Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Would the D.O.T number not be enough that is stamped on the tire as a legal designation? Or are you referring to For Special Motorcycle use only term?

I think that was just put on the tire to not mount it on a car wheel or use it on a car as some most likely would do.
    Maybe this will make it clearer .... D.O.T. has a list of Wheel designs ie. rim bead ( which includes the max weight )..... I have not found a Wheel that requires " for Special Motorcycle use only " in the D.O.T. regulations..... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    Lets start with this article written in 2012

https://ridermagazine.com/2016/05/20...n-motorcycles/

And look at your insurance policy last time mine was renewed there was a clause which states "must be maintained in a roadworthy condition". whats roadworthy? do you have a lot of $ to fight a legal action? I sure dont. If you don't know ask your ins. agent. And while govt is trying to take more of our hard earned money how much longer will it be before we go the way of europe? england has yearly motorcycle certifications and if you are darksiding it you have what is considered an unsafe modification you can't legally ride nor will your ins cover you
    I've spent some time in Court litigations regarding accidents .... for tires, if your vehicle REQUIRES they be rated at say 1500 lbs each and you have tires rated at say 1200 lbs. each that could certainly be an issue against You. .... but this is NOT the case with Kenda SPYDER tires ..... There are NO Auto tires with a weight rating LESS than the Kenda's ..... You also mentioned " darksiding " .... what it means is a person has mounted a " J " Auto tire on a Motorcycle wheel that requires a motorcycle tire, yes lots of folks do it, and most don't have a problem. ... But it's wrong and dangerous .... the Rim Beads are not the same and will break loose too easily ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I think they have the same program in Russia!
    I would like for someone to site for me a case where this actually happened.
    here in Europe you get an official paper from the producer of the tires, if they allow you to use them on the Spyder or Ryker .. with all the details ...(never saw this from Kenda )
    (it seems the Kenda "Kanine" is the Kenda "Kaiser" which is a normal Car-tire..with a new name on it)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've spent some time in Court litigations regarding accidents .... for tires, if your vehicle REQUIRES they be rated at say 1500 lbs each and you have tires rated at say 1200 lbs. each that could certainly be an issue against You. .... but this is NOT the case with Kenda SPYDER tires ..... There are NO Auto tires with a weight rating LESS than the Kenda's ..... You also mentioned " darksiding " .... what it means is a person has mounted a " J " Auto tire on a Motorcycle wheel that requires a motorcycle tire, yes lots of folks do it, and most don't have a problem. ... But it's wrong and dangerous .... the Rim Beads are not the same and will break loose too easily ..... Mike
    I concur Blue Knight.

Here in the state of NSW in Australia, "so long as the tyre is the same size per the tyre placard and is equal to, or exceeds, the OEM rating of the OEM tyre" - this was my insurer. Me thinks the dealership who say they aren't "BRP certified" speak with forked tongue, or a misguided one.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My thought, will Spyder dealers mount tires other than Kenda's on the Syder? I'm one of those 2020 RTL guys and will need tires some day, so just asking for a consensus. I certainly have no problem with the car tire, I ran my GW on the dark side for years. Some of us do not have the capability for tire changes, or removing the rear tire for a tire mount, so we must rely on the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    The reason why I brought this up - in Pa. the dealers will not inspect your bike without tires approved by the manufacturer. In Pa. we need or are supposed to have yearly inspections.

Thanks for the thoguhts.
    Jim
    Holy money-maker!

I just bought a used 2013 ST that still has original tires on it, but they have less than 6000 kms on them. I have not been out on a ride on them yet (just bought it this week and it's currently in the shop being certified), though I suspect they need replacing within the next year or so. Being in Canada, I have more reading to do to see what riders up here have experienced wrt to this. It certainly makes sense that one should be able to install a comparable J-rated tire on a J-rated rim, even if it's not marked as a motorcycle tire.

Happy to be here to enjoy this wealth of information (and opinions).
    2013 ST , Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    Legally there is nothing BRP can say or do. However you should be aware that if you are in an accident you could be held liable for not using the recommended tire or advertised replacement for that rim. And be found at fault for the accident even if it was obviously the other persons fault.
    Nope.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    My thought, will Spyder dealers mount tires other than Kenda's on the Syder? I'm one of those 2020 RTL guys and will need tires some day, so just asking for a consensus. I certainly have no problem with the car tire, I ran my GW on the dark side for years. Some of us do not have the capability for tire changes, or removing the rear tire for a tire mount, so we must rely on the dealer.
    Some will, some won't. The ones that will may ask you to sign a waiver absolving them of any responsibility should something go wrong. Some won't sell you the aftermarket tires but will mount them if you bring them (and possibly the wheels) yourself. You need to have a frank conversation with the service manager of your dealer.

Or, find a different shop, not necessarily a Spyder dealer.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

My salesman (who I see often) asked me if I wanted to see the 2020 RT They were un-crating. Of course, I did! It had Kanines on it. I only saw the one. But I can't believe it was the only one. I lamented to my salesman that I wished my Ryker had come with them. He said that it might happen on later models.

All OEM tires on Spyders/Rykers are radial design. So, that is not noteworthy. Are you sure it does not say 'Kanine' on the tire somewhere?
    100% sure, all three are Kenda Radial, I've checked.
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RTL
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (sold)
    2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 (sold)

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"
    2020 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TXGreatRide View Post
    100% sure, all three are Kenda Radial, I've checked.
    Yes, but Ron’s point was that both the stock Kenda, and the Kenda Kanine, are racial tyres, Tx, so that “Radial” label is moot It is interesting that your 2020 is fitted with the older Kenda and the one Ron saw was fitted with the newer Kenda Kanine. I wonder what drives that for each dealer? Are tyres normally sent in the crate from BRP with the Spyder to be assembled?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yes, but Ron’s point was that both the stock Kenda, and the Kenda Kanine, are racial tyres, Tx, so that “Radial” label is moot It is interesting that your 2020 is fitted with the older Kenda and the one Ron saw was fitted with the newer Kenda Kanine. I wonder what drives that for each dealer? Are tyres normally sent in the crate from BRP with the Spyder to be assembled?

Pete
    Both my 2019 Ryker and the 2020 RT I saw uncrated were pretty much assembled. Tires were mounted on the wheels. Neither the salesman or the person uncrating the RT realized that the tires were Kanines until I pointed it out.

It is interesting that they make such a big deal out of the word 'Radial' on these tires. I think it may have a lot to do with the average customer not understanding what it means. I guess it sounds cool. Even special! But, in this day and age, it is comparable to saying the tire is 'Round' or 'Black'. I do not know of any J-Bead Rim vehicle being delivered with anything other than a radial tire for the last few decades. I would guess it might be a DOT requirement to sell an on road vehicle in the US.

Looking at my Kanine, the word is pretty predominant. So, I'd say you can't miss it. Also, 'Radial' is in much smaller lettering. Not the same tire.

My part # is 042015002A1
    The current part # on the BRP web site is 705501464 (which has 'Radial' in large lettering).

So, I have no explanation for all of this. Very strange. Maybe some got Kanines and some didn't? Doesn't make sense unless BRP has an inventory of the older version they want to sell.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-22-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TXGreatRide View Post
    My brand new 2020 Spyder RTL equipped with Kenda Radial, not Kanine.
    Same here for my 2020 RTL.

Spyder Garage

I was at my dealer today. They had 3 RTL and 3 F3L. All had the old kenda tires.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Oh my god if we could combine our energy's towards BRP and all get together to stop this click that brp has with Kenda and be able to just go to the dealership and say I want this tire on my bike and have them say, YES SIR, instead of no, can do it!!!! Wouldn't it be grand to not run around like a bunch of school kids trying to get away with skipping class, and wondering when we are going to get caught and wondering what they will do to us!!! It would be nice if we could all just focus our energy's towards towards the problem and say, ENOUGH, that's it, listen or we are done buying your produce!! Tires and oil,
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    I was at my dealer today. They had 3 RTL and 3 F3L. All had the old kenda tires.
    This morning, I asked Daniel, my right hand guy who was also there during the uncrateing of the 2020 RT, about this. I was thinking maybe I hallucinated all of this! He brought up something that I'd forgotten. The 2020 RT we saw was a designated demo model. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? You wouldn't think so. I would think they'd just take a unit off the assembly line at random and designate it as a 'Demo'. But it was certainly one of the 1st 2020 RT's off the assembly line. The dealership still has it. I'm going to ask them about it next time I go in.

curiouser and curiouser!

Spyder Garage

This morning, I asked Daniel, my right hand guy who was also there during the uncrateing of the 2020 RT, about this. I was thinking maybe I hallucinated all of this! He brought up something that I'd forgotten. The 2020 RT we saw was a designated demo model. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? You wouldn't think so. I would think they'd just take a unit off the assembly line at random and designate it as a 'Demo'. But it was certainly one of the 1st 2020 RT's off the assembly line. The dealership still has it. I'm going to ask them about it next time I go in.

curiouser and curiouser!
    Maybe the dealer installed the Kanine's to give the demo spyder a better ride. More sales that way.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Maybe the dealer installed the Kanine's to give the demo spyder a better ride. More sales that way.
    No, we watched them open the sealed crate. The Kanines were already mounted to the wheels before they opened the crate. There is no doubt that this 2020 RT (blue) we saw came from BRP with Kanines mounted. There-in lies the the quandary.

Frankly, it would take a fairly knowledgeable customer to even notice (or care, really). I can't see it as being a deal breaker. I doubt that a dealership would see Kanines as being worth the effort.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-23-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just spoke with my dealer, who will, by the way, install any tire I bring him on my RTS without asking for a signed waiver. Anyway, he showed me an internal memo sent out by BRP to all dealers asking for their input on the Kanines. BRP have NOT recommended them yet, only because they have not completed testing them. He also told me that no 2020’s that they have received have the kanines on them.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Just spoke with my dealer, who will, by the way, install any tire I bring him on my RTS without asking for a signed waiver. Anyway, he showed me an internal memo sent out by BRP to all dealers asking for their input on the Kanines. BRP have NOT recommended them yet, only because they have not completed testing them. He also told me that no 2020’s that they have received have the kanines on them.
    Well! This might be a valuable piece of the puzzle. Sounds like some dealerships received Kanines on Demo models to get feedback on how they compared to the standard Kanda's. This would make a lot of sense and answer some questions (and also, maybe get me off the hook as I'm not looking too credible here!).

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well! This might be a valuable piece of the puzzle. Sounds like some dealerships received Kanines on Demo models to get feedback on how they compared to the standard Kanda's. This would make a lot of sense and answer some questions (and also, maybe get me off the hook as I'm not looking too credible here!).
    Ron, I don’t think that you need worry about that.....you’re always credible.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Interesting that Bajaron saw a demo with the Kanine tires on it from the factory. So it is very possible that demo unit is a test mule for the tires. I like it when gaps in info can be filled in some.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Hi All:
    I know the topic of tires can get ones hackles raised. Two dealers in the Pennsylvania area told me although Kanine tires are a Kenda product, BRP did not certify them yet. Is this true?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

This type of dealership mentality is aggravating. I had to take my 19 in recently for a look see and document a noise. The mechanic told me I needed to have the oil changed and a first service done as well because close to 3000 miles.
    I declined, but we chatted a bit about oil and filters, and warranty and blah, blah. The oil had already been changed by me, I run Motul. His immediate reply was that the oil wasn't certified by BRP, only their oil was, and if there was a future warranty claim, I would be out of luck.
    I'll take my chances, and if it gets to that point, I guess we can see who would win that fight.
    The OP may want to brush up on Magnusun Moss. On second thought, CanAm should.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    This type of dealership mentality is aggravating. I had to take my 19 in recently for a look see and document a noise. The mechanic told me I needed to have the oil changed and a first service done as well because close to 3000 miles.
    I declined, but we chatted a bit about oil and filters, and warranty and blah, blah. The oil had already been changed by me, I run Motul. His immediate reply was that the oil wasn't certified by BRP, only their oil was, and if there was a future warranty claim, I would be out of luck.
    I'll take my chances, and if it gets to that point, I guess we can see who would win that fight.
    The OP may want to brush up on Magnusun Moss. On second thought, CanAm should.
    Most dealers know better. They also know that most customers are uninformed, so they take advantage of that. It is very easy for us as consumers to know the facts. If we choose not to, then we will continue to be at the mercy of those who's only standard is the bottom line.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This reminds me of recent discussion about certified oil on the GM threads. Lol