Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default ECO mode & adjustable rear suspension

Can someone explain the eco mode. I have read the manual and there is just one short mention of where it is. Doesn't say how to turn it on or what it then does. I believe I have read here that to turn it on after you use the mode button to release the bike to start you just hold the mode button down. How do you get back out of the eco mode?

Adjustable rear suspension. In the manual it says the base model has a shrader (sp) valve but on the limited (my model) it is automatic. It says it is common to hear the pump. When riding with my wife or by myself I have never heard the pump. Does the bike have to be running or just turned on for it to work. Maybe I am just not hearing due to engine noise.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can turn the ECO mode on just as you said. Hold down the Mode/ECO button (I don't know what year/model you have so the button may be labeled either way) and it turns on. I believe it changes the shift points but I've never used it (and don't plan to). I suppose it would get you an extra couple mpg if you were already up to speed and were on a relatively flat road.

I have a 2018 RT Limited and have never heard the pump kick on. I know it works. The base model F3s and RTs don't have an auto leveling air suspension so they do have a Schrader valve so you can manually adjust the ride.

Spyder Garage

The only thing I can tell ECO mode does is show a recommended shift point. If it remaps the fuel flow or changes anything else I have not been able to tell. I also can't tell a difference in fuel mileage.

As far as the pump, some of us were blessed with a very quiet pump.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

A two second push on the Mode/ECO button turns the ECO mode on or off and the picture shows what the ECO mode does to the accelerator percentage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    A two second push on the Mode/ECO button turns the ECO mode on or off and the picture shows what the ECO mode does to the accelerator percentage.
    You would think that a 40% smaller throttle opening at 100% throttle control would be noticed easily. Guess it's time to drag out the stop watch and do some testing. Maybe I'm just getting too old to notice any more.

Spyder Garage

My 2020 RT Touring air bag does not have a air pump and according to my dealer
    is designed to leak down to "0" pounds over about a seven day week. Keep it
    adjusted is up to the driver. That said if I could figure out how to install an automatic
    air pump I would. I set my air bag at 38 lbs. yesterday morning and it was down to
    32 lbs. at 2:00 pm today. The bike does not like low pressure at all.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Okay, according to my manual (page 50) all RT limited are supposed to have auto leveling. Mine like yours is a 2020 RT limited. If it doesn't have one the dealer and I are having a conversation he won't like.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2020+ RT base models do NOT have the auto leveling feature although the parts to install it are only about $600 (plus labor if you aren't handy). The 2020+ RT Limiteds all have the auto leveling system although they ALSO have the Schrader valve like the manual suspension on the base models. (In case that's confusing to see the valve on a Limited.)

Someone really helpful here (and I can't remember who or I'd thank him again), has a 2020+ base model and added an air line extension to his Schrader valve. I'm not sure where the valve is (other than "under the seat") and I won't have a 2020+ RT until tomorrow (if the rain doesn't wash me away) but I bought an extension anyway. Seemed like a good idea and it's cheap.

Dray---No such thing as an RT "Touring" model. If it's a 2020+, there's only the base/standard model and the Limited (except for this year when they added the 1 year only Sea to Sky model).

Also, it's easy to pump up an airbag. It's not like having to pump up a tire. I've had plenty of bikes (2 wheels) with air/spring shocks. You WILL need a small, motorcycle specific (sort of) hand pump. DO NOT FILL THE AIR BAG WITH AN AIR COMPRESSOR! You have been forewarned. You'll pop the air bag. From 0-60# shouldn't take more than a dozen pumps and about 30 seconds. I only get the chance to ride on the weekends and having to check and pump up a suspension air bag would just be part of my pre flight checks (along with the tires and lights).

Spyder Garage

Turning on eco definitely changes the throttle position. I can feel the speed drop and watch the tach lower. Turn it back off, and it speeds back up. I can also hear a lot more air box noise. I have been wondering if it changes the automatic downshifts, but can’t tell.
    Longlegs rides again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longlegs View Post
    ...I have been wondering if it changes the automatic downshifts, but can’t tell.
    I don't believe it does, but you can tell by taking a short run both in and out of ECO mode and running the bike up into 6th gear, say to about 50 mph. Let off the throttle while watching the digital tach and I think it will show you that the automatic downshifts, regardless of gear, occur at about 1,900 rpm. That's what it does on mine.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    ... and the picture shows what the ECO mode does to the accelerator percentage.
    What was your source for this graph?

I had decided to try the ECO mode for our trip to Maggie Valley this year. After setting it at home, my wife noticed it part-way down and asked if I had done this intentionally or if it was something she had done accidentally. I assured her that I had done it and wanted to try it out for the trip (total will be over 1000 miles) to see if it made a difference.

We're not home yet, don't have the numbers punched into the spreadsheet, so ...

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I have a Green service manual for my '14 and it came from a section of it entitled "Rotax 1330 ACE Engine Dealer Presentation." IMO, the ECO mode is an unnecessary nuisance; however, one could make a pretty convincing case that it is beneficial to those who have never used a hand throttle controlled vehicle.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks.

I would think that if you are relying on the shift pointer to do your upshifts, it would just be one more distraction, looking down at the dash to see if it was there, looking back to the road, looking down at the dash, etc. Better to just shift by sound, which is what I asked my wife to do on this trip: "Just pretend it's not on and ride as usual".

I'll crunch the numbers when we get home.

HER ride:

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

In ECO mode the upshift arrow comes on at the minimum RPM the HCM will allow the shift. You will find on SL that many folks shift somewhere between three and four grand because it seems to shift very smoothly in that range.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's about where we do it. I'll have to test the bike when we get home to see if I can verify the pattern to when the arrow comes on. Is the recommended shift point affected by throttle position?

HER ride:

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Is the recommended shift point affected by throttle position?

It seems to raise the shift point the harder you are riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

During acceleration there will not be an
    indication to up shift – the ECM understands
    you are accelerating and will not recommend
    a shift at this time.

Spyder Garage

Some years ago I watched upshifting points to see what the RPM was when the ECM/HCM combination would allow an upshift. To 2nd it was around 2,100, maybe same for 3rd, about 2,200 for 4th, 2,250 to 5th and 2,350 to 6th. Consider the numbers approximate since I did it within the first year of ownership and I don't remember the exact specifics. Put it in ECO mode and see at what rpms the shift arrow comes on for each upshift.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    During acceleration there will not be an
    indication to up shift – the ECM understands
    you are accelerating and will not recommend
    a shift at this time.
    Makes me wonder if mine has got a weird glitch or something. Mine will recommend a shift point during acceleration and the point changes depending on how far the throttle is twisted. It does not seem to make any difference in fuel mileage. It does not seems to make any difference in acceleration, based on my butt dyno. The only thing noticeable is ECO lite up and a upshift arrow popping up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Makes me wonder if mine has got a weird glitch or something. Mine will recommend a shift point during acceleration and the point changes depending on how far the throttle is twisted. It does not seem to make any difference in fuel mileage. It does not seems to make any difference in acceleration, based on my butt dyno. The only thing noticeable is ECO lite up and a upshift arrow popping up.
    Only when the vehicle speed and
    acceleration has stabilized for a certain time
    and the ECM judges there is enough engine
    torque available in the next gear to keep the
    same speed and torque request will the up
    shift indicator come on.
    - 1st to 2nd speed: 1800 RPM
    - 2nd to 3rd speed: 1950 RPM
    - 3rd and higher: 2200 RPM

Spyder Garage

I personally don't like ECO mode and don't ever use it. I bought the Spyder to have fun on, not lug it around in the bottom of the rev range. The stage 1 ECU upgrade brings a smile to my face---- ECO NEVER does.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Doc, did you ever get your air ride figured out?? There was a few people that got there new bikes that didn't have the leveling arm hooked up! If your bikes the Limited you should be feeling some thing, it's got to be running and in gear! One the left side back where the swing arm go's back to the rear axle there should be a small heim joint hanging down and attached to the swing arm up to a control box. That controls the ride height and kicks the compressor in to gear! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Only when the vehicle speed and
    acceleration has stabilized for a certain time
    and the ECM judges there is enough engine
    torque available in the next gear to keep the
    same speed and torque request will the up
    shift indicator come on.
    - 1st to 2nd speed: 1800 RPM
    - 2nd to 3rd speed: 1950 RPM
    - 3rd and higher: 2200 RPM
    Thanks for the good numbers!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll crunch the numbers when we get home.
    OK, we're home.

On our last trip, we did about 1550 miles going around Lake Michigan. Some highway, mostly 2-lane, nothing overly "enthusiastic". Fuel average was 36.12 MPG.

This trip was 1100 miles going down to Maggie Valley. Again, some highway, mostly 2-lane. There were twisties, but all three wheels stayed on the ground, still nothing "enthusiastic". ECO mode was on, except for 15-20 miles when it was accidentally bumped off. Speed was maintained in the mountains. Fuel average was 36.90 MPG.

Does ECO make a difference?
    Evidently not enough to make that much of a difference. I showed these numbers to my wife. She asked if we were going to keep ECO on. I said I did not see any reason to, she replied "Good". She found the flashing arrow a bit annoying, and since there was no real benefit, ECO mode is hereby relegated to the "Unused features" bin.

HER ride:

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

OK, we're home.

On our last trip, we did about 1550 miles going around Lake Michigan. Some highway, mostly 2-lane, nothing overly "enthusiastic". Fuel average was 36.12 MPG.

This trip was 1100 miles going down to Maggie Valley. Again, some highway, mostly 2-lane. There were twisties, but all three wheels stayed on the ground, still nothing "enthusiastic". ECO mode was on, except for 15-20 miles when it was accidentally bumped off. Speed was maintained in the mountains. Fuel average was 36.90 MPG.

Does ECO make a difference?
    Evidently not enough to make that much of a difference. I showed these numbers to my wife. She asked if we were going to keep ECO on. I said I did not see any reason to, she replied "Good". She found the flashing arrow a bit annoying, and since there was no real benefit, ECO mode is hereby relegated to the "Unused features" bin.

I routinely get 39 to 41 MPG with NO ECO and a Stage 1 ECU upgrade that get used regularly.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow