Spyder Garage

Default Storing Spyder for winter?

I live in Minnesota and my winters are really bad. It's starting to get cold here and having never had a motorcycle before I'm not sure what I need to do with my Spyder when the time comes that I can't ride it anymore. Any tips from you long time motorcycle and Spyder owners?

I do have a garage, but it's unheated and uninsulated.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Storage

I live in northern Illinois, and also store my Spyder in an unheated garage. You need to invest in a battery tender, this will keep the battery up all winter even though the bike is not being run, additionally, you'll also want to stabilize the remaining gas in the tank. Any hardware or automotive store will carry fuel stabilizer. Follow the directions for the proper mixing ratio. Run the bike for a few minutes to circulate the stabilizer through the system. Hook up the battery tender and cover her up. I followed this simple procedure this past winter, and Spydie fired right up this spring.

Spyder Garage

Default The solution

Move to

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kytten View Post
    I live in Minnesota and my winters are really bad. It's starting to get cold here and having never had a motorcycle before I'm not sure what I need to do with my Spyder when the time comes that I can't ride it anymore. Any tips from you long time motorcycle and Spyder owners?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    I live in northern Illinois, and also store my Spyder in an unheated garage. You need to invest in a battery tender, this will keep the battery up all winter even though the bike is not being run, additionally, you'll also want to stabilize the remaining gas in the tank. Any hardware or automotive store will carry fuel stabilizer. Follow the directions for the proper mixing ratio. Run the bike for a few minutes to circulate the stabilizer through the system. Hook up the battery tender and cover her up. I followed this simple procedure this past winter, and Spydie fired right up this spring.
    There is a thorough procedure in the Owner's Manual. In my opinion, too thorough. I agree with jmcbow on the important steps...Battery Tender, stabilize the fuel (Stabil or Sea Foam), and top off the tank. Got us through last winter in Michigan, and takes care of one of my BMWs. Spyder should also be clean and waxed/polished, IMO. The 21 vintage bikes are not ridden often, and get a more thorough mothballing.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Or, like bjt and me in Michigan and tatt2r in NH and Nick Caro in NY, you could just ride. We ride year round as long as they have the snow and ice off the roads. I bundle up and I'm ready to go. Also, when we had a couple of weeks in a row that we couldn't ride due to a very hard Jan. last year. They sat in our unheated garage with no prep and they started right up again when we needed them.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Or, like bjt and me in Michigan and tatt2r in NH and Nick Caro in NY, you could just ride. We ride year round as long as they have the snow and ice off the roads. I bundle up and I'm ready to go. Also, when we had a couple of weeks in a row that we couldn't ride due to a very hard Jan. last year. They sat in our unheated garage with no prep and they started right up again when we needed them.
    I did the same thing last winter and had no problems.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There is a thorough procedure in the Owner's Manual. In my opinion, too thorough. I agree with jmcbow on the important steps...Battery Tender, stabilize the fuel (Stabil or Sea Foam), and top off the tank. Got us through last winter in Michigan, and takes care of one of my BMWs. Spyder should also be clean and waxed/polished, IMO. The 21 vintage bikes are not ridden often, and get a more thorough mothballing.
    I did all the above but also used fogging oil and also plugged up the muffler pipes to keep moisture and other things out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    live in Southern Wisconsin and did the exact same steps last November. started right up this past March with 0 issues.
    Very Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone seen the Harley Bubbles? Looks too narrow for a Spyder, but a great idea none the less.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Make sure you use a breathable indoor cover. Rapid temperature changes inside a cold garage can cause condensation on metal (and even plastic) under a cover.
    Last edited by BRPjunkie; 09-01-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kytten View Post

I agree with jmcbow. Stabilizer for the gas and hook up the battery tender and your good to go. As czdaryle suggested you could fog the engine, it certainly wouldn't hurt, although IMHO not necessary. I fog my sleds because they sit through the most humid time of the year. I have never done it with my bike or lawnmowers. I hope to extend my riding season with the Spyder over the motorcycle, but once that salt hits the roads she doesn't come back out until spring. As also mentioned it never hurts to stuff coarse steel wool in the exhaust pipe, keeps those mice from building a nest in there. For my sleds I also place about 3 or 4 Bounce dryer sheets around the engine compartment. It's supposed to keep mice out, don't know if it really works or not but I've never had a mouse get into my sleds and chew on the wiring. Coincidence?
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Last year in CT, I rolled the out of the garage every 1-2 weeks and ran it for 30 minutes. A can of SeaFoam in the tank.

No other winterizing, just diligent in starting it and getting everything hot.
    Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Spyder Garage

I'm fortunate enough to have heated storage at work--- and I start it up every few weeks during the winter and let it idle up to running temp. Some have said you should not do this if you are storing in the cold.

I also use the battery tender-- even use it every few weeks during the summer. Never hurts to use it too much.

As far as riding in the winter months---- pretty crazy thing to do IMO.
    Even after the road seem 'clean' there is bound to be tons of salt residue--- and the Spyder has tons of cheap hardware that will rust. The Spyder also handles like doodoo on snow/ice.

Not to mention you have REAL winters over in MN compared to MI or NY. I've got family that lives in Rochester--- when they first moved there 30 years ago they didn't understand why there were 'parking meters' at work. Upon closer look - they were 'parking plugs'---- as in if you don't plug your car in while you're at work (block heater)---- you aren't going home at the end of the day!

I'm would just do the gas treatment - run it in good so it's throughout the system - and keep the battery tender on all the time.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Ah . . . . Winter in Minnesota.

I agree with Scotty, read the Spyder Storage procedures in your Owner's Manual (page 78 of mine).

The big points:
    Antifreeze/Coolant
    Just as you do with your car, make sure the coolant/anti-freeze is filled. The standard BRP product is rated to -34F. Last year, Minneapolis got down to -20F in January 2009, but your average lows are around Zero.

Battery
    A battery tender is a very good idea.

Fuel
    Yes, stabilize the fuel. By doing this, it chemically absorbs any water/moisture that is in the fuel system and keeps it from condensing out, gathering on internal metal parts and causing rust to form.

Keep it dry.
    For motor cycles and other equipment going into storage for Winter (and even other seasons) water condensation is the biggest problem. As metal (or anything else)cools to the temperatures around it, humidity in the air will condense on it. This is what you see forming on the glass of a cool drink in Summer. In winter, you will see this as frost.
    Metal takes longer to warm up, so any humidity in the air will collect on it. So as water melts and evaporates, any cold metal will be collecting the moisture. Given enough contact time and occurrences, the water will react with some of the metals and rust or discolorations will result. This can be unattractive, but on components like the dashboard (which has air vents or slots) the corrosion can destroy wires and circuit boards. On an all weather vehicle like a motorcycle, these components are protected, but they are not impervious to prolonged exposures to dampness.

There is also the problem of water pooling in small cracks and crevasses and going thorough freeze/thaw cycles. This is generally not an issue on motorcycles.

It is best to keep your Spyder dry as you can when in storage. A breathable cover will let moisture escape and keep moisture from falling on it. There are products that collect moisture and small fans and heaters that you can put under the cover. Some people put a shop light on the floor, even this little bit of heat will circulate the air and help move the humidity out of the cover.

Some here have recommended using an oil or wax on the metal parts. That works, like oiling a gun before putting it away, but to be practical, you will not be able to coat all the metal parts of a Spyder.

In general, do the coolant/antifreeze, battery, fuel and keep it as dry as you can. After all, the Spyder is an outdoor vehicle and getting wet will not destroy it. If it is in your garage, remove any snow, slush, ice that falls off your car - that will help keep the humidity down. While Winters generally are less humid than other seasons, the cooling/condensation cycles are more critical for internal systems and exterior metal parts since you are not riding for an extended period of time.

Oh, and it also helps if you put it away clean. Some things are harder to clean off if they have had time to sit - just like the dishes.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I like to store mine with Fresh Oil in addition to what you have said above. Living in Ontario, I store L'il Miss Muffet for about 5 months, unheated

Spyder Garage

Default It depends . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'm fortunate enough to have heated storage at work--- and I start it up every few weeks during the winter and let it idle up to running temp. Some have said you should not do this if you are storing in the cold.
    In the Maintenance Manual ( not the owners manual ) it instructs the service shop NOT to run the engine during the storage period. But that is mainly because ( I am guessing) they have treated the throttle with oil. Running the Spyder would remove that.

Does not apply to you since the dealer did not prep it.

One other long storage recommendation from the MM is to put a plastic bag over the end of the muffler to keep moisture from entering into the exhaust chamber.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default same here

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    Last year in CT, I rolled the out of the garage every 1-2 weeks and ran it for 30 minutes. A can of SeaFoam in the tank.

No other winterizing, just diligent in starting it and getting everything hot.

I live in connecticut. Idid the same thing.

Spyder Garage

i HAVE A TRICKEL CHAGER ON MINE ON A TIMER AND A SMALL HEATER IN MY TRAILER ON A TIMER IF SNOWED i WOULD KEEP IT ON LOW SO THE BIKE STAYS IN A WARM TRAILER V ENT IS OPEN A LITTLE GAS IS FULL STABLIZER IN HER SHE STARTS EVERY TIME IN SPRING 2008 SM5 LIKE THE DAY i GOT HER MY ANGLE HASN'T LET ME DOWN NOT ONCE ..lOVE MY

Spyder Garage

make sure to plug the exaust i had a mouse get in the cyl. of a bike once and built a nest. pretty sure BRP wont waranty that.