Spyder Garage

Default Been Gone A While-What's New?

It's been a couple of years since I knocked on the door of this website. I was puttering down the highway on my '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000 and passed a newer looking Spyder RT. This got my interest flowing on them again and I was just wondering how the new Spyder RT's are doing? I want to say about 2 years ago I was seriously interested in buying an RT but the dealer I was trying to work with just wouldn't give me enough trade in value on my BMW K1600 GTL so I dropped out of that hunt and ended up buying and restoring my KZ-1000A1. If you have never restored an old bike it's a learning experience for sure. So what is the general consensus on the new Can Am Spyder RT's? Do owners like them? Any problems that need to be addressed before purchase? Has there been any upgrades from the 2017/18 models? Thanks for any responses....

Rick H.

Spyder Garage

Agree on the learning experience associated with restoring or even rebuilding old motorcycles.

A few years ago, I resto mod rebuilt my 1973 OSSA MAR trials bike. Absolutely a learning lesson. Now fun and cool that it is finished.

I currently have two irons in the fire that I am working on. Long term project has been my 1981 KTM 495mc. Finding parts has been difficult, but they do show up occasionally. Pretty certain, I have the difficult items now, so I tinker with it a bit more.

My main focus though is my 1971 Rickman Yamaha RT2. That has been a learning curve that was steep. Getting it back together though after many, many hours of work on it. Still a bunch to go though.

Spyder Garage

The 2020 RT's are totally redesigned from the past models. Most like them (including myself), but some don't. Best advice is to road test both and than decide.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Hello Rick H and welcome back. The new RT's were getting some heavy press on SL. Most of the reviews were well received. A LOT of members have jumped on them and most are singing the praises.

I started a new 2020 RT tally thread. So far, 34 people have purchased the new 2020 RT, as reported on the tally.

A couple glitches with the new revision. Some fitness issues on rear panels, and an issue with some brake pedals. BRP has mostly stepped up and is working on them. The Corona virus has not been helpful to new owners, dealers, or the manufacturer. People are currently making due with the situation they are being handed. In spite of that, we still hear of weekly purchases.

RE: KZ 1000. Now that is a nice bike. I bought a new 650 in 78. I was working my way up in cc's in those days. Was actually afraid of that 1000 because it was a real screamer IMO. Those were classic bikes IMO.

Enjoy the reunion.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-08-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Agree on the learning experience associated with restoring or even rebuilding old motorcycles.

A few years ago, I resto mod rebuilt my 1973 OSSA MAR trials bike. Absolutely a learning lesson. Now fun and cool that it is finished.

I currently have two irons in the fire that I am working on. Long term project has been my 1981 KTM 495mc. Finding parts has been difficult, but they do show up occasionally. Pretty certain, I have the difficult items now, so I tinker with it a bit more.

My main focus though is my 1971 Rickman Yamaha RT2. That has been a learning curve that was steep. Getting it back together though after many, many hours of work on it. Still a bunch to go though.
    I almost a OSSA Trials bike in 1973, bought a Yahama 250 Enduro instead.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

RE: KZ 1000. Now that is a nice bike. I bought a new 650 in 78. I was working my way up in cc's in those days. Was actually afraid of that 1000 because it was a real screamer IMO. Those were classic bikes IMO. .....

Me to, I had a 650 kawie also. The 1000 was more $$$$ at the time than i could afford. Look at me now, I've got a spyder. How'd that happen?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2020 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 RT-L, bought in 2018. I like everything about it.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

I have a GL1800 and due to a accident, I have to stay off of 2 wheels for a year!

My wife said she wanted to ride, so the Doctor said that would be fine

We picked up a 2019 RTL in the crate - discount because it is last years model.

Now having 500 miles in a month (in the midwest)

We LOVE it, it is a go-cart / snow mobile

Spyder Garage

Had a Montesa Cota 247 Trials and a Suzuki RL 250 Trials. Great rides. Went to a Spyder from a Royal Star Venture and a Goldwing Trike. Love my 2012 RTL.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Hi Rick. My husband has a 2016 RT Limited and we went to our dealership to pick up my F3L that was there for service. So, of course, my husband had to hop on the 2020 RTL "just to see how it feels." His first remark was, "I love the way this sits!" When I asked him what was different he said the floorboards. He liked the way he could stretch out because the floorboards are longer and he can move his legs to different positions as well as extend his legs without even having highway pegs. You might appreciate this with your experience on 2 wheels. Hope this helps.
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799