Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

not to sound like an a-hole but did they fix problem with sqeaky brakes ..????
    just checking ...looks cool....
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    No...but the squeak has a much throatier sound now.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have a few questions. Some folks stated that the "spy photo" RT looked like the engine cowls were larger than the original Spyder's cowls. I'm not sure I can tell a difference in the official RT photos. Are the cowls bigger and, if so, why? Is the new front end design just for looks or is it functional (better airflow, aerodynamics, etc.)? Does the new engine design have anything to do with fuel economy? IMO, fuel economy is a concern of those who do a lot of touring nowadays.
    Last edited by bjt; 09-02-2009 at 06:47 PM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    welcome GregD
    I think the hand brake is a dead issue, I don't see it ever happening from BRP and I will miss that too.

As far as being reliable, time will tell. If I go by my experience the Spyder is just as reliable as any Honda.
    And if I go from mine it's as reliable as my 57 Pan Head but will say been riding hard last four weeks and no warranty issues so things are lookin up

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default One question for BRP

Are they going to install a decent sounding twin exhaust, a muffler on each side, that has tuned headers? The headers, as you know, on the 08 and 09 leave a lot to be desired. One header pipe is about 12 inches and the other is 3 FT 4 inches, ie: 40 inches. Not real good for equalizing tuning.
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Where's mine?
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

What happened to Yellow? I love the Blue but Yellow if my color
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Is it true that the new screen ask you three random questions about the safety card before it lets you start the engine?

Have a safe ride!

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheeldemon View Post
    Is it true that the new screen ask you three random questions about the safety card before it lets you start the engine?

Have a safe ride!

3WD
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

welcome GregD
    I think the hand brake is a dead issue, I don't see it ever happening from BRP and I will miss that too.

As far as being reliable, time will tell. If I go by my experience the Spyder is just as reliable as any Honda.
    Is rear tire valve stem located opposite drive belt, too check air pressue mor easily ???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    1.When are they available?
    2. Is it or will it be equipped with plug-in intercom between ryder and passenger?
    They should start shipping in Dec.

Yes they will have plug and play intercom.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    1) what type of hitch is on it? Will it fit the current spyder?

2) Have a look at that electric windshield and dash my hopes of a retrofit...LOL!

Thanks Lamont! Have fun with it. Im envious!
    It's their hitch and it is swingarm mounted and will fit our Spyder.

No way on retro fitting anything that I can see so far.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Bigger rear wheel sprockt?
    Nope, same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder990cc View Post
    Is there any difference in the gas tank location and amount of fuel it holds for longer touring runs?
    Same size to but it should get the same mileage as ours. Around 32 mpg I'm guessing but I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Longlegs View Post
    It says gearing is the same. 28/79 or whatever it was.
    I wonder what kind of gas milage to expect. The specs say 6.6 gal tank, that won't get to far at 20mpg. How quiet is it?
    See above comment.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    Will a full-size helmet still fit in the reconfigured front trunk?
    Will a full-size helmet fit in the side and/or rear trunks?
    Are the lights LED or incandescent?
    What kind of financing will BRP offer?
    Is there a BRP trade-up program?
    Will service departments be thoroughly trained on this more-complex machine?
    Front trunk is the same size. The side bags will fit a full face helmet
    Lights are LED

Quote Originally Posted by mdr View Post
    Similar to LJ's questions: what components of the RT (bags, windshield, hitch, etc) will work with the current Spyders?
    Just the hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
    Do you know if they addressed the oil getting in the air box and did they redirect the fuel lines or did they protect them?

Is there still a strict Nanny onboard?

I love it and I'm really thinking about trading my 08 in for tour model. But I need to know MPG and if they made some of these corrections.

I'm thinking about waiting until 2011 and then, make the move.
    Not sure on the oil in the airbox or the fuel lines.
    Nanny should be a little better thanks to the fly by wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Terribull View Post
    1. In the pics it looks like the rear view mirrors are right in front of your hands again. Did they modify this?
    2. I'd also like to ask about the brakes as well. Chris56 already did.
    3. Did they do anything different with the parking brake so it was more convenient to use and not so finicky with sticking?
    4. And just as a side note...I wish they would have made it a 6 speed -- maybe get more mpg.
    Mirrors are huge and look like they will work great. I was not looking at my hands. I'm told there is no vibration in them either.

Not sure about the brakes but the parking brake is operated by a switch now.

Quote Originally Posted by GregD View Post
    I was about to buy an 09 SE5 and set it up for "old guy" touring. Dealer was having trouble getting 3rd party accessories (Corbin, Floorboards, etc.). Looks like the RT will fill my needs nicely. One thing I would like to see on the RT is the Hand Brake. I spent many years on Trials and Enduro bikes. Would like to have that "front brake" lever up there. Old habits die hard. Missed it on my demo ride. Opps. Maybe the ISCI unit would work? Rather have a BRP option, if possible.
    I've been following this site since June. Learned a lot. Hope the nagging problems are being fixed for you guys. I almost decided to pass on the Spyder, because of the dumb problems. I no longer have a fully equipped garage and am hoping for a reliable ride. We are light on dealers around here. That makes me nervous, but I'm ready to buy. Just in time for Colorado winter. 2010 models will be trouble free, just change the oil and ride. Right? So,Lamonster, you can put me down for a Hand Brake, and thank you, and all the other members for the great info.
    The front brake is now being looked at as a option.

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    Don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I have a few questions. Some folks stated that the "spy photo" RT looked like the engine cowls were larger than the original Spyder's cowls. I'm not sure I can tell a difference in the official RT photos. Are the cowls bigger and, if so, why? Is the new front end design just for looks or is it functional (better airflow, aerodynamics, etc.)? Does the new engine design have anything to do with fuel economy? IMO, fuel economy is a concern of those who do a lot of touring nowadays.
    It pretty much is a one piece front now and it is much larger and channels the air to the radiator much better now. The hot air is kicked out to the side now too.

They say that one of the reasons is still gets about the same fuel mileage as ours is the aerodynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    Are they going to install a decent sounding twin exhaust, a muffler on each side, that has tuned headers? The headers, as you know, on the 08 and 09 leave a lot to be desired. One header pipe is about 12 inches and the other is 3 FT 4 inches, ie: 40 inches. Not real good for equalizing tuning.
    They are talking about that too. Maybe next year.

Spyder Garage

They should start shipping in Dec.

Yes they will have plug and play intercom.
    Thank-you very much for the answers
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks, but I'll Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    They should offer something special to the owners that were told that you were gone to get a PE edition 1 thrue 2500 and ended up with a number over 2500 we had to put our money up for almost a year and they handled it like Hurricane Katrina and never did a thing except some Bull press release that was supposed to fix everthing well it didn't at least not with me they would be more a value if they didn't srew up the roll out of the PE Edition This has left a Bad taste in my mouth and feelings with doing buisness with BRP don't get me wrong I like my I have to date purchased 14 H-Ds new some numbered and limited editions true numbers and never had a srcew like that a rain suit some ryding gear something beside a letter (email) until then I'm on the side lines
    PE Edition 3433 out of 2500 Venting

You can have the PE. I'll let them get the bugs worked out b4 I jump. Of course, I just got the one I have and the newness and novelty hasn't worn off yet.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RT

What's a good guess on the annual maintenance cost of the RT?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    No...but the squeak has a much throatier sound now.

Spyder Garage

Have a safe ride!

3WD
    Good one! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default RT5

When is BRP going to get rid of the belt drive and put a drive shaft in so you don't have to adjust and worry about gravel?
    Last edited by Extracool; 09-03-2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Spyder Garage

Default Handle bars?

Does it look like one could put the RT handle bars and ignition shield on a 08-09?
    Happy Owner!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ask my dealer what he would give me for mine

he said top dollar for mine in mint with corbin upgrades is 11000 what a joke

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjense2002 View Post
    Is not, I asked my dealer just for curiosity about RT interest, he toll me that, so far, ALL the requests he has for RT are trade-ins, no new customers (that will probably change once they are on display but, still, will put a lot of pressure on the resale price).

Keeping the thread on track: Great reporting job Lamonster . We will live the "RT tester" life vicariously through your reports and will keep riding our good old SM/SEs!

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjense2002 View Post
    Sorry to say--- but that's about right. Things like this depreciate like crazy during the first year of ownership. You can get a NEW 2008 right now for 11,300.

I think anyone hoping for a decent trade-in value is going to be sorely disappointed. I've got over $20,000 into mine and doubt I would get much more than $10,000 on the open market--- and less if doing a trade-in.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Is not, I asked my dealer just for curiosity about RT interest, he toll me that, so far, ALL the requests he has for RT are trade-ins, no new customers (that will probably change once they are on display but, still, will put a lot of pressure on the resale price).

Keeping the thread on track: Great reporting job Lamonster . We will live the "RT tester" life vicariously through your reports and will keep riding our good old SM/SEs!

3WD
    Doubtful that anyone other than current Spyder owners is aware of the RT right now. Once they get the pics and info out--- they will have plenty of interest from new owners.

The more people that trade in their Spyders -- the less they are going to be worth as the dealers will have too many used ones available.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Doubtful that anyone other than current Spyder owners is aware of the RT right now. Once they get the pics and info out--- they will have plenty of interest from new owners.

The more people that trade in their Spyders -- the less they are going to be worth as the dealers will have too many used ones available.
    I dont own a Spyder, but I do know about the RT... hahaha Just picking.
    Casey