Spyder Garage

Default Show Chrome/Big Bike Parts Backrest for 2020 RT

I just bought one of these because it was roughly half the price of the OEM backrest (Yes, I'm cheap) and although the install was pretty straightforward (only issue was 1 screw was too short) and I like the way it looks, I almost took and it off and returned it because it was horribly uncomfortable on my back. I played with it for 1/2 hour adjusting the position but soon realized that the problem wasn't with the height, size or position but with the stiff padding that they use inside. Luckily, they provide a full length zipper so I pulled the padding out and made my own padding from some thin foam that I had laying around and it made all the difference in the world.

Not sure why they chose that particular type of stiff foam but it is not like any foam I have seen for a seat or cushion.

So, if you buy one of these, you might consider removing the padding and stuffing it with something softer before you give up on it.

IMG_20201012_1936147.jpg

IMG_20201012_1937087.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good to know. I just ordered one as I NEED a backrest and while I'm a huge Utopia fan (and will end up with one of theirs), they're currently about 3 weeks out and $100 more. I can't stop riding for a month if I don't have a backrest.

What kind of foam did you use and did you just add a layer of better foam to the front or did you replace everything? (Not even sure how that backrest is put together.)

BTW, I have the exact same bike. Petrol Metallic base model.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Good to know. I just ordered one as I NEED a backrest and while I'm a huge Utopia fan (and will end up with one of theirs), they're currently about 3 weeks out and $100 more. I can't stop riding for a month if I don't have a backrest.

What kind of foam did you use and did you just add a layer of better foam to the front or did you replace everything? (Not even sure how that backrest is put together.)

BTW, I have the exact same bike. Petrol Metallic base model.
    I have a Utopia on my other bike and it is definitely a "cut above" this one in terms of quality and size but, as you say, it is more expensive and you have to wait.

I am no expert on foam but I used the really soft stuff that electronics are often shipped in - same as the stuff in a camera case. The foam in the Big Bikes Parts backrest seems to have a firm urethane feel to it - never seen it before to be honest. If you have an old seat cushion or chair, you could stuff some of that in there and it would prolly work. I should also say that I am not overweight at 190# and that may make a difference but according to the instructions, you are not supposed to put much of your weight into it.

There is one large foam piece that I removed. Interestingly, there is a thinner piece in the back that is not easily removable and it is made of the same foam that I wound up putting in to replace the bigger piece.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    ..and while I'm a huge Utopia fan (and will end up with one of theirs), they're currently about 3 weeks out and $100 more. I can't stop riding for a month if I don't have a backrest.
    Your post has given me an idea........Looking at the Utopia website, they use the same mounting method as Big Bike Parts so I am now curious if I can use my Utopia pad with the mounting hardware of the Big Bike Parts backrest. The Utopia backrest pad is much larger and it is curved - I might prefer it even after I have the smaller one now acceptable in terms of comfort.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    I just bought one of these because it was roughly half the price of the OEM backrest (Yes, I'm cheap) and although the install was pretty straightforward (only issue was 1 screw was too short) and I like the way it looks, I almost took and it off and returned it because it was horribly uncomfortable on my back. I played with it for 1/2 hour adjusting the position but soon realized that the problem wasn't with the height, size or position but with the stiff padding that they use inside. Luckily, they provide a full length zipper so I pulled the padding out and made my own padding from some thin foam that I had laying around and it made all the difference in the world.

Not sure why they chose that particular type of stiff foam but it is not like any foam I have seen for a seat or cushion.

So, if you buy one of these, you might consider removing the padding and stuffing it with something softer before you give up on it.

IMG_20201012_1936147.jpg

IMG_20201012_1937087.jpg
    Good post, I have that back rest, I'll be checking that out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Similar to what I did with air hawk - tried but it just didn't do it for me even with less air - I had an older office chair seat cushion that I took the cover off and used it's thick foam inside the air hawk cover - love it.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Similar to what I did with air hawk - tried but it just didn't do it for me even with less air - I had an older office chair seat cushion that I took the cover off and used it's thick foam inside the air hawk cover - love it.
    Yeah, I tried the airhawk on my motorcycle a few years ago and didn't like it for the same reasonn (couldn't get the air "right"). I wound up with a butt buffer (https://www.buttbuffer.com/) instead. It was great on my bike because it didn't raise the seat height but it was enough gel to ease the "burn"/"hot spots".

I have not had the Spyder on a long trip yet but so far the stock seat is OK. Most serious riders swear by the Russell Day Long but their seats were too high for my preference. Course, seat height isn't an issue for most of us on a Spyder (compared to a 2 wheel bike).

BTW, I really wanted to buy the F3 instead of the RT but the seat and seating position didn't work for me - I like to be able to shift my weight a little bit and I could not do that with the F3. To me, the RT was extremely comfortable right off the bat.

Spyder Garage

...Not sure why they chose that particular type of stiff foam but it is not like any foam I have seen for a seat or cushion...

You could easily test it since you have replaced the stiff foam, but it is possible they selected that particular material because is absorbs no water and, therefore, the backrest would absorb no water, particularly through the seams that we know are the weakest link in truly waterproof seats.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ended up breaking down and just ordered a Utopia. I'll use the Show Chrome backrest for the next 3-4 weeks as I just can't ride w/o one then sell it barely used once the Utopia comes in. I KNOW the Utopia is top notch.

I think Jay has a good point although I'd like to see what the OP finds after riding in the rain.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    but it is possible they selected that particular material because is absorbs no water and, therefore, the backrest would absorb no water, particularly through the seams that we know are the weakest link in truly waterproof seats.
    Good point but it does absorb water like a sponge. It was wrapped in some really thin plastic that fell apart as I was removing it.

Just for grins I checked my Utopia backrest and it is a blue color foam. The bike seat foam is a white color like what I have seen for boats and outdoor seat cushions.