Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question How best to tie down an RTL in a toyhauler RV?

Hi All,

I am hoping someone has a remedy for my predicament. I have an 18 RTL. I carry it in the back of my 44' toy-hauler. I have tried various methods of securing it for travel on the Americas bumpy road system. I even went so far as spending $10k for better suspension on the toy-hauler. It helped but the Spyder would still move around.
    I recently used 9 ratchet straps with soft loops to try and keep it from bouncing around. The result was the bike stayed in one place but the steering shaft below the handle bars bent. Now I am faced with total plastic disassembly to replace the upper steering shaft.

I suspect the main issue is there is no way to tie down the Spyders suspension. I use 3 straps on the rear wheel. 3 straps on each front wheel. 1 strap on each floor board, and 1 to each handle bar side.

Does anyone out there have any ideas or experience hauling Spyders in an RV?

Please, help me!

Richard Wold
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: This is a "How do I?" question not a "How to do:" DYI description
    2018 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

I have a 42 ft Grand Design Momentum that we haul 2 Spyders in. We drive one in forward to one side and back the other one in to the other side. I have only tied down one front wheel and the rear wheel on each as it is difficult to get the wheel next to the wall. I found that if you wrap the ratchet strap around the wheel and tire and then tighten they do not move. I had an issue with them moving side to side and this stops that. I also found out that my ratchet strap tend to loosen over time. I am purchasing new heavier duty straps to correct this. The Spyders weigh around 1000 pounds and when they start bouncing the force is much greater than that. I am purchasing straps rated over 5000 pounds to reduce them from loosening up. I think average 2000 straps do not have a strong enough ratchet to hold the weight.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RichardOWold View Post
    Hi All,

I am hoping someone has a remedy for my predicament. I have an 18 RTL. I carry it in the back of my 44' toy-hauler. I have tried various methods of securing it for travel on the Americas bumpy road system. I even went so far as spending $10k for better suspension on the toy-hauler. It helped but the Spyder would still move around.
    I recently used 9 ratchet straps with soft loops to try and keep it from bouncing around. The result was the bike stayed in one place but the steering shaft below the handle bars bent. Now I am faced with total plastic disassembly to replace the upper steering shaft.

I suspect the main issue is there is no way to tie down the Spyders suspension. I use 3 straps on the rear wheel. 3 straps on each front wheel. 1 strap on each floor board, and 1 to each handle bar side.

Please, help me!

Richard Wold
    Hi, I discovered this method years ago ..... it's what professional auto haulers ( like for Mechum auto auctions for very high priced cars use ) .... use heavy duty Ratchet straps over the tires ( in-line with tread ) .... I only use one over the rear tire but you can use two or three.... one does the job though ..... you do need to bolt foldable rings on the floor - in front of the tire and at rear then tighten snug ..... I also put wood rails down ( screwed into floor, alongside both front tires .... this will prevent any side movement if you only use a strap on the rear tire .... I have pics of my set-up for my Truck in one of my Albums ...... others have posted this set-up here ..... do an advanced search ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I tie mine down in a 7 x 14 foot trailer with one tie down thru an eye bolt on the bottom of each front shock and 1 tie down thru the rear wheel. It hasn't moved yet. I hauled it from Provo Ut to Yuma Az. on some pretty bumpy secondary roads and it didn't move. Same from Provo to San Diego. Tho that was all freeway. A picture of how you tie it down might help us to give you suggestions.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The over the tire with a strap is the best method to hold your Spyder in place and not cause any damage. Look at this thread for some photos and ways to set up also do a search on the subject. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...+trailer+strap
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

You asked for the best way to tie your spyder down...Here it is, at least I think so anyhow.
    Not the cheapest ....but rarely can you use the words Best and cheap in the same sentence.
    Try this place they'll have something that will work for you....
    www.macscustomtiedowns.com/

P.W.
    2019 Phoenix Orange RTL
    LED head lights, LED fog lights, Lidlocks, Brake light kit, Sway Bar, J&S Jack, Cat Delete, Akrapovic silencer, Idler pulley Kit, Gold Drain Plugs, Magic Mirrors, Bumpskid, Tires, Centermatic balancers, Wick-it Stage 1 tune, Convex mirrors, EBC Brake Pads, EBC brake Rotors, Speed Bleeders, M-2 Custom Shocks, Odyssey Battery, Tinted Windshield, Windshield Arm, Gps Ultimate Seat, Dual air Horns, Modesta BC05 Ceramic Coating, Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil, BRP Passenger arm rest, BRP hitch, Syderpop rock guard 2015 Freedom Trailer

Spyder Garage

Hi All,

Please, help me!

Richard Wold
    Hi Richard, the bit I underlined is WORST POSSIBLE THING you could do!!

The Spyder's suspension will look after the Spyder, after all, it's designed to do EXACTLY that, only with a load on board! (You! & maybe a Pillion! Plus some gear too!!)

Basically, you really don't need to worry about tie-ing down the Spyder's suspension, you only need to worry about tie-ing down it's wheels!! Lock the wheels in place using the 'Ratchet strap cinched down over the tire in line with the tread/circumference' method BlueKnight911 suggests, which IS the preferred method used by the majority of professional auto haulers for road, rail, & air transport all over the World, and once you've locked the tires in place, nothing else is going to move anywhere! Just DO NOT tie down the foot boards or handle bars or anything else that's being carried by the Spyder's suspension!! That's just asking for trouble, and significantly increases the chance of damaging &/or breaking something off!! Lock the WHEELS in place, and leave the Spyder's suspension to look after itself, just like you do when ryding it!

And to do this properly, you don't even need to massively tension the ratchet straps; just tighten them up on the tires & the slight increase in air pressure inside the tire this produces locks them down solidly! As BK mentioned, for most conditions, simply securing one end with a ratchet strap cinched tight on the wheel/s should be enough, but if you are REEEAAALLY worried about your Spyder moving, there's nothing to stop you from cinching down both front tires & the rear - it ain't gonna move ANYWHERE then!! Adding those 'Guide Rails' he mentions outside the wheels is generally considered over-kill for actually securing the vehicle in place, but it sure helps you to line things up perfectly while your getting it all in place, so that the ratchet strap goes over the tire tread in the middle, and they can also remove ANY possibility of the Spyder twisting from side to side & damaging steering arms etc.... altho a Heavy Duty Ratchet Strap cinched tight over the tread with a 'D-ring' immediately in front & behind the wheel is probably going to do that anyway!!

You can get kits to do exactly this - they generally have a fixed connection point up front & a track with a moveable pin behind, then a couple of feet of track that's secured to the trailer deck with the ratchet part of the arrangement connected to the far end. This means you simply roll the wheel along the track until it hits the front 'D-ring', slip the strap over the wheel & under the fender, secure it at the front, fit the pin into the closest position behind that you can, then hook the ratchet onto the far end of the track & cinch it all tight so that the strap sorta makes the shape of a capital 'P' lying on it's back with the wheel filling the bulbous gap of the 'P'.... Does all that make sense??

Whatever you do, just DON'T try to tie down the Spyder's suspension.... not unless you want to break things!! The only way that is ever likely to be truly successful is if you COMPLETELY compress ALL the travel in the Shocks and Springs, or replace them with 'cut to length' steel bars!! This is because if there's ANY compression left in the suspension, and you hit a bump or pot-hole big enough, that spring/shock WILL be able to compress that little bit more, make the strap loose for a bit, and then the rebound will subject the strap AND the vehicle to a MASSIVELY INCREASED Shock Load!! And THAT is what causes things to bend & break!! If you're lucky, whatever you break'll be something replaceable on the vehicle; if you're unlucky, it could be the frame or something else irreplaceable on the vehicle, or it could be the strap itself, leaving you with an unsecured vehicle ricochetting around in or off your trailer!!

Sorry about the epic tome, but you did ask!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2020 at 06:57 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hi, I discovered this method years ago ..... it's what professional auto haulers ( like for Mechum auto auctions for very high priced cars use ) .... use heavy duty Ratchet straps over the tires ( in-line with tread ) .... I only use one over the rear tire but you can use two or three.... one does the job though ..... you do need to bolt foldable rings on the floor - in front of the tire and at rear then tighten snug ..... I also put wood rails down ( screwed into floor, alongside both front tires .... this will prevent any side movement if you only use a strap on the rear tire .... I have pics of my set-up for my Truck in one of my Albums ...... others have posted this set-up here ..... do an advanced search ...... Mike
    Run a strap over the rear tire, (in the center of the rear tire,) so it does not scratch the Tupperware, and underneath the center of the spyder, and secure it to the front of the trailer. Your spyder will not move.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We were hauling 4 RTs in a 29’ enclosed trailer and we ran a strap through and then around the front wheels and then out to the side and one through and around the rear wheel. The trailer was equipped with E tracks which was nice, you use special ratchet straps that hook into the tracks. We never had an issue with this system, before strapping then in this manner it was suggested that we run a strap around the floor boards which we did and we had 3 straps cut through completely.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have a fuzion fifth wheel with only an 11' garage. This is your answer. I had the same problem. My tie downs are not even close to being straight with any wheel. and I refuse to to go through the wheels and mess up alignment. I made this exact contraption but with aluminum. I bought the two wheel extensions from them. Take a look at this sight. It is the same a snowmobile tie down hooks. There is a picture showing a Spyder strapped in. You can view the videos on youtube also. Take a look at these tie downs. I actually think they are better than superclamps. You paid some $70000 for a toy hauler, $400 is a drop in the bucket. I also have a snowmobile trailer that I run my Spyder in on small trips. That I tie down over the wheels like suggested and they never move. But check this site out for your toy hauler. It is top notch stuff. Very well make and will work in any toy hauler garage.

https://www.boltiton.com

Click on the sport bike pictures the Spyder is the second one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    We were hauling 4 RTs in a 29’ enclosed trailer and we ran a strap through and then around the front wheels and then out to the side and one through and around the rear wheel. The trailer was equipped with E tracks which was nice, you use special ratchet straps that hook into the tracks. We never had an issue with this system, before strapping then in this manner it was suggested that we run a strap around the floor boards which we did and we had 3 straps cut through completely.
    This would have been avoided ( the cutting through of the straps ) had done it the way myself and Peter Aawen explained ..... Rubber tires cannot cut through Straps ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I will agree with BlueKnight. I only stap over the rear tire and as long as its centered it will not cut. I have hauled mine a ton in snowmobile trailer and it never moves and have never hurt the strap. No way will rubber tire cut a strap. I even use a cheap $15.00 heavy duty 15' strap from Walmart. I can see it breaking going around boards.Just go over the tire.

Spyder Garage

If you can find a set of Spyder Super Clamps (no longer made but still out here) get them.
    TRAILER CHOCKS FOR SPYDER.jpg
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This would have been avoided ( the cutting through of the straps ) had done it the way myself and Peter Aawen explained ..... Rubber tires cannot cut through Straps ...... Mike
    Mike, we didn’t want to tie them that way but were told to do it and the result was cut straps. We never had an issue running straps around the tires. I was telling my experience with strapping to floorboards as this was mentioned by the OP as a possibility.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    The over the tire with a strap is the best method to hold your Spyder in place and not cause any damage. Look at this thread for some photos and ways to set up also do a search on the subject. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...+trailer+strap
    In reference to the link you posted.....member "bensonoid" .....that is the exact method I use also. The straps I bought hook directly into the E track and the roller is placed behind the front wheel. I have this setup for both my 6 x 10' utility trailer and my 44' Grand Design Toy Hauler. Spyder doesn't move.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Mike, we didn’t want to tie them that way but were told to do it and the result was cut straps. We never had an issue running straps around the tires. I was telling my experience with strapping to floorboards as this was mentioned by the OP as a possibility.
    Ann, unfortunately ... bad advice is all to common generally as well as on Spyderlovers about certain things like tires and today about " how to strap down a spyder "........ I'm sure when BRP put their strapping method into the manual, they had no idea what professional Auto haulers do. .... and I wasn't commenting on WHY you did it the way that could cause the straps to fail ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I use Mike's method, I haul our Spyder back and forth in a small enclosed trailer 2 twice a year from SD to AZ. One large strap over the rear tire into Etracks and the front tires go into ATV wheel chocks. Doesn't move around like it did before I switched to this method.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

I had Super Clamps Spyder Chocks. They worked well but stolen along with my trailer. On my new trailer. I installed E-track in line with the front wheels. Have a pair of E-chocks. They clip into the E-track when hauling the Spyder and removable when not. Then a strap over front tire. Works very well. I do nothing to the rear tire. See no need.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I had Super Clamps Spyder Chocks. They worked well but stolen along with my trailer. On my new trailer. I installed E-track in line with the front wheels. Have a pair of E-chocks. They clip into the E-track when hauling the Spyder and removable when not. Then a strap over front tire. Works very well. I do nothing to the rear tire. See no need.
    Refer to post #19 from BillyBovine.....and the pics he posted:

I don't have the track system shown here, but I do use a tie down directly in front of and directly behind each tire as shown here. I use a 7x14 utility trailer and I bought heavy duty toe down rings that I could place where I need to on the trailer deck. All it takes is 3 straps and 6 tie downs and you're good to go. I DO tie down all three tires in the same manner shown here on the fronts.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Stache,

Looks like a good idea. Currently out of stock but I will probably order a set when they are in stock again.
    2018 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Owatonnaspyder,

Were you at Sumter Oaks in FL this winter? I remember a couple with 2 Spyders in a toyhauler. You must have a really smooth riding unit if they stay put with just 2 straps. I use a 10k strap for the rear wheel and 5k for the rest.
    2018 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of you responders. I am going to try the over the tire and removable blocks around the front wheels to prevent side to side movement.

I have e-track forward and behind each tire. I have to use a winch connected to the bikes trailer hitch to pull the bike into the trailer backward for it to fit. I always leave the winch connected as a backup just in case a strap breaks.

Richard
    2018 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of you responders. I am going to try the over the tire and removable blocks around the front wheels to prevent side to side movement.

I have e-track forward and behind each tire. I have to use a winch connected to the bikes trailer hitch to pull the bike into the trailer backward for it to fit. I always leave the winch connected as a backup just in case a strap breaks.

Richard
    Something to consider .... when BRP designed that tow-hitch, they knew the trailer they were going to pull Should only weigh 400 lbs. maximum - LOADED !!! .... can that hitch tow a higher weight ... Probably ...., however 1200lbs. is 3 x's the rated weight., and the tow cable ( I believe ) will be at an Angle to the Hitch bolted to the swingarm ... the Hitch was also designed for a Tongue weight of only 40lbs. .... because you are moving 1200lbs. the pressure at the tongue is going to be Hugh .... I think 20 x's ( conservatively ) what the hitch is designed for ..... if you can Only load the spyder backwards I can't think of any safe way of towing it in ...... When I loaded my RT into the back of my Toyt., it climbed a 10ft ramp that required 28 inches of lift ..... I made a traction surface from a 26ga. length of sheet metal that I had dimpled ( 100's ) with a large nail.... I could and did load my RT up that ramp in the pouring rain - it Never slipped ..... good luck with this project ..... Mike