Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Larger windshield--is it really needed?

I see that there are a lot of Spyder-owners who have replaced their stock windshield with larger unit. I am debating whether to do this. Seeing so many owners have done this, it tells me that a lot of people must have thought there was a valid reason to go with the larger windshield. However, I am not certain if it is really needed and I would like to hear your opinions. I am about 5'11" tall. When I ride at at about 45mph, I really don't feel too much wind on my chest or in my face. While riding, if I put my hand about 5 or 6 inches above my helmet, I really feel the wind. I can move my hand around in a circle around and see where there is a lot of wind turbulence and where there is less. So, it appears the stock windshield is doing its job--diverting the air over my head or around me. I do feel some wind in my abdomen area, but not nearly as much as above my head. Am I missing something? I don't have risers on my Spyder--is there more turbulence with the higher posture? I appreciate your comments.

Spyder Garage

welcome It's all personal preference. I didn't like the stock windshield and that was my first mod. I thought my Calsci windshield was great until I got the Corbin seat and ESI risers which make me sit higher/more upright. Now I'm planning on getting a CHAD.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Yes, it is a personal preference. At 45 MPH, the wind is actually rather nice. At highway speeds it really beats you up and a larger windshield deflects all that wind and allows you ride longer and arrive more rested.

Even in this God awful hot summer we're having here in Texas, I never once thought about putting the stock one back on.
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

welcome
    Happy Spyder Owner!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It is to each his own. I have gone from stock to big to shorty. I like my shorter the most. The stock put the wind right at my head, the shorty puts it right at my chest so I don't mind. The bigger shields, nice for long trips but takes away alot of the sport of the bike. Something I prefer to keep. There are so many options for you out there, good luck.

Very Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default High winds

Quote Originally Posted by spydergeek View Post
    I see that there are a lot of Spyder-owners who have replaced their stock windshield with larger unit. I am debating whether to do this. Seeing so many owners have done this, it tells me that a lot of people must have thought there was a valid reason to go with the larger windshield. However, I am not certain if it is really needed and I would like to hear your opinions. I am about 5'11" tall. When I ride at at about 45mph, I really don't feel too much wind on my chest or in my face. While riding, if I put my hand about 5 or 6 inches above my helmet, I really feel the wind. I can move my hand around in a circle around and see where there is a lot of wind turbulence and where there is less. So, it appears the stock windshield is doing its job--diverting the air over my head or around me. I do feel some wind in my abdomen area, but not nearly as much as above my head. Am I missing something? I don't have risers on my Spyder--is there more turbulence with the higher posture? I appreciate your comments.
    With the stock windshield I felt like I was in a hurricane at highway speeds. Not very comfortable. If you wear a full face helmet (which I don't usually do) it is not quite as bad; However will still beat you up pretty good.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

I still get some buffeting with the tall CHAD, but it did cut it down quite a bit.

It is also my primary bug catcher, and the Chad mount is awesome for mounting my GPS... for the moment.

It also helps a bit in the rain.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't say it is needed but definately makes winter riding nicer. I have a Medium CalSci that i use during the winter but the stock windshield goes on for the spring/summer/fall.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Each it's own... I get whip-lashed bad on the freeway even with a full face-helmet... I am getting the Chad.

welcome Enjoy your new ryde and ryde safe.
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

no................
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I have found that with the Robobracket from Madstad and their 20" shield I get the best overall wind protection of any I have tried so far. It is amazing how a smaller shield that looks nice on the spyder does the best job. I sincerely believe it has to do with the adjustability of the brackets, enabling you to set the shield to your preferences.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I hate the look of the taller windshields so I'm sticking with stock. I wear a full face helmet so wind isn't too much of a concern for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Installed the large windshield a few weeks ago. It has made a big difference for me and increased riding comfort and pleasure. I'm 6' 3" so the stock windshield just wasn't cutting it. I have a Nolan full face helmet which I can raise/lower and with the new windshield I can leave the helmet up most of the time even a highway speeds.

Spyder Garage

Default personal preference

As has been stated, we all have a personal preference on the larger windshield.

I come from Goldwing past, and have risers and Corbin seats to give me the more upright posture I prefer. My large Calsci is perfect for me. At slower speeds I prefer my shorty helmet, and on the highway my Aria full face eliminates any remnant breeze not deflected with the CalSci. I am also about 5'11".
    VERY HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

2009 Full Moon SE5 - trunk liner, 12 v, fog lights, Calsci large windshield, 4" NMN Risers,
    KURY ISO grips, throttleboss, KM mirror extensions, KM highway brackets with KURY ISO wings,
    Corbin Bags, saddles, Smuggler trunk, BRP Outdoor Cover, Zumo 550

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    I have found that with the Robobracket from Madstad and their 20" shield I get the best overall wind protection of any I have tried so far. It is amazing how a smaller shield that looks nice on the spyder does the best job. I sincerely believe it has to do with the adjustability of the brackets, enabling you to set the shield to your preferences.

Another vote here for the Madstad setup. It allows you to adjust the windshield to give you as much or as little wind as you want. I have it adjusted so I get a fair amount of wind all over but it keeps off the heavy wind from sustained highway riding.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

If you are comfortable with the stock windshield, keep it an spend your money on travel or some other mods.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    If you are comfortable with the stock windshield, keep it an spend your money on travel or some other mods.
    Nice summary! I think it's very much a personal thing for those of us in warmer climes. If I were further north, I might consider a larger shield to extend the riding season. I don't mind the buffeting too much, but freezing wind chill's another thing entirely.

Of course, now this thread has me interested in the 20"/Robo bracket set-up, so I hope to see one of those in use some day.
    Happy 2010 Orbital Blue Spyder RT-S Owner
    TricLED Vader Lightswith Blue Tunnel Lights Option, Aqua Glo-Ryders, TricLED Fender Lights, TricLED Invisible Brake/Running Lights, TricLED Trunk Light.

Spyder Garage

Default I like the shorty.

I have the Ultra-sport and I've been very happy with it. I did just buy the 25" BRP which is also good, but apparently I'm used to the wind and I just got really hot with the bigger windshield. So I took it off until the weather gets colder.

Also, when I had the taller windshield on, I felt more pressure on my hands, so obviously the wind is holding me up (I'm lazy, I guess).

I LOVE my

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Spyder Garage

Default CHAD here...

I was okay with the stock shield until my trip to Lake George. About six hours R/T (~ 385 miles) in one day, all highway and I was a bit fatigued. Not to mention the last 30 miles home in a torrential downpour.

So, in preparation for the Gatlinburg trip (1000 miles one-way) I purchased a CHAD to help block the wind, rain, etc. Let you know how it worked out when I return

The stock shield will probably go back on for in State driving
    Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Spyder Garage

Reason why I got mine - so I wouldn't have to wear a full face helmet. I can wear a shorty or no helmet at all with my CHAD and my hair doesn't end up in knots after the ride. It was a girl thang w/ me!

Spyder Garage

I just put on the BRP 23" Ultra Touring windshield and I like it about the same as the stock windshield for roads that are up to 60 mph. But I like the Ultra Touring when commuting to work on the freeway at 75+ mph. I bought a half helmet for the slower travel but still use my full face helmet for the freeway. I'm 5'9" with no risers installed on the bars.
    Happy 2008 SM5 Owner - BRP Sport Rack/Backrest, 23" BRP Ultra Touring Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Default Short to mid to taller..

Short was find till I got behind an big truck, got a 2nd hand taller windshield from a fellow ryder and I love it! less "head bop" !
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH

Spyder Garage

Never had a windshield on any of my bikes but after trying a few other shields on the Spyder I really do like the CHAD.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI_ACZOgTdU"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a spring/summer windshield and a fall/winter shield.

All about how much wind hits you, how fast one typical rides, and whether one can find a shield that doesn't cause wind buffeting - bobble head is rough on the neck.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

As everyone has said, it's all personal preference. And that depends on many factors including what kind of riding you do, the weather (generally), your seating position and how tall you are.

With the stock bars and a full face helmet I was ok with the stock shield. When I put the NMN risers on I got too much direct wind on my faceshield and upper chest at 80+ to be good for long distance.

Now I have a modified Chad shield that suits me just right. Even at freeway + speeds the direct wind goes over or just touches the top of my helmet. I get a lesser wind on my helmet which gives me something to run through my helmet vents, which I like, and no wind on my chest.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...