Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New to spyder I have 2 questions

new to spyder I have 2 questions bare with me I have a 2020 {just got}

Will red button engine stop switch run battery down if left down {my battery was dead this morning }
    and what size tires are you running

thanks in advance

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Questions

Welcome to the Spyder Forum. The engine stop will not run the battery down. Not sure what is causing your problem. Did you check the battery voltage? It should be 12.8 volts. Check if the battery cables are tight.

What size are your tires? Are they worn out? Please post any additional information.......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

no not worn out only have 50 miles on spyder Its new I posted It seemed to wobble down road and some suggested different tires than the OEM I'm new so I have to learn how to ride it

Spyder Garage

Default Starting Issues

What about your start Issue? Is it the battery or cable? The engine stop switch needs to in the run position for the engine to crank. ......

Spyder Garage

battery was dead

Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder

How long have you owned this Spyder? Did you purchase it from a local dealer? Are you able to check out the battery? ......

Spyder Garage

I purchased from dealer about 100 miles away in different state about month ago battery is up to 12v now after charging bike starts fine now

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    I purchased from dealer about 100 miles away in different state about month ago battery is up to 12v now after charging bike starts fine now
    Newbe's tend to over steer Spyders. Lightly grip or just rest your hands on the handle bars and guide it down the road like an egg you do not want to crush!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder

Did you buy it as a new or demo unit? Just wanted to know about warranty. Another thing if it sat for the month this may have been a problem. Charge the battery at 1amps for 2 or 3 hours and check the voltage, needs to be about 12.7 volts. ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you turn the key off after you used the kill button. If you left the key on, the battery will run down. I've done it
    by accident, so it does happen, which is why I rarely use the kill button.

Check the air pressure in the tires, should be around 15-16 psi in the fronts, about 18-20 psi in the rear. Many have said
    that over pressurized tires will make the Spyder skittish.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I purchased new and extra warranty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Check the air pressure in the tires, should be around 15-16 psi in the fronts, about 18-20 psi in the rear. Many have said
    Only on car tires. The OEM Kendas require quite a bit more pressure, closer to ~19# on the fronts and 26-28# on the rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Only on car tires. The OEM Kendas require quite a bit more pressure, closer to ~19# on the fronts and 26-28# on the rear.
    On Peggy's 2013 the manual recommends 13-15 psi for the fronts, but you're right about the rear. I was thinking of the car tires.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

It sounds like battery needs a charge issue. Shame on the dealer for not prepping, if that is the case.

I would give the OEM tires a chance. You need to put some miles on (most need 500) to get acclimated to the new way to ride. I took almost 1500 miles to get comfortable back in 2008 when they were brand new to the world.

My original statement was that tire problems can happen, but that is usually very RARE. There are a few who don't like the Kenda's from the get go. I am different, I have over 175,000 assorted miles on Kenda, and have never had an issue or a failure. Now that I am in an area where I can buy "darkside" tires, that is what I will buy when it is time for a replacement. Getting a new rear on my 2019 F3 at 13K miles in a couple weeks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome.

Spyder Garage

Default Battery

How is your battery now? I hope you are able to charge it with a 1amp or less charger. A Spyder battery needs to be low amp charged.

Something else, when you ryde your Spyder, it is best to ryde for a least an hour to charge the battery.

As for learning to ryde a Spyder it took me about 1500 miles to get the comfort zone. I came from 2 wheels to 3 wheels. The Spyder is a wonderful ryde once you get the feel. Practice in a large open area/parking lot and just enjoy it. .....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    new to spyder I have 2 questions bare with me I have a 2020 {just got}

Will red button engine stop switch run battery down if left down {my battery was dead this morning }
    and what size tires are you running

thanks in advance
    If you haven't already get a Deltran battery tender junior from local Walmart . It comes with leads to install on battery posts and let's you plug in to charge when needed.
    I keep my Spyder on the tender when ever I am not ryding. The battery is always fully charged and ready to go when you are.
    I replaced my front tires at 9500 miles on my 2017 RTL with Federal Formoza AZ01 in the stock size. These tires are awesome. Kenda tires are known to have problems
    Even from new.Read up on this forum about all the problems members have had with the stock tires. Problems went away when they installed car tires on the front.
    I installed car tires because of age of the stock tires. Hope you can get this issue solved. The Spyder is a joy to ride once you get it set up right.
    Ryde safe and enjoy the new Spyder.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome SpyderLovers! I put foam handlebar covers on my RTS. Helped a lot. All the comments above about handling are helpful. I recommend reading the do's and do nots posting for newbies.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I agree on the foam grips ..one of the first things I added to mine..
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

As to you battery issue,did you remember to turn the key off after you pushed the red button?
    Your handling issues can be induced by 3 things in a new Spyder.
    1) You are gripping the bars too hard, a common problem with new riders. Relax your grip and let the Spyder find its own way. Don't micromanage the steering.
    2) The alignment from the factory is off also a common problem on new Spyders. Your dealer does not know how to fix this unless he has a laser alignment system and knows how to use it. Mostly these are done by third party suppliers such as Squared Away or Lamonster. There may be others.
    3) possible that you have a bad tire. Have your dealer check. If they are not bad then ride them to worn out,it won't take long. Then replace with your choice of premium car tires get a better tire for less money.
    Be patient with yourself and your Spyder. It is a great ride and will reward you with many enjoyable miles as you get used to it and how to successfully ride it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My new 2021 RT EF6 will Have been mine since last Saturday, 3-6-21, and I have managed to only put 250 smile inducing miles on it so far, due to RAIN of Biblical proportions in SW Missouri.

My Spyder may be NEW but I have been riding 2 wheels for 58 years and a total of 89 bikes/ Scooters so far! So my advice is probably not as 'seasoned' as the others have offered but here goes:

On a GOOD, FLAT and SMOOTH road, my Spyder rides like a 1978 Cadillac ElDorado, meaning like a vehicle from Heaven!

I live in the Country and even to my offices that are 11 miles away, the Rural roads are like Normandy after the Allied invasion! Irregular surfaces that are crowned and canted will cause even my Brand new GMC, 4x4, Duramax, 3/4 ton pickup to move around some and my last bike, a new 2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports did the same and it had the best suspension in existence!

Trying to fight these surfaces is like an amateur fighting Mike Tyson; a losing proposition.

Relaxing the hands helps a lot but just allowing the Spyder to 'hunt' a little, without over reacting or instantly forcing a Straight line, will really help.

I'm very new at this but I did race the DREADED Honda 3 wheel ATV's in Desert competition at very high speeds and the same LEANING and shifting weight techniques I'm sure made learning to ride my Spyder much easier.

I suggest learning to ride out in the Country away from lots of traffic and crazy drivers! Just watch out for ROADKILL, which to avoid takes more skill than riding the Beast!

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Spyder Garage

foam grips ordered I checked psi it is 17 on both front tires

Spyder Garage

Default Battery

How did your Battery charge and check work out?

Spyder Garage

good thanks for asking

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Did you turn the key off after you used the kill button. If you left the key on, the battery will run down. I've done it
    by accident, so it does happen, which is why I rarely use the kill button.

I agree. If the ignition switch was left on the gauges and displays were probably still being powered. That would drain the battery over time.