Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hydration on long rides

I have a cup holder on the bars of my 2016 F3-t, but it’s a pain to drink while driving. The Camelback systems look good to use, but really don’t want to wear a backpack.
    Has anyone mounted one as a tank bag?
    How do you keep hydrated on long rides?
    Bob
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I'm quite prejudiced on the topic because I've worn a Camelbak for almost 40 years as a long distance bicyclist. Do you have a driver's backrest? Do you ride two up? There are hydration packs that can be worn at the waist. IMO, there is no better way to stay hydrated and there are scientific studies that show it. You don't need to try one that carries five gallons; try a smaller size in a waist pack.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

A small hydration pack in the tank bag (used to go under the dog) & a larger one on the Rivco expandable trunk rack behind the pillion seat.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...lamonster-ips/ Wife loves it on her 16 F3T---especially as her med condition requires staying hydrated.

Spares on ice in the frunk.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Used a Camelbak for years for iron butt rides. Hydration is critical and a water bottle in the trunk does no good. If it's close and easy you'll use it. In hot weather I put ice in it and it helps keep you cool with it on your back.

Spyder Garage

I've thought about using a Camelbak, but I can't get the mouthpiece under my full-coverage helmet. The chin piece doesn't have enough room to allow use. If you have a 3/4 helmet, there's obviously no problem. So what's the fix?

Spyder Garage

MNF3...……………..try a insulated alum small dia tall container. bought mine at Walmart. it has flip top spout, that works by thumb, internal straw that goes to bottom, so you don't have to tilt head. I think it might be a for bicycles
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I've thought about using a Camelbak, but I can't get the mouthpiece under my full-coverage helmet. The chin piece doesn't have enough room to allow use. If you have a 3/4 helmet, there's obviously no problem. So what's the fix?
    My camelback tube comes into the helmet (Shoei GT-Air, so think 'close fitting' ) just below my left ear & behind/under the angle of my jaw before it then runs in the angle between the fabric chin cover & the helmet chin-bar along my jaw-line to put the 'bite-mouthpiece' immediately in front of my mouth. It's a bit tight in there immediately in front of my mouth, but I'm not aware of it anywhere else (& I usually have a fairly full beard too!) & it doesn't interfere with my speaking clarity plus it makes it easy to grab the mouthpiece with my teeth & take a drink whenever I need/want to.

Often, all it takes is a little bit of lateral thought - everyone usually has that hollow below their ear, and very few helmets block that completely with anything more than some soft cushioning fabric covered foam..... then unless the chin bar of the full-face helmet is REALLY close to your face, the angle between the chin-bar & the bottom fabric chin cover forms an ideal hollow for 'drinking tube' to run along, so for most, the only issue will be to choose where to put the mouthpiece so they can access it.... that is, if they just don't keep it between their teeth/in the side of their mouth all the time, which I often find myself doing when I'm ryding solo/on the track &/or concentrating strongly on the ryding!

Anyhow, some food for thought - that's what I do, & it works for me & many I've suggested/shown it to.... Over to you! Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-06-2020 at 08:38 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Might you have room to use a straight bite valve, raise your face shield and stuff the tube in to get a drink? I wear a Shoei Neotec and sunglasses and I raise the chin piece to take a drink.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies! Ice in the backpack would make it much more tolerable to wear.
    I see a lot of knock-offs, are any of the cheaper ones worth it?

Spyder Garage

I forgot my camelbak and bought a cheapo. Leaked and was useless in one trip. My 100 ounce camelbak is 10 years old, and works perfectly!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Several various ways to try, ice in camelback (or others) has helped keep me cool too
    Started using when mowing yards, cup holders on my bikes have been disappointing having few bottles blow out & have to go fetch, rather than litter Prefer the in frunk holder & yeti currently. IMG_0801.jpg Combine my hydration with lil stretch walking around wherever. May take longer getting there but I’m out to enjoy not endure. with camelbacks or similar various ways to snake the mouthpiece & keep accessible like looping into button hole or a zipper pull. Cortech Sequoia jacket comes with a hydration bladder pack & appropriately fitted to incorporate with the jackets various functions
    Last edited by Bfromla; 06-06-2020 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Pic

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a dry bag strapped to the passenger seat and I strap the Camelbak to it. When I wore it, it would get bound on my backrest and that was uncomfortable
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Regarding bicycles, I have been using various models of Camelbacks for years.

My wife and her sister are also off road cyclists. Her sister is a fashion diva, often believing reviews as gospel. For whatever reason, when my wife decided to get me a new Camelback as a gift, she bought an Osprey brand instead. Overall, the Osprey is not bad. The huge disappointment with the Osprey was the bite valve. Ultimately converted the Osprey to a Camelback bite valve.

On the Spyder though, I installed a Butler cup holder designed for insulated metal cups. Butler includes a special lid and straw setup. Overall using it while riding is not bad and it stays cold a long time. We too ride with full coverage Shoei GT Air helmets. Between the backrest and a passenger, there is no space for a Camelback.

If you were creative, I am sure a small insulated reservoir could be placed in the trunk or side bag, then use a low pressure pump and control valve to get water without sucking it from the reservoir.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNF3 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Ice in the backpack would make it much more tolerable to wear.
    I see a lot of knock-offs, are any of the cheaper ones worth it?
    In a word, NO. Once on a bicycle trip I forgot my Camelbak and bought a cheapo and, like
    Joe's it leaked and the bite valve was terrible.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Pursuant to this discussion I just bought this on Amazon I thought I could attach it some where with the hooks, I have a cup holder now from Diamond R and it works very well except for one thing, the insulated cup is too small, only 20 oz and I can go thru that in a heart beat.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Problem solved:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    Problem solved:
    Unbranded?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

We use camelbacks - mine on my back, w's on the trunk rack. Stop for gas, fill em up with water/icd, ride till empty. Works well for us for miles and miles. Even to Northern Canada. Even in triple digit temps.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Camelpak again here but my Klim jacket has a special pocket built in for it in the back so don't need to use the backpack part if I don't want to. Also because the jacket has back vents it and the camelpak is on the other side of the armour it stays cool.

I tend to have water mixed with a sports drink in this as the flavour hides any plastic taste and of course the electrolytes in the sports drink help with hydration when I'm riding for a long time (I do iron butt rallies).

I also have a bicycle water bottle holder attached to the front of one of my paniers. Though I use this water bottle as much to squirt onto my visor to help clean bugs off as to drink from.

Spyder Garage

I’ll check out the jacket, thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I must be doing something seriously wrong.

I have never felt the need to take a sip every few minutes. Like Bfromla (post #12), I combine my hydration with a stretch stop, which usually also includes fueling the cycle and its rider.

Just out of curiosity, I have a question for all of you that have these elaborate systems on your cycles. When you are NOT riding, do you always have a water source within reach so you can take a sip?

Spyder Garage

I've become addicted to cold water---- and yes I do keep a 20 oz Yeti on hand------ well type 2 diabetes with it's associated meds contribute to this. But I don't drink much of any thing else either.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

When we went to Grove OK rally last year, Linda decided she had to have cup holders mounted on her RT. She got one from Diamond R. I liked it so well, I had one installed on mine also.

Fast forward, when I traded the 2011 off for a new 2019 F3, the cup holder moved from bike to bike. We enjoy our cup holders. We do about 1/2 ice cubes and the rest ice water. Stays cool for mostly three hours. We usually pull over for a sip or two every 25 miles or so. It makes for a good stretch and just breaks up the ride a bit.

On a longer trip, it would be every 50 to 75 miles or so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It is easy to get dehydrated and not realize it. The old rule of thumb is if you don’t have to pee at least every 30 minutes you are not drinking enough, at least when working.