Spyder Garage

Default Tell me your experience with the Zumo XT?

Paid for the genius maps programs and spent last summer trying to learn to like it but I’m giving up. I don’t want to spend next summer as frustrated as I was this year. Has anyone had experience with the Zumo XT?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
    Paid for the genius maps programs and spent last summer trying to learn to like it but I’m giving up. I don’t want to spend next summer as frustrated as I was this year. Has anyone had experience with the Zumo XT?
    I heartily endorse the Zumo XT.

PH000388.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I don't have the XT but do have the 595. As for map planning, Basecamp (free from Garmin) has been my go-to routing app for several years. I use it for day trip loops and multi-state long-haul touring. Easy to copy the created route by drag & drop to the GPS unit. On the road, the GPS route can be altered manually or automatically if you go off the planned path.
    Some of my friends use smart phone apps but they fall short of the Garmin capabilities when on the road and when creating routes. They usually just load the GPX file and follow along whoever has the Garmin unit running the route.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I heartily endorse the Zumo XT.

PH000388.jpg
    Just watched some YouTube videos on it. Sure seems nice and I always liked my old Zumo. Do you have to take some body parts off to wire it? Where did you purchase?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just watched some YouTube videos on it. Sure seems nice and I always liked my old Zumo. Do you have to take some body parts off to wire it? Where did you purchase?
    I'm not ThreeWheels but I've got the same set up he has (down to the Helibars ). I bought mine from Lamonster. You need to remove (3) of the right side tupperware but it's surprisingly easy to do. I'm mechanically challenged and I had the tupperware off in about 10 minutes. My only issue was with the wiring as I didn't have the proper tools (or know-how) to figure out the correct polarity. NOTE: Quite a few have noted that the factory GPS plug/wiring is backwards.

I'd suggest you search the site for more info on the installation. There are quite a few good threads about it, especially the one started by jetfixer.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

NOTE: Quite a few have noted that the factory GPS plug/wiring is backwards.
    Don't assume! You need to check the polarity of the wires on the GPS plug before wiring to verify the hot lead. Mine was correct as were many others here. If you don't have a meter, use a 12v light with wires. Ground 1 wire to a known frame ground and probe the plug with the other wire. When the light lights, you found the +12v wire.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

I also could not deal with BRP's recommended products so I went to the XT and I am very pleased with it.

Spyder Garage

Long time Garmin user. Just got an XT and swapped it for my 595. Garmin hit this one completely out of the park.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sygic GPS Nav is the newer app and not as expensive as Genius and way cheaper than any Garmin.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Here is a video made by Paul Metheney.

https://youtu.be/YGLGiz7Ho9g

It's an excellent video but runs a bit quickly through the steps.
    Just pause it to give yourself enough time to read the directions on the screen.

You remove three panels. The connector is shown in the red circle: Check Monk's post #13 for the correct location of the connector.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Went from a Garmin 660 to the XT.......wow.....tremendous difference.....I really like the weather radar overlay feature.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Ok. I’m convinced. Now another question- does the XT play through the bikes speakers? And/or through our Sena intercoms? Does the music volume mute when the XT gives directions?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    The connector is shown in the red circle:
    Sorry, but the GPS connector is actually in the yellow box. It's in a dummy connector on the bike. Push the lever on the wired part of the connector and pull out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Depending on the Sena model you have, you can set the GPS input to cut out the music when talking or just lower the music volume. The GPS is not the deciding factor. Same story with bike speakers, it depends on the bike's radio inputs. You can usually connect the GPS via BT or audio-in plug. Then if the bike has BT to helmet option, you can select between speakers or helmet output.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The XT is BT only. According to Lamont, the only way to BT it to the bike is using a BT convertor (can't remember the exact name) via the 3.5mm AUX plug in the glovebox/frunk/trunk. Not sure why you can't BT the XT directly to the bike w/o using a convertor.

Spyder Garage

I believe the 2020 RT base radio only has BT OUT to helmet. Amazon sells the 3.5 to BT adapter.
    https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl...dp_ob_title_ce

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ALL 2020+ RTs have the same radio. There was no upgraded radio for the Limited models. Lamont sells a similar adapter/converter/receiver. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/bluet...br1-lamonster/