Spyder Garage

Default GIVI V46 topcase wiring

I'm helping a buddy install his V46 topcase with Givi light kit. Does the GIVI light draw enough current to make the computer cranky if I tap into the brake light wiring to feed the topcase as an auxiliary stop lamp? If so, what do I need to add to the circuit to take it to it's "happy place?"

Thanks one and all for any input.
    John Wells
    Hollidaysburg, PA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just tapped into running light wire when I installed my GIVI topcase E52NF. I later converted to LEDs in topcase and wired to both running and brake wires under seat - - no problems - - Nanny is happy.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

The GIVI-supplied lighting kit for the V46 is two lead only, either running or stop-lamp, not both. If I wire it per GIVI's instructions will the Nanny kick in?

If the nanny kicks in, will I need the BUDS system to clear it from limp mode, or will it clear itself when I disconnect the wires from the offending light? We just lost our local dealer thanks to BRP's heavy handed marketing practices, so now it's a 2-hour one-way to the nearest dealer!
    John Wells
    Hollidaysburg, PA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Nanny did not kick in on me. I started with just two wire and wired up running lights only - worked fine. Then bought LED conversion kit for Givi top case with controller and wired up both running and braking, works great.

Several people have added loading to the taillights circuit. It appears the issue with the Nanny is not adding loads, it is having no load (both bulbs burning out for example).
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

Hey! You'll love the extra carrying space! We have the v46, tapped the brake lite circuit (ahead of the TriplePlay). No nanny issues.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What color is the brake light circuit wire that you tapped?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    What color is the brake light circuit wire that you tapped?
    Got the answer from old post by Scotty on his hyperlites; white is brake light, orange is tail light.

Spyder Garage

Got the answer from old post by Scotty on his hyperlites; white is brake light, orange is tail light.
    Does it matter what year?
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default Givi Trunk

At ISCI we have developed a bracket system that elimates the excess wires that are visible after installation. Also moves the blinkers under the seat to get them off the rear fender. Only installed a handfull at this point as it has not officially been released. If anyone is interested let me know and I will send you a photograph.

ISCI Billy

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Reagrding brake light for Givi trunk lights and no nanny problems. Some have replaced the Givi lights with LEDs and see no nanny issues due to very low added draw. Are others using stock Givi bulb? Is the stock bulb in the Givi trunk standard 1157 bulb with 5watt/21watt filaments and does this extra load cause nanny issues?
    Last edited by BRPjunkie; 08-28-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reagrding brake light for Givi trunk lights and no nanny problems. Some have replaced the Givi lights with LEDs and see no nanny issues due to very low added draw. Are others using stock Givi bulb? Is the stock bulb in the Givi trunk standard 1157 bulb with 5watt/21watt filaments and does this extra load cause nanny issues?
    Sorry I don't remember the wattage for the two bulbs that my GIVI trunk lights were before I changed to LEDs (at least 50) plus controller. I did have the two standard bulbs hooked to running lights for about a month. No trouble. I doubt (don't know) that Nanny cares how much you draw (the fuse will), only that both bulbs are out.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default givi trunk lights

I have a givi trunk mounted and have brake light power all the way to the lights but they still didn't work so I just leave them disconnected,,They came with LEDS that are about $90.00 bucks for replacements. I just give up on haveing lights in the trunk at all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nightcruiser View Post
    I have a givi trunk mounted and have brake light power all the way to the lights but they still didn't work so I just leave them disconnected,,They came with LEDS that are about $90.00 bucks for replacements. I just give up on haveing lights in the trunk at all.
    Are you sure you have the polarity correct? LEDS won't light if they are wired backwards.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default the lights work

Just not the way they are supposed to

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Are you sure you have the polarity correct? LEDS won't light if they are wired backwards.

Spyder Garage

Default 3rd brake light and GIVI lights

I made my own mount to put the turn signals and a third brake light under the seat on the back tire pan cover. I mounted a GIVI E55 bag on top and do not have any electrical issues. I tried using smaller lights but the wattage was higher than stock so it threw the nanny completely out of wack. Our mechanic said he could tell the computer to use a 21 watt Euopean system for the lights if it still had issues. All of the extra lights I added are LED's and no issues since they use so little power.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default triple play

Turns out the whole problem came from the fact that I had replaced the taillight bulbs with LED bulb replacements and the Nanny didn't like it and set up a VSS fault. Changed them back to incandesent bulbs and all is good.