Spyder Garage

Default What are the Accent Lighting Laws in Illinois?

Can someone tell me what the laws are for led accent lighting on motorcycles in IL?

Thanks
    Karen

Registered Users The_Spyderwoman's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

"If the motorcycle is parked for display (show), the lights can be as many and of whatever color as the owner wants. If the motorcycle is being driven down the roadway, it can display only one white light (headlamp) and no more than two amber lamps (turn signals) to the front. The motorcycle can only display either red or amber lamps to the rear which act as turn signals and stop lamps. Any other light visible from the front or rear would be illegal. All other color combinations are illegal. According to Chapter 625 ILCS Section 5/12-212(c) of the Illinois Vehicle Code, all accent lighting (wheels, fenders, chrome, engine, gas tank, license plate bracket, etc.) is illegal to be lighted while the vehicle is on a roadway. If the vehicle is used for shows, it can be driven on the roadway while equipped with accent lights; however, the lights can not be on."

I sent your question
    (Can someone tell me what the laws are for led accent lighting on motorcycles in IL?)
    to :
    askisp@isp.state.il.us

ASKISP = ask IL State Police : the webpage is http://www.isp.state.il.us/contacts/contacts.cfm

I don't agree with it because alot of motorcycles, like the Goldwings and newer HD's have two or more front headlights. My spyder has four white headlights (counting the fog lights) and four amber lights to the front....
    The Happy Spyderlover

Registered Users The_Spyderwoman's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just went to another site: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...ehicle+Code%2E

This one sounds alot better...the person(s) who answered your question, that I emailed to them, obviously wasn't reading this below.

This is: VEHICLES (625 ILCS 5/) Illinois Vehicle Code from the IL General Assembly site. ( There is alot of information here--more on side lighting etc.) :

(625 ILCS 5/Ch. 12 Art. II heading)
    ARTICLE II. LIGHTS AND LAMPS

(625 ILCS 5/12‑201) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑201)
    Sec. 12‑201. When lighted lamps are required.
    (a) When operated upon any highway in this State, every motorcycle shall at all times exhibit at least one lighted lamp, showing a white light visible for at least 500 feet in the direction the motorcycle is proceeding. However, in lieu of such lighted lamp, a motorcycle may be equipped with and use a means of modulating the upper beam of the head lamp between high and a lower brightness. No such head lamp shall be modulated, except to otherwise comply with this Code, during times when lighted lamps are required for other motor vehicles.
    (b) All other motor vehicles shall exhibit at least 2 lighted head lamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, which satisfy United States Department of Transportation requirements, showing white lights, including that emitted by high intensity discharge (HID) lamps, or lights of a yellow or amber tint, during the period from sunset to sunrise, at times when rain, snow, fog, or other atmospheric conditions require the use of windshield wipers, and at any other times when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 1000 feet. Parking lamps may be used in addition to but not in lieu of such head lamps. Every motor vehicle, trailer, or semi‑trailer shall also exhibit at least 2 lighted lamps, commonly known as tail lamps, which shall be mounted on the left rear and right rear of the vehicle so as to throw a red light visible for at least 500 feet in the reverse direction, except that a truck tractor or road tractor manufactured before January 1, 1968 and all motorcycles need be equipped with only one such tail lamp.
    (c) Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light a rear registration plate when required and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating a rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.
    (d) A person shall install only head lamps that satisfy United States Department of Transportation regulations and show white light, including that emitted by HID lamps, or light of a yellow or amber tint for use by a motor vehicle.
    (e) (Blank).
    (Source: P.A. 96‑487, eff. 1‑1‑10.)

(625 ILCS 5/12‑209) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑209)
    Sec. 12‑209. Additional Lighting Equipment.
    (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than 2 side cowl or fender lamps which shall emit an amber or white light without glare.
    (b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than one running board courtesy lamp on each side thereof which shall emit a white or amber light without glare.
    (c) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with one or more back‑up lamps either separately or in combination with other lamps; but any such back‑up lamp or lamps shall not be lighted when the motor vehicle is in forward motion.
    (Source: P.A. 77‑37.)
    The Happy Spyderlover

Spyder Garage

Terri, thanks for taking the time to research that.
    As far as having more white and amber lights up front, I guess it's one of those things that cops could get you for, but don't.
    Karen

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MizMuffet View Post
    Can someone tell me what the laws are for led accent lighting on motorcycles in IL?

Thanks
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...ionID=88&GA=99
    8/3/2015 House Public Act . . . . . . . . . 99-0242

Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance
    625 ILCS 5/12-209.5 new

Synopsis As Introduced
    Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that a motorcycle may be equipped with auxiliary accent lights, including standard bulb running lights and light emitting diode pods and strips. Provides that the auxiliary accent lights shall not be red or white or oscillating, rotating, or flashing lights. Defines "auxiliary accent light".
    your all good to use them now just as long as there not red or white