Spyder Garage

Default Plastic knockout cover at steering base: what is it?

Greetings from Ontario and a first time poster here.
    Long time motorcycle rider (dirt bikes, CBR's, Ninja's, VFR1200) and as of last fall a new to me 2013 RT-S.
    Just wondering what this is for as I just picked up a Garmin Zumo 395LM and I'm looking to hard wire it so any tips or how-to's on that would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Spyder Garage

Michael,

They are referring to the center of the handlebars where a plastic plug is inserted for cosmetic purposes. If you use the OEM harness and mount the wiring goes through this hole and into the depths of the bike. The install kit includes a replacement "plug" with a notch for the cable harness after the install is complete. I have a PDF copy of the install for the Garmin Zumo 660 for the RT. I am sure the install is similar. At least it shows where the harness connects to the various parts of the bike if you are going to use all of the available functions.

If you PM me with an email address, I will be happy to send you the electronic PDF of the installation procedures with the parts needed/used (including the plastic "knockout cover) if it will help.

Enjoy.
    2011 RT-S , Silver