Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canisterectomy

Spyder Garage

After reading this thread the question that comes to mind is. Why hasn't someone that had this gas smell start changed the Purge Valve? To me it sounds like it may not be opening or closing properly.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    After reading this thread the question that comes to mind is. Why hasn't someone that had this gas smell start changed the Purge Valve? To me it sounds like it may not be opening or closing properly.
    There have been many, many people with this issue, so I don't think there are that many bad purge valves out there. Once my dealer told me the purge valve was working like it should, I did the canisterectomy and routed the gas tank vent to the rear of the bike. No more issues after that.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Default I did

I changed the canister then a purge valve then another canister - under warranty and after BRP finally believed me that I don't fill the tank all the way. Did the same as the gent above, removed the whole mess. It still acts up some, nowhere near the problem it was before. It's still not fixed, but at least the vent doesn't empty right in front of the Catalytic converter any more!!

I still run my garage fan 24 hours to keep the ethanol stench to a minimum. BRP has been super good with a couple of other relatively minor problems, but totally unsatisfactory results and cure for the "smell/vapor/fuel dripping" from the pathetic fuel vent system.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Anyone in the Charlotte, NC area would be willing to help me do this? I don't know what I'm doing and would really appreciate some help........

Spyder Garage

hey guys....
    if one decides to retain the cannister, does this look like the right way to about performing a BY-PASS if the CANNISTER....????

Spyder Garage

Why? It seems like more work to bypass the cannister, when you just remove it, it seems like less effort.

I just did mine and it definitely runs MUCH better. I suspect the charcoal was completely impregnated with fuel residue from multiple gas tank boiling incidents. (I just caught it for the first time this past week, but since it's an 08, it must have done it many different times and I just never caught it in the act.)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The best thing about the canister is the shape. It makes for a PERFECT door stop to keep the shop door propped open when the weather is nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post
    After my ride today. I noticed.....

Nothing.
    No change in performance.
    No error codes.
    And best of all..........No smell.
    So I have only owned my Spyder since Feb, birthday present from my wife, -GRINS- and I have had this same smell. So after reading this and several other threads, I performed a Canisterectomy over the weekend. Took a ride yesterday as a trial for about an hour and no smell!! You guys are awesome with the information and advice. I have been riding since I was in my teens and this is the first 3 wheeler and I absolutely love it. My next addition is a set of Rivco floorboards and a brake pedal extension. Don't want to "farkle" it up too much but would like a little more comfort on the knees when riding distances. Thanks for all of the information on here and interaction. I have joined, at least on Facebook, the US Spyder Ryders - East Texas Chapter and am hoping to join in some of the rides as my schedule slacks up. Enjoy everone!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stogeylink View Post
    So I have only owned my Spyder since Feb, birthday present from my wife, -GRINS- and I have had this same smell. So after reading this and several other threads, I performed a Canisterectomy over the weekend. Took a ride yesterday as a trial for about an hour and no smell!! You guys are awesome with the information and advice. I have been riding since I was in my teens and this is the first 3 wheeler and I absolutely love it. My next addition is a set of Rivco floorboards and a brake pedal extension. Don't want to "farkle" it up too much but would like a little more comfort on the knees when riding distances. Thanks for all of the information on here and interaction. I have joined, at least on Facebook, the US Spyder Ryders - East Texas Chapter and am hoping to join in some of the rides as my schedule slacks up. Enjoy everone!
    what year is yours

Spyder Garage

I presume the the canister is filled with carbon but could you drill, tap and fit a drain screw to the canister and drain off any extra fuel and refit the screw after?

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    One time I over filled my RX300 and it started to drip gas under the car. I thought the tank was rusted thru but it turned out that the evap can was full because I over filled the tank. I spend a $100 bucks for them to tell me that I need to spend $700 more for them to replace my evap can (because I could fail emission and once the can is filled with gas its no longer useful). I just laughed at them and walked out of there.
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default drain plug ? ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubliner View Post
    I presume the the canister is filled with carbon but could you drill, tap and fit a drain screw to the canister and drain off any extra fuel and refit the screw after?
    You could do that however imho it won't work ...... the charcoal in that canister is very absorbent, once it gets soaked with gas it would take a long time for it evaporate ( but it will given time and no more contamination ).... if it is getting contaminated continuously , it will never evaporate !!!! .......... Preventing it from occurring is the only way to go - other than removing it ..... Go to my Albums and look at the " Gas Smell Fix " adding a piece of hose and routing the OEM hose will solve this problem ..... There are good reasons for leaving the canister in place ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-16-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Spyder Garage

While I would not do this, I know a guy that made a new canister out of large diameter PVC pipe and fittings.
    He can unscrew it and replace the charcoal. He uses charcoal pellets from a fish tank store using if filtration.
    Seems like more of a pain that it is worth rather than just doing a canisterectomy but he says it works for him.

Sorry no pics or anything.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Pilo,
    There was a gas cap recall in 2010 for caps that would not seal properly. My dealer here in the USA had mine replaced at no cost. I ride an 08 Spyder. Here is a link
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2010/C...PYDER%252520RT

Good luck and happy rides!
    2008 Can Am Spyder GS
    Baja Ron's sway bar & links, Admore Lighting LEDV35-S-TS kit (for GIVI side cases), tall wind screen, Spyderpops foam grip covers, Air Management system mod, fender groove LED lighting, fender tip LED replacement, Seal floorboard conversion, SENA SMH-10, Spyder Sisters Spyder Pockets & sun shade, 12v plug + dual USB dash power, Custom Dynamics dual color LED daytime front runners/amber blinkers, Battery Tender JR. Pigtails, WrapMySpyder carbon fiber dash kit,
    2008 GS , Standard Seal Floorboard extension with Spyder logo cut out and teflon spacers to raise it. Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

i am a retired auto/diesel mechanic, my question as for removing the Canister, unhook the fuel tank vent hose from the Canister, run through a fuel filter and another piece of fuel line through under the seat and out the rear for fuel fumes... But as for plugging off the line from the Canister through the Purge Valve, wouldn't that cause the Eng. to run Rich? .... because there would be No Air going through to the Eng. Intake... any advice??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2023 at 06:27 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

It keeps you from having a vacuum leak when that valve opens and there's nothing there to pull from. It does work well, I just did it to mine last year. One thing to remember is to make sure you route your hose higher than the filler neck as soon as possible, then dump it down and out. what your making is a high point vent in all aspects of the words!!
    Last edited by Mikey; 05-13-2023 at 05:35 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    i am a retired auto/diesel mechanic, my question as for removing the Canister, unhook the fuel tank vent hose from the Canister, run through a fuel filter and another piece of fuel line through under the seat and out the rear for fuel fumes... But as for plugging off the line from the Canister through the Purge Valve, wouldn't that cause the Eng. to run Rich? .... because there would be No Air going through to the Eng. Intake... any advice??
    In theory, yes, blocking off the purge will richen things up. But remember there is the O2 sensor monitoring as well to lean it back out.