Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Pass armrest install - What am I missing?!

This post is for 2020+ RTL owners who have installed the BRP Passenger Armrests.

I broke down and paid for the armrests. Installation has been fairly simple. However, the rubber cover on the passenger heated grips is not fitting back into place in a functional, aesthetic manner. What was a flat area is now curved with the armrests. What has been done by other owners to make this more attractive? I only have written directions online, no videos. Am I missing a step or is it just going to be wonky?

Also, the rear plate of the new passenger armrests do not meet up with the panel. There is a gap between the two. Once again, am I missing a step or is this another wonky thing for this $450 item?

Spyder Garage

Either by perseverance or stubbornness and a box cutter I made things fit. Instead of trying to use the rubber boot outside of the armrests, I put the armrests on top of the rubber boot. I got one side to fit ok but trimmed a little on the second one. I will try to add a picture to show the fit and lousy finish.

20210324_180710.jpg

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem but no one responded to it. I finally trimmed the rubber boot at the juncture of the armrest like you did. Looks ok but it seems like BRP also owes us some trim pieces to fix that gap at the armrest and body. Have given some thought to getting a sheet of rubber to slide under the armrest to fill the gap. BTW, I had fun getting the rear seat off. I eventually pushed one foot long 1/2 inch dowels under the tangs to hold them back so I could just lift the seat up.
    Spyder Stephen
    I can't be lost, I don't know where I'm going...

Spyder Garage

Hi,

Thank you for the post.
    Glad I haven't installed the ones I ordered for my 2020 RT Limited.
    I'm going to send them back to the vendor.
    Can-Am should have never sold this part without it fitting properly.
    Howard

Spyder Garage

My wife got to use the armrests on a day trip we made this past Saturday. Four hours out and back to meet up with another Spyder riding couple for lunch. She loved the armrests. Felt secure and comfortable. It is a shame that for the price, BRP couldn't make them fit better.

Spyder Garage

I had same fitment problems. Here is what happened. They had an office party and they got drunk then remembered they forgot to design the arm rests so they did it in 15 min and WALA. Arm rests that don't fit. Some people have the best jobs.

On a side note, YES I thought about trimming out the stock closeout that you remove to replace with the one that don't fit anyway. The rubber I think sandwiched the trim pieces if I remember it right. Im not sure as I was cussing the whole time I installed them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    My wife got to use the armrests on a day trip we made this past Saturday. Four hours out and back to meet up with another Spyder riding couple for lunch. She loved the armrests. Felt secure and comfortable. It is a shame that for the price, BRP couldn't make them fit better.
    Curious, it looks like these armrest do not swing out of the way to make it easier for the passenger to get on/off the bike. Did it cause your wife any problems in that regard?