Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canisterectomy

After reading this thread the question that comes to mind is. Why hasn't someone that had this gas smell start changed the Purge Valve? To me it sounds like it may not be opening or closing properly.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    After reading this thread the question that comes to mind is. Why hasn't someone that had this gas smell start changed the Purge Valve? To me it sounds like it may not be opening or closing properly.
    There have been many, many people with this issue, so I don't think there are that many bad purge valves out there. Once my dealer told me the purge valve was working like it should, I did the canisterectomy and routed the gas tank vent to the rear of the bike. No more issues after that.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Default I did

I changed the canister then a purge valve then another canister - under warranty and after BRP finally believed me that I don't fill the tank all the way. Did the same as the gent above, removed the whole mess. It still acts up some, nowhere near the problem it was before. It's still not fixed, but at least the vent doesn't empty right in front of the Catalytic converter any more!!

I still run my garage fan 24 hours to keep the ethanol stench to a minimum. BRP has been super good with a couple of other relatively minor problems, but totally unsatisfactory results and cure for the "smell/vapor/fuel dripping" from the pathetic fuel vent system.

Tuck

Anyone in the Charlotte, NC area would be willing to help me do this? I don't know what I'm doing and would really appreciate some help........

hey guys....
    if one decides to retain the cannister, does this look like the right way to about performing a BY-PASS if the CANNISTER....????

Why? It seems like more work to bypass the cannister, when you just remove it, it seems like less effort.

I just did mine and it definitely runs MUCH better. I suspect the charcoal was completely impregnated with fuel residue from multiple gas tank boiling incidents. (I just caught it for the first time this past week, but since it's an 08, it must have done it many different times and I just never caught it in the act.)

The best thing about the canister is the shape. It makes for a PERFECT door stop to keep the shop door propped open when the weather is nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my Ass is in the saddle: my head is in the clouds!

2010 RT A&C...............2014 RT-L...................2018 10th Year RT-L
    ............Gone; but not forgotten!!................... The Latest, and Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post
    After my ride today. I noticed.....

Nothing.
    No change in performance.
    No error codes.
    And best of all..........No smell.
    So I have only owned my Spyder since Feb, birthday present from my wife, -GRINS- and I have had this same smell. So after reading this and several other threads, I performed a Canisterectomy over the weekend. Took a ride yesterday as a trial for about an hour and no smell!! You guys are awesome with the information and advice. I have been riding since I was in my teens and this is the first 3 wheeler and I absolutely love it. My next addition is a set of Rivco floorboards and a brake pedal extension. Don't want to "farkle" it up too much but would like a little more comfort on the knees when riding distances. Thanks for all of the information on here and interaction. I have joined, at least on Facebook, the US Spyder Ryders - East Texas Chapter and am hoping to join in some of the rides as my schedule slacks up. Enjoy everone!

Quote Originally Posted by Stogeylink View Post
    So I have only owned my Spyder since Feb, birthday present from my wife, -GRINS- and I have had this same smell. So after reading this and several other threads, I performed a Canisterectomy over the weekend. Took a ride yesterday as a trial for about an hour and no smell!! You guys are awesome with the information and advice. I have been riding since I was in my teens and this is the first 3 wheeler and I absolutely love it. My next addition is a set of Rivco floorboards and a brake pedal extension. Don't want to "farkle" it up too much but would like a little more comfort on the knees when riding distances. Thanks for all of the information on here and interaction. I have joined, at least on Facebook, the US Spyder Ryders - East Texas Chapter and am hoping to join in some of the rides as my schedule slacks up. Enjoy everone!
    what year is yours