Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top speed

Spyder Garage

Default Top speed

So, I am seriously looking at buying a 2020 Spyder. I have not had the chance to
    ride the RT or the F3L. MY question for those that know, what is the top speed of either
    bike from a rolling speed of 75 mph in 6 gear. Known opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    I do not wish to spend 28K for a bike that will not top a 100 mph.

Thanks in advance!!

Dray

Spyder Garage

There is still room after the century mark.
    Not sure I understand the question " question for those that know, what is the top speed of either
    bike from a rolling speed of 75 mph in 6 gear."
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All I can say is I know my Spyder will do 90+. That was fast enough to get around a semi quickly!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    All the Spyders will top 100mph/160kmh, albeit some not neccessarily quickly &/or by a heap (after all, the RT's & any fully screened F3 Ltd's & T's hafta push a helluva lot of air ahead of them! ) - if someone's Spyder isn't at least capable of achieving that speed, then something is wrong!!

However, if you've had your ECU Upgraded by someone competent, there's a very good chance that how fast you get there AND the ultimate top speed of your Spyder is somewhat faster and a bunch higher now that the upper rev limits & throttle opening settings have been lifted - I know that mine has been, and my 2013 RTL has only got FIVE gears!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yes, the 1330 ACE engine will top the century number. BTDT.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This sorta goes along with one of my gripes about the RT's instrumentation.

Why does the speedo go to 200 MPH? At first, I thought that since it is made in Canada, it might be 200 KPH, but no.

Yeah, there are a few that will take it up that fast, but let's face it, 120 at the top of the dial should be plenty.

That would mean that we might actually get to see the needle move a bit while getting on the highway.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    This sorta goes along with one of my gripes about the RT's instrumentation.

Why does the speedo go to 200 MPH? At first, I thought that since it is made in Canada, it might be 200 KPH, but no.
    But YES! It is in fact 200 kph. If you go to preferences you change the cluster from English units to metric.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

..... At first, I thought that since it is made in Canada, it might be 200 KPH, but no.

Yeah, there are a few that will take it up that fast, but let's face it, 120 at the top of the dial should be plenty.....

Yep, it IS actually to cater for the 200kph thing.... only since the ECU Upgrade, my RT's speedo only going up to 200kph is simply not adequate!

And for those who really want to know, YES, exceeding that speed has been confirmed not only by a couple of fairly accurate GPS Units, but also by a recently recalibrated Radar unit! Do you really hafta ask?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RT SM5, have reached a speed of 112MPH, that’s a 998 2 cylinder, only modifications Baja Ron sway bar, front bump guard or skid plate, and I changed out the air system when I replaced the plugs, was not going through the long process of putting back and then removing all that crap the next time I replaced the plug on the right side.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

2016 F3T with BRP topcase , Madstad windshield and no ECU upgrade will easily hit 115mph with room to go.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Egads, those are totally impressive comments, just to know that the machine will reach those high numbers is enough for me. Just ain't stomping on my 2020 like that. It's OK to call me a wus, I can handle it. On the long ride two up with 'stuff', 70 is fine. That's why I invested in this fine machine. Remember, different strokes.......Oh drat, Love bug season here in FL, I'm slowing down. :>)

Spyder Garage

The top speed question is because that I have a problem driving behind 18 wheelers. I wish to get out, around
    and back in safely. My 2015 F3L would run close to 120 mph and my 2017 F3L has to take a little time getting to
    87 mph. according to my dealer this is because of gearing and the ECU starts closing the injectors as I get to
    85 or so. So for $28K, I can buy a Goldwing and cruise on or get my 2017 ECU reprogramed and be a happy camper.
    Just a curious question on my part.
    Thanks much for all the input.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Sounds like its time for an ECU Upgrade!!

If you do head down this path, I really doubt you'll ever regret it - it'll really make your Spyder!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Dray,
    Don't worry it will run plenty fast, in fact when the F-3's first come out, 160 mph was possible according to reports on Youtube! Now they set the computers to hold the speed down for safety reasons and lawsuits! I have had my F-3 Limited up to 115 mph and it had some room leftover! Most Harley boys who are showing out, I just ask them to put on the left blinker when they are at their top speed, and i don't have any problem sending them home!
    The Spyder is way more about great things like heated grips, heated seats, power steering, semi-auto transmissions, and a full reverse! Try a Goldwing or harley trike against the Spyder in reverse! The Spyder will be 10 times as fast! It is the best riding bike on the road with traction control, etc! My only concern was about reliability, but I'm on my third Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    But YES! It is in fact 200 kph. If you go to preferences you change the cluster from English units to metric.
    And, if you want to have some fun with an unsuspecting passenger...set the speedo to KPH and get out on the highway. Go about 65 to 70 mph and you will be topping 100. That gets a rise from the passenger.

My new 19 F3L does 75 mph nicely.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-02-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My stock Ryker will top 100mph. If you need faster acceleration on the 1330 DOWNSHIFT!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, I am seriously looking at buying a 2020 Spyder. I have not had the chance to
    ride the RT or the F3L. MY question for those that know, what is the top speed of either
    bike from a rolling speed of 75 mph in 6 gear. Known opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Dray
    My stock 2015 RTL will grab 100mph in 4th gear PDQ. I've topped it out at 117 in 5th. But 6th is more like overdrive, not for speed.

If you're doing 75 in 6th and want to pass something, you gotta downshift but it only takes a split second. Git 'er in 4th, crack that throttle, then HOLD ON with BOTH hands!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

My wife read somewhere that they are governed at 115mph.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Preferences have been verified to be American units. Have not verified against a GPS, but nearby traffic confirms it's at least close.

Spyder Garage

Preferences have been verified to be American units. Have not verified against a GPS, but nearby traffic confirms it's at least close.
    With stock tires the speedo will typically show about 3 mph over actual speed at 60 to 70 mph as checked against a GPS. This is to comply with International regulations that no vehicle speedometer indicate a speed less than actual. And based on what I have observed the native measurement system in the Spyder is metric with those values being converted to English units.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Anyone who has plugged in their PV3 can tell you top speed is 139 before and after.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    Anyone who has plugged in their PV3 can tell you top speed is 139 before and after.

T.P.
    What is PV3 ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    What is PV3 ??
    PV3 is a Dynojet Power Vision 3 . Go to Dynojet.com for a plethora of GO FAST gadgets.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance!!

Dray
    I saw 107 Friday and then ran out of room, she was still climbing. No issue passing 18 wheelers solo or two up.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome