Spyder Garage

Default Hopefully a simple question on 660 GPS

Sorry for my inability to understand the manual on this unit but............... We like to take rides and not know where to at the start.
    What do I have to do to have the 660 record our actual route from our ride? Just ignore it asking for address or location or ....? Just turn it on and go?
    Any help appreciated.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Not sure exactly what you mean?? do you want to record where you went?? I don't think the 660 will do that . BUT there is an app for that. Try " map my ride" maybe. Our 660LM seems to do what we want---- but we often have paper maps to plan trips.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Your device will not remember where you went unless you give it a destination point. When you turn on your Spyder the GPS boots up, acquires some satellites and shows you where you are on the map loaded in the device. Until you give it a destination it doesn't know where you are going so it can't compile any lat/long information about your travels that it can save; it can only show you where you are. You might consider calling Garmin Support at 800-800-1020 and asking them how to skin your cat. The technicians are very helpful and they have a call-back function so you don't have to wait on Hold for any length of time.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Not sure exactly what you mean?? do you want to record where you went?? I don't think the 660 will do that . BUT there is an app for that. Try " map my ride" maybe. Our 660LM seems to do what we want---- but we often have paper maps to plan trips.

Lew L
    Thanks for the input Lew. I guess my question is....if I just turn on the Garmin when I get on the Spyder, and I don't program in any particular destination, does it start recording details of the route we actually take on our ride or doesn't it record anything unless I "put something in" as a destination? In this case I "think" it records my actual route (with no further input required) until it is shut down, but I haven't actually been able yet to confirm it on Basecamp.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is this a Zumo 660? If so this is from Garmin: "And when you’ve returned home, you can review your rides in Google™ Earth."

I can pull up past routes/rides on my Nuvi 2539 using Basecamp.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I believe the tracking function has a couple of benefits. Mine does track where I drive even without a route planned as you mentioned. When you get home you can download those tracks to the PC/Mac and if you want plan a route from that track. For hand held units it is very useful for back tracking... (could be used for that if one gets lost also).

There have been a couple of times where someone would ask... where was that xxx on the ride today... You can look at the map in basecamp and see exactly where that was on the route you rode today.

On a side note... I have upgraded from the 660 to the 595LM... Wow, what a difference.

Anyway... Have fun.
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

There s a track back feature under “where to” (last page last item) pair of feet for icon, don’t know how long it records or if gas stops cause reset. Haven’t tried it much mine does leave a colorful trail on the screen whoever I go blue for current route black for older, purple is for the programmed destination. When first got it made a point to try coloring all the streets within view on the screen
    Also: contact Garmin maybe they have more info like what setting to enable.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

It tracks where you go and remembers until you clear it. As long as the unit is on. At least how I remember how it works. It's been a while since I had one.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I stand corrected in my post #3, at least regarding my 590. I rode home from a BaseCamp planned ride on roads I was totally familiar with following a lunch and then a gas stop after the planned route was complete. I connected my Zumo to my computer, opened BaseCamp and found the last active log of the day from my lunch stop to home, a black track on all the roads I used. BaseCamp would not however allow me to create a route from the log.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

On the Zumo 660, go to tools, My Data, Manage Trip logs, Current Trip Log. There you will see a series of date-time segments and a View all segments option. These can be made into routes if you choose. Basemap will also show these, but it can be done on the device alone too.
    Gary

US Army Vietnam era vet

2023 Can Am F3
    2020 Can Am Ryker 900 ACE (traded)
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT SE5 (traded)
    2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (sold)
    2012 Honda NC700X (sold)
    2012 Honda CBR250 (sold)

States visited on 2 or 3

2020 900 Ace , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Default To ALL - Thanks very much for the inputs on Garmin Zuma660LM use

I really appreciate all your inputs on this topic. I had been getting the logs after I rode - even if I didn't put in a destination, but in using Basecamp after that, I had issues with what I was doing and started to question what was really OK to do. SOME of "my sanity" concerns lately have been alleviated by all of your you.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Definitely a learning curve to them & then there’s updates to remind you “only think your learning”

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I stand corrected in my post #3, at least regarding my 590. I rode home from a BaseCamp planned ride on roads I was totally familiar with following a lunch and then a gas stop after the planned route was complete. I connected my Zumo to my computer, opened BaseCamp and found the last active log of the day from my lunch stop to home, a black track on all the roads I used. BaseCamp would not however allow me to create a route from the log.
    I am not sure, but did you try this... on the menu there is an option to create route from selected track... https://help.routeyou.com/en/topic/v...ute-conversion
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The more I see about problems with the Zumos, the more I like my Nuvi.

Just a basic Nuvi 1450. Not waterproof, but a zip-loc bag fits over it when necessary. Touch screen still works under the bag.

I have never even seen a Zumo 660, let alone played with one, but there should be an option to show/hide your tracks. On my Nuvi, it is Tools/Settings/Map/Trip Log - show/hide. The menu path on your Zumo is likely different.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

There is for sure a "learning curve" with these devices. I have a Garmin DriveSmart 65 and after a year and a half, am slowly getting it figured out. I use it when driving the Spyder about 75% of the time now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am the same way most of the time. I don’t have a set map or plan I have a 590 but it should work the same I believe. Go under apps>tracks> active> delete. Answer yes. Now hit the back button, back button and then click on map icon on the right side. Drive wherever you want. When you are done for the day or the next day you can go back to tracks the same way above and now save track AS route or trip. Give it a name. Now if you don’t want directions simply open the apps> trips or routes depends of which you have> click on the name and “show on map”. It will show where you currently are on the map and the route you want in blue. simply trace the trip. I do that all the time if I really like a specific route. The garmin will not talk. You can zoom in or out and it shows the trip in the color you set it in. I like blue since most of the roads are brown red and black.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I am the same way most of the time. I don’t have a set map or plan I have a 590 but it should work the same I believe. Go under apps>tracks> active> delete. Answer yes. Now hit the back button, back button and then click on map icon on the right side. Drive wherever you want. When you are done for the day or the next day you can go back to tracks the same way above and now save track AS route or trip. Give it a name. Now if you don’t want directions simply open the apps> trips or routes depends of which you have> click on the name and “show on map”. It will show where you currently are on the map and the route you want in blue. simply trace the trip. I do that all the time if I really like a specific route. The garmin will not talk. You can zoom in or out and it shows the trip in the color you set it in. I like blue since most of the roads are brown red and black.
    Got it ! Thanks. This is basically what I was doing before I got overly concerned I was doing something wrong . there was a short trip where I thought the unit was on, but after the trip nothing showed up. So I "naturally figured" the unit "might not work as I had thought it would . Being the "overthinker" I am (and some here can attest to that) , I read and reread the manual and visited youtube for an answer, all to no avail . Everyone here has provided me with the info I needed and I really thank you ALL
    Ride and STAY SAFE
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.