Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spin View Post
    I will consider the 205/65 as the 205/60 isn't available from my supplier on Long Island. The only thing that worries me is this tire 1.62" bigger than stock. You have no clearance issues?
    Spin .... others here are using the 205/65-15 Q-5 tire .... they've said so .... and it's only a hair different from the 205/60-15 ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I gotta ask does anyones stock Spyder go over a 118 MPH?
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    Not really - and Peter mentioned the speed rating as an indication that the higher rating means it's a better quality tire ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    As Mike mentioned, the higher rating is an indication that the tire is constructed juuust a little 'better', but there's also the concern about running a T rated tire out on the Freeways or highways where you may well be travelling at 70-80 mph for at least some of the time, and maybe even somewhat faster for short spurts as you try to overtake a semi as quickly as you can, or something similar... and doing so will mean that you are probably be going to be running that T rated tire well up towards it's maximum speed limit at least some of the time, even if you don't knowingly &/or willingly exceed 100 mph too often! . But it's definitely easy enough to crack the throttle wide open to get out of the 'dangerous blind spot' alongside a truck as you're passing, or maybe just to squirt past that car/truck/whatever that's been holding you up for miles and that speeds up enough to stop you passing every time you try to over take, only to slow down and block you again as soon as that overtaking opportunity is past?! I don't know about you, but for me & my pillion, I really like to know that there's still juust a bit of 'safety margin' between the maximum speed I'm ever likely to travel at and the maximum speed my tires are rated to work safely at, even if it is only ever rarely/in an emergency/for a short spurt...

And besides, I already KNOW that my Spyder will go somewhat faster than 118 mph, so if I ever do want/need to exceed that speed again, then I really don't want my tires to be the things that're likely to fail first because they've exceeded their maximum safe speed!! Of course, YMMV, but for me, I LIKE having a fairly fat safety margin on anything that critical!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well it was there yesterday, I had checked ..... because it's a higher rated tire it's listed in a different category .... Look under " Grand touring All season in the passenger tire section for General tires ... Mike
    Its only available in 205/65 H or V rated. The 215/60 is T rated

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Spyder Garage

If the tire is rated at 118 MPH it has been tested to maintain a speed of 118, not just a spurt to 118. I am not trying to be argumentative just realistic. If your vehicle will only do 100 and the tire is rated for 118 your good. Higher speed vehicles that shut down at a certain speed, shut down at the speed rating of the tire the manufacture recommended.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Its only available in 205/65 H or V rated. The 215/60 is T rated
    Spin, you made me curious .... soooooo I went back to T.R. and discovered they have a 225/60 - 15 H rated that according to listed specs is only slightly wider than the 205/65-15 H tire ..... remember the Kumho and the Kenda are already a 225 tire ..... Mike I did some more research and the 225 Kumho AST is .2 wider than the 225/60-15H Altimax ..... I sent this info to Peter, I want to know what He thinks .... stay tuned ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Spin, you made me curious .... soooooo I went back to T.R. and discovered they have a 225/60 - 15 H rated that according to listed specs is only slightly wider than the 205/65-15 H tire ..... remember the Kumho and the Kenda are already a 225 tire ..... Mike I did some more research and the 225 Kumho AST is .2 wider than the 225/60-15H Altimax ..... I sent this info to Peter, I want to know what He thinks .... stay tuned ......... Mike
    The 225/60 is even taller than the 205/65. I haven't heard of anyone using that size.

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Spyder Garage

The 225/60 is even taller than the 205/65. I haven't heard of anyone using that size.
    You have now! I did a bit over 30,000 miles on each of the two Kumho 225/60R15's I've run, one after the other.

And like I said earlier, you really can't go by just the nominal sidewall sizes off some generic table, you need to compare the actual physical dimensions of each brand/tire type - the Michelin 205/65R15 that I've recently replaced the last Kumho with is juuust a little larger in rolling dia than the Kumhos were, even tho I generally run my rear tires at something between 14 & 18 psi, so they might be a tiny touch smaller in operational rolling dia than the manufacturer expects.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I think I am going with the 215/60 Altimax, even though it appears to only come T rated in that size. I am open to other suggestions if anyone has a rear tire they really like, otherwise I will order it Monday.

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You have now! I did a bit over 30,000 miles on each of the two Kumho 225/60R15's I've run, one after the other.

And like I said earlier, you really can't go by just the nominal sidewall sizes off some generic table, you need to compare the actual physical dimensions of each brand/tire type - the Michelin 205/65R15 that I've recently replaced the last Kumho with is juuust a little larger in rolling dia than the Kumhos were, even tho I generally run my rear tires at something between 14 & 18 psi, so they might be a tiny touch smaller in operational rolling dia than the manufacturer expects.
    I just saw this after I posted!!! Back to the Drawing board!!! What do you think of the Michelins?

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Spyder Garage

Spin, have you ever tried the search engine at the top right hand corner of the page? This is a subject that has LONG been hashed out thousands of times with pretty much the same results! You could easily drink a whole POT of coffee and and loose yourself in there. Go with your gut feelings, trust me they will be better than what you have now!! Good Luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yup What Mikey said!!

There's no need to go back to the drawing board, except maybe to throw a dart at it to make a random choice - there's a bunch of suitable tire options that've already been mentioned here on this Forum; so it's really just a matter of you choosing which tire you think will best suit your driving needs/wants & the ambient conditions you usually ride in, and then go for it! And remember, whatever you choose, just about any auto tire that you select from those already mentioned that you could put on your Spyder (or Ryker) will be very likely to work better & last somewhat longer than the OE Spec Kendas!

Vredsteins are pretty highly recommended for North American conditions, and they come in either 205/65R15 or 215/60R15; the General Altimax's do as well, altho if you go that way you probably should try to get one of the better load/speed ratings; Toyo & Yokohama both do some pretty good 'sticky' tires that work well & generally last better than the Kendas; Kumho come in a couple of workable types & sizes that certainly work pretty well in our Aussie heat, droughts, & flooding rains, especially if you manage their pressures to suit the ambient temps as they harden with age (all tires do, Kumhos just a bit more than most! ) Then there's Michelin, in your choice of soft & sticky tread from the word go, but at the cost of slightly shorter tread life (but likely still better than the Kendas!) - or you could go for longer tread life from a harder compound Michelin tire that might take a little bit longer to warm up to achieve optimal traction, but they should handle the heat &/or hot roads better; or Bridgestones in a variety of compounds, sizes, and grip - altho their sticky tires generally cost a bit more than some; Continental - just about any of their Conti ranges, Contact, Touring, or Pro etc come in some sizes that work, pretty similar to Michelin really; or Coopers in a few different tread types/special use patterns; and even BFG's in 205/65R15 & possibly other sizes too - all of which have been used fairly successfully by some and in sizes that are pretty close in size to the OE spec Kenda 225/50R15's except that the majority of the sizes mentioned on the Forum as working on our Spyders are slightly taller (which is good for a more accurate speedo!) and some are slightly different in width.... remember, the difference between most 225, 205, or 215 tires is going to be fairly small, and the differences between 50 , 60, or 65 profile is probably going to be smaller - altho you might find a 205/50 that's bigger in rolling diameter than a 225/50, or a 205/65 that's just a tad bigger'n an OE Kenda 225/50! But if someone else has already run them, there's a good chance they'll still all fit!

So really, all you've gotta do is see what's available locally and pick a tire, any tire - or if you really WANT to go back tyo the Drawing board, you could pin all the names onto said drawing board, blindfold yourself, and throw a dart. There's a better'n good chance that whatever you get, it's STILL gonna be better than the OE Spec Kendas!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2020 at 07:12 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Spin, have you ever tried the search engine at the top right hand corner of the page? This is a subject that has LONG been hashed out thousands of times with pretty much the same results! You could easily drink a whole POT of coffee and and loose yourself in there. Go with your gut feelings, trust me they will be better than what you have now!! Good Luck!!!
    Thanks Mikey. I have searched and while some threads are recent, most are over a year old. I started this thread so I could find the latest info available, but you are correct, not much has changed!!

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your help Peter. It is much appreciated!! I have not been able to find the Vredesteins in 215/60 on TR or DT. Do you know where I could find them?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2020 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Spyder Garage

Sorry Spin, we can't get Vredesteins here in Oz any more; but maybe some of the nearer Spyder Ryders with Q5's could help?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your help Peter. It is much appreciated!! I have not been able to find the Vredesteins in 215/60 on TR or DT. Do you know where I could find them?
    https://www.vulcantire.com/quatrac5_s.htm

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Thanks for the reply troop but I don't see a 215/60-15 on there. I do see a 205/60 though and I might get that.

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Spyder Garage

According to Vredestein's website, they don't make a 215 wide tire...
    https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have discussed your tire questions with Peter .... I NEVER use Nominal tire measurements when I recommend a tire/s .... I also use " Revs per mile " measurements, the 205/60-15 gives 815 Rev's per mile .... the 225 is at 815 revs per mile ..... the difference is basically MINISCULE ..... From info from Peter the 225/60-15H is the better tire and will fit ( all tire mentioned were General Altimax RT 43 tires ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have discussed your tire questions with Peter .... I NEVER use Nominal tire measurements when I recommend a tire/s .... I also use " Revs per mile " measurements, the 205/60-15 gives 815 Rev's per mile .... the 225 is at 815 revs per mile ..... the difference is basically MINISCULE ..... From info from Peter the 225/60-15H is the better tire and will fit ( all tire mentioned were General Altimax RT 43 tires ..... Mike
    Thanks Mike. Looks like that is what I will order. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks everyone for your help!!

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Spyder Garage

Because the OP would like a tire close to 225/50 - 15, I would recommend the General Altimax RT43 with the H or V rating in 215/60-15. To the OP this size will correct the speedo / odometer reading. .... and a very good PSI for this tire is 18-19 ...... good luck .... Mike
    This right here.....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Of all the recommended tires the only tire I could get locally is the Altimax in a 215/60. Its a T rated because they told me its not available in an H or V. Thats OK because I usually stay below 118 anyway!!! I picked it up yesterday and I'm having it installed tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your help!!

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you getting it installed by the Spyder dealer, or by a tire shop?

Spyder Garage

I just saw this after I posted!!! Back to the Drawing board!!! What do you think of the Michelins?
    I would rather have a Michelin with 30,000 miles on it than some of these brands i have never seen in the real world....