Spyder Garage

Default Drive belt setting - strange behavior

Hi everyone - a question to the group - we set the belt in RS and it was done without a problem, but today we almost fell when setting the belt in F3 - tensioners zeroed, the wheel was evenly stretched backwards which gave the belt a good tension and then adjustment of the belt itself - done as written in service manual - it seemed everything was ok but after driving some distance it turned out that despite twisting the bolt from the shaft the belt somehow moved to the center and it stayed so but during the reversing suddenly it turned out that the belt is moving to the inside of the drive wheel - the opposite be - rather on backwards should go outside and go forward hiding - as if regulation and checking showed that it is ok but after driving home something else came out - can everything turn after twisting everything that changes the position of the strap?

Spyder Garage

There must be something lost in the translation here. I'm not really understanding what you are saying.

I can tell you that the belt will wander when ridden in reverse. If your belt rides correctly on the pulleys going in the forward direction. Just ignore what the belt does in reverse.

If your problem is axle shaft movement. You must lock down the adjusters at the back of the swing-arm or the axle shaft can move, regardless of how tight you get the axle nut. It doesn't take much movement to throw the belt adjustment off.

Another issue is if you make your adjustments with the axle nut quite loose, it can make things much more difficult. I do mine with the axle nut quite snug. Just loose enough to allow me to move the axle with the adjusters at the back. Otherwise, everything is just right until you tighten the axle nut. When the wheel bearings, spacers, etc., all get aligned due to the increased tension on the axle nut, it throws your adjustment off.

I hope this gets to at least part of your question.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-27-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

For the life of me I do not know why they could not make that whole assembly such so the adjustment bolts would push and pull the axle with not free play! Then it would make the whole job a lot easyer to adjust! No having to make sure your adjustment blocks don't wiggle and hammering the nut forward if it dose!! Big pain!! Shaft drive the whole works!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

thanks for the answer. the left tensioners were adjusted, i.e. the wheel is like left, i.e. the belt should lie on the right edge of the drive wheel and on the reverse go to the outside - we have the opposite. while driving, it goes out slightly and in reverse pulls it to the right, although, as I wrote, we stretched the left tensioner.

Spyder Garage

hi Syciu
    belt is not running central
    check rear wheel bearings(both sides)
    check front pulley for spline wear

good luck..russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

O.K., here is a heads up!! I had the same problem you are having and the solution was expensive. My belt started running about
    1/2" off the outside of the rear pulley and after a couple of trips to the dealer the problem was found. The drive pulley was loose
    on the shaft, the belt had a small rock embedded in the rubber and the rear axle was a mess. The axle bearings, seals and spacers
    were all loose on the shaft. One of the bearings was totally locked up and everything would slide up and down a destroyed shaft.
    New front pulley, new belt, all new axle bearings, seals, spacers and axle shaft. Did I mention expensive? When backing up the belt
    does move over a little bit but does ride where it is suppose to going forward. They did a couple of factory s/w upgrades and the
    bike is faster. Best of luck with your bike.

Dray