise isn't that bad at high speed (problem is, I won't ride w/o a full faced helmet on the highway.) So, it takes some testing.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    The CHAD is a good way to go because it can be adjusted and most people that have the CHAD seem real happy with it. I also was looking at the Madstad RoboBrackets as an option as well if I ever need to get a different windshield setup. Check the link below. They have pics of this setup on a spyder.
    I have to admit though, I really don't mind the standard sport windscreen on my Spyder. I kind of like getting the air, especially in hot weather. It's just the bugs that keep hitting me in the face shield that I don't like. This is where a taller screen would be nice.

That looks cool!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Based on the dltang and bjt testimonials about the RoboBrackets, I have them on order. I'm going to use my Calsci XL, which worked great when I had the stock seat and bars, but not so anymore. I did 600+ in 2 days (Sat and Sun) this weekend and my neck still hurts! I can't wait for the RoboBrackets to arrive!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Based on the dltang and bjt testimonials about the RoboBrackets, I have them on order. I'm going to use my Calsci XL, which worked great when I had the stock seat and bars, but not so anymore. I did 600+ in 2 days (Sat and Sun) this weekend and my neck still hurts! I can't wait for the RoboBrackets to arrive!!!
    I'm looking at the Laminar Lip to add another 2-3" to the CHAD's deflection.

http://www.laminarlip.com/

Please repost how the RoboBrackets work out for you. Thanks!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Me too . . . . .

Based on the dltang and bjt testimonials about the RoboBrackets, I have them on order.

I can't wait for the RoboBrackets to arrive!!!
    . . . yeah, really looking forward to getting mine.

I think it will boost me up to at least 74 Smiles per gallon.
    Tom

Spyder Garage

It's amazing how many choices we have now for windshields. From the post I've seen on this board and from my own personal choice the CHAD seems to perform the best.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Windshield

I appreciate all the responses and will go with CHAD (the consensus). This forum is great, and a very powerful tool for good info. THANKS all.

Michael

Spyder Garage

I think this is where the RoboBrackets and the Madstad windshield excel. I still get great airflow all around my body and head but not the direct air that the stock windshield puts on your body and head. It makes doing 70 on the highway feel like your doing 35 with the stock windshield.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got the dealer to include the 23" with the air deflectors as part of my deal and they work great together. If you take the deflectors off then you will catch alot of air in your face so they really do work well together.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm still getting a lot of noise and some head buffeting with the 23" BRP Ultra Touring at highway speeds (65-75 mph). I did 150 miles 2 up on Saturday with a strong head wind and it was almost abusive.

I'm debating between the Robobracket and the Laminar lip.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

SpyderKev, did you mount the side air deflectors? They should do the trick for you....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman01 View Post
    SpyderKev, did you mount the side air deflectors? They should do the trick for you....
    yup, I do have them mounted..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I think this is where the RoboBrackets and the Madstad windshield excel. I still get great airflow all around my body and head but not the direct air that the stock windshield puts on your body and head. It makes doing 70 on the highway feel like your doing 35 with the stock windshield.
    The only question I have about the Madstad RoboBrackets and windshield, is, how solid is it? Does it have any vibration at speed at all..?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderKev View Post
    I'm still getting a lot of noise and some head buffeting with the 23" BRP Ultra Touring at highway speeds (65-75 mph). I did 150 miles 2 up on Saturday with a strong head wind and it was almost abusive.

I'm debating between the Robobracket and the Laminar lip.
    I have a Laminar Lip on my Calsci XL and, while it really helps with wind noise, it does nothing for the buffeting. That's why I ordered the RoboBrackets. (can't wait!)

Spyder Garage

The only question I have about the Madstad RoboBrackets and windshield, is, how solid is it? Does it have any vibration at speed at all..?

I'm sure it moves some but not so much that I notice it and I end up focusing on it. IMO, anytime you get a larger windshield, there will be some movement or vibration while riding at higher speeds.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a Laminar Lip on my Calsci XL and, while it really helps with wind noise, it does nothing for the buffeting. That's why I ordered the RoboBrackets. (can't wait!)
    Ok, good to know. Looks like it'll be the RoboBrackets for me then.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I'm sure it moves some but not so much that I notice it and I end up focusing on it. IMO, anytime you get a larger windshield, there will be some movement or vibration while riding at higher speeds.
    On my way home tonight, I paid close attention to the Madstad windshield on the RoboBrackets and there was no extra movement or vibration to speak of. Naturally, when you get something 25" away from the pod / console it's mounted on, any vibrations in the pod seem amplified out on the end but the mount itself is solid and with the bracket arms tightened, the windshield doesn't vibrate any more than I would expect. It's no different than any of the F1 windshields or the CalSci I had that were mounted directly to the console.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default CHAD

I noticed on the ESI web site that the CHAD was available in "Black & Clear". What does that look like?--Guess I haven't seen that. I also was wondering (since the chad is Lexan) if anyone has had a problem with clouding. Would appreciate your opinions.

Michael

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    I noticed on the ESI web site that the CHAD was available in "Black & Clear". What does that look like?--Guess I haven't seen that. I also was wondering (since the chad is Lexan) if anyone has had a problem with clouding. Would appreciate your opinions.

Michael
    My CHAD was one of the first out last year. No problems. And, I feel a little more secure that a rock won't crack it into multiple sharp pieces.