Spyder Garage

Default Spyder vs Goldwing passenger seating

Are the passenger accommodations as roomy as the gold wings ?

Spyder Garage

I think the 2020 is better than my 2018 RTL is as so does the wife. Wife says were closer and she sits more upright vs my 2006 Gold wing.
    Will be getting a 2020 RTL next spring since the leg room is really needed for my knees and I like the updated features too, shell have room to play with her phone.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Hi Guys

The passenger seat of the GoldWing 1800 is a car bucket seat. its my wife who said that to me and i agree with it 100%.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

My wife does not like riding on the 2020 RT. We knock heads. She loves the Goldwing Trike and we have never bumped heads on that. It is more comfortable for her.

Spyder Garage

Funnily enough, the Child Bride would only ever put up with maybe as much as 1000 miles on the back our Goldwings before demanding at least a few days completely away from bike's & biking.... Then when we were on our first Spyer RT tour, as we pulled into our 'planned rest/bike break' spot, she said 'Nup, I'm loving this, let's not stop here for more than one night, I want to keep ryding!" So we did! And our first Spyder RT Tour ended up being a month long and covering almost 10,000 miles!! Something that would've taken AT LEAST 3 months on any of the Goldwings, what with the enforced 'get off & away from the bloody bike' breaks!!

I have since mentioned the possibility of getting an older 'Wing as a project bike, only to be told that if I do, I'll only ever be riding it solo, cos she's not going to ride with me on anything less comfortable for her than our Spyder RT?! So now I'm thinking maybe a CB1100 Project bike instead??

But as far as she's concerned, the Spyder is quids ahead of any Goldwing when it comes to pillion ride & comfort, especially for long-ish trips!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Roomy.....?? About the same. Comfort.....?? That's subjective. As the old saying goes, "There's a seat for every butt"..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks all the wife likes the size of my old gl1500. It originally had a Corbin and now a Russell. I was looking more at room as comfort is indeed subjective. She likes the physical dimensions of the wing so just didn't want something with a smaller pillion on it. Sounds like we just need to go look at them and straddle a few.
    Thanks again

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Transam87020 View Post
    Thanks all the wife likes the size of my old gl1500. It originally had a Corbin and now a Russell. I was looking more at room as comfort is indeed subjective. She likes the physical dimensions of the wing so just didn't want something with a smaller pillion on it. Sounds like we just need to go look at them and straddle a few.
    Thanks again
    Something else to consider between GW and a Spyder RT. Wind management for the passenger. I have ridden on the back of both a GW and a Spyder RT and the difference in buffeting is night and day difference. So happy wife, happy life.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Istayner, which one has better wind management?

Spyder Garage

Our machine is a 2011 RTS. After tinkering with footrest placement and adding armrests,wife has been known to nap whilst on the slab. Oh, she hated the Wing, probably because of my right wrist.
    David
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    Something else to consider between GW and a Spyder RT. Wind management for the passenger. I have ridden on the back of both a GW and a Spyder RT and the difference in buffeting is night and day difference. So happy wife, happy life.
    Clarify please, better on rt or goldwing ?

Spyder Garage

y wife sleeps back there whether we're riding the Arkansas Twisties or a Missouri Torrential Thunderstorm raining soo much I can't even see the road. I offered to buy her a RT but she said no because she can't sleep while driving it.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I have had 4 goldwings , 1000,2 1200 and the 1800.The wife is more comfy on the spyder and that is what counts .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

My wife complained immediately about how close she was to me on our first spyder but that doesnt stop her from enjoying the ride more than our wing. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

My brides comfort was one of the prime reasons to send the 2015 Spyder down the road. We are both far more comfy on the GL1800 wing. I did look at a 2020 RTL at the dealer the other day and it looks like they have made some improvements in a few areas but don't know that I would buy another. If they ever made provisions for a proper trailer hitch It would help my decision.

Spyder Garage

"I have ridden on the back of both a GW and a Spyder RT and the difference in buffeting is night and day"

Sorry- so which did you prefer? Much of my decision to purchase one of these 2 bikes in the next year or so will be contingent on how the wife feels back there for long trips. The wind was really my main worry.

Spyder Garage

I had a 2018 GW Tour Airbag TRiO that I sold for a 21 RT Limited (due to knee issues). The Goldwing was better made and had more plush passenger accommodations. I purchased a heated comfort seat and added passenger armrests and my wife says she is very comfortable. The GW passenger area looks bigger and more plush, but in actuality I don't think it is any roomier. The GW seat had a heated backrest but no heated passenger grips. My wife is comfortable on both (she is little, 5'5" 135).
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I had a 2008 Gold Wing trike on which I rode the stock backseat a couple of times.
    I have ridden the backseat a couple of times on my 21 RTL and I find it much roomier than the GW seat.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Went from 123537 miles on an '06 GoldWing to the '21 RTL with heated comfort seat. The wife still misses her throne on the GL, but I feel much more confident with the Spyder when pulling into the inevitable gravel parking lots that you encounter when touring. I don't think buffeting is an issue as we generally avoid the slabs and at 55 neither had that problem.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-16-2021 at 05:03 PM. Reason: thrown = throne ;-)
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Sonya finds the ride between our 2014 Spyder RT LE and the Goldwings - 1200/1500, very similar. Had the 1200 seat modified for us by Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston WA, makes a world of difference. The only difference in ride is when cornering, it's different. Replaced the OEM standard size Spyder seat with a heated comfort seat, she still has lots of room, and finds it very comfortable. Wind buffeting does not seem to be an issue.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest