Spyder Garage

Default Anyone changed their 2020 RT Ltd antenna? Poor reception!

Has anyone tried to change antena on 2020 rt ltd. My reception is real bad.

Spyder Garage

In my case it was not the antenna. It was a bad cable connection from the radio module to the antenna connection.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

There's that! ^^

And another thing that might be contributing to poor radio reception could be the amount of thread-locker put on the antenna base!! The antenna needs to have a fairly good earth/clean connection to the base it's mounted on; so too does the base itself need to have a fairly good earth/connection to the frame it is mounted on (unless you're using a 'ground independent' antenna, anyway! ); same thing with any 'screwed connections' in mounting the base &/or connecting the co-ax - and BRP seems to massively excessively plaster the stuff onto every screwed fitting they can find!!

Many have significantly improved their radio reception simply by removing the antenna and cleaning both its thread & the thread it screws into/onto on the base to remove the excessive thread locker! Even just removing most of it tends to improve reception in many cases! Gotta be worth a shot!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere so there aren't any good stations around here. Because of this, I rarely listen to FM. I added a shorty antenna (from Spyderpops, I think). Not only does it look much cleaner but I can actually get a few stations now. My original antenna had a TON of Loctite on it (although it was the "good" blue stuff and not the sh***y yellow crap that BuRP is famous for). Easy to swap the antennas out.

Spyder Garage

how did you remove old antenna? I looked at mine and the antenna is just a grommet through the plastic and a wire running from the antenna to a bolt on the frame.

Spyder Garage

my antenna does not screw in. It is a grommet through the plastic and a wire from the bottom of the antenna to a bolt on the frame. 2020 rt ltd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It unscrews.

Spyder Garage

sduskin, how did you fix your connection from the radio module to the antenna connection? Can you elaborate?
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

Not to hyjack this thread but I am disappointed in the entire radio setup on a $28K machine. Not only no AM band, no weather band, but no usb input to plug a usb drive in loaded with music. Yes I know there are work arounds concerning this weaknesses but why Can Am is this needed, are you listening Can Am. Hopefully in the near future Honda, Yamaha or another brand will bring out an alternative and folks will fly to these offerings unless Can Am can get into the state of the art. Personally I would like to stay loyal but things have to get better.
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    ...are you listening Can Am...
    They are not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good one Monk. I need to check out that SpyderPops antenna, although I so rarely use radio, I need to think spending the $. That is one ambiguous sentence as I proof read it, oh well.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Good one Monk. I need to check out that SpyderPops antenna, although I so rarely use radio, I need to think spending the $. That is one ambiguous sentence as I proof read it, oh well.....
    Hey, Bill. If nothing else, the shorty antenna does (2) things. First, there's less antenna to catch on things, whether it's a cover or your foot. Second, it just looks better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Monk, hmmm, still not sure about the 'antenna', you know, the cover thing is a problem right out of the box. :>)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Thanks Monk, hmmm, still not sure about the 'antenna', you know, the cover thing is a problem right out of the box. :>)
    I'm NOT a big cover fan which is why I bought one of those Shed-In-A-Box things last year to house the RT. Woodaddict helped me to assemble it. The local Planning Director called me last week to let me know she made a mistake when she originally told me it would be ok to put up and now she says it's out of code. I'd need to spend about $1500 to get it "corrected". Screw that. Looks like I'll end up using a cover again.

Spyder Garage

It was one of things the dealer did when he had it disassembled for the recall work.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark