Thread: Wind turbulence

Spyder Garage

Default Wind turbulence

ok for some 35 years I have always had some type of motorcycle today we have 900 Vulcan, 2012 Can Am RTL, and just added 2019 F3L.
    While my grandfather was a L.A. County Motorcycle cop in 1935. My Father was a Long Beach,Ca motorcycle cop after the Navy. So my two brothers and I sure had a lot of years learning to ride together as a pair group in close formation. Not possible with a three wheel but that isn't the issue.
    So here is the issue I have about wind flow around the spyder, last year my older brother who rides a Harley Softail and a BMW 1600 GTL. While we toured the country last year 6900 miles. We had ample time to ride side by side when four lanes made that possible, and when we trailed each other I always found it a little puzzling that my brother rode what I thought was a little far of a gap between us, Something OUR father would would not allow.
    About half way thru our trip last year while talking that evening I said something about our dad and and my bothers lagging down the highway. He said HELL, BOY.... that Spyder moves a lot of air and if I stay any closer its like riding in a wake of a 18wheeler. (?) I was puzzled but fine I though he must be getting OLD and he IS.
    So this past fall, winter and now spring has my wife learning to ride her own Spyder. So hear I am learning just what kind wind management the Spyder passes to the rear.... bad really bad. Around 45mph isn't that noticeable but at 60 plus lord help you.
    Yesterday for the first time she rode the F3 and I trailed her on my trusty 900 Vulcan, I hear my wife say of the headset.... WHY ARE YOU SO FAR BACK
    2012 , java

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you look at the Spyder from the rear it is about the same size as a small car, wheels and fenders sticking out the sides
    not enclosed like a car plus the rider and vehicle height is about the same as a car as well so it it not a surprise that there
    would be turbulence behind it like a car, maybe even a little more.
    Best to give you and your riding mates room aprox 3 seconds or more behind them.
    Best to forget the close formation riding when on the Spyder and also lane splitting is out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrydonna View Post
    ok for some 35 years I have always had some type of motorcycle today we have 900 Vulcan, 2012 Can Am RTL, and just added 2019 F3L.
    While my grandfather was a L.A. County Motorcycle cop in 1935. My Father was a Long Beach,Ca motorcycle cop after the Navy. So my two brothers and I sure had a lot of years learning to ride together as a pair group in close formation. Not possible with a three wheel but that isn't the issue.
    So here is the issue I have about wind flow around the spyder, last year my older brother who rides a Harley Softail and a BMW 1600 GTL. While we toured the country last year 6900 miles. We had ample time to ride side by side when four lanes made that possible, and when we trailed each other I always found it a little puzzling that my brother rode what I thought was a little far of a gap between us, Something OUR father would would not allow.
    About half way thru our trip last year while talking that evening I said something about our dad and and my bothers lagging down the highway. He said HELL, BOY.... that Spyder moves a lot of air and if I stay any closer its like riding in a wake of a 18wheeler. (?) I was puzzled but fine I though he must be getting OLD and he IS.
    So this past fall, winter and now spring has my wife learning to ride her own Spyder. So hear I am learning just what kind wind management the Spyder passes to the rear.... bad really bad. Around 45mph isn't that noticeable but at 60 plus lord help you.
    Yesterday for the first time she rode the F3 and I trailed her on my trusty 900 Vulcan, I hear my wife say of the headset.... WHY ARE YOU SO FAR BACK

Spyder Garage

even when I was child +/- 1970 my father would lane split in the southern Ca. hwy. He would reach back and tap the outside of my knee (I couldn't see around him) that told me to hold on and dont move and I felt the bike blast off thru slower traffic.
    That scared me so bad I never remember doing it while driving, I think I might have slide past a few cars while at stop lights, if not dad would leave US.
    Lord I miss that old man, my mother who is now 90 and still very open minded and would love to be able to get on back, but sad she is unable.
    2012 , java

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This isn't directly applicable but is an indicator, I think. When the 747 first started flying there were reports of such a strong air turbulence behind them that small airplanes got flipped over if they entered the runway even minutes after the 747 took off. Narrow runways had the edges torn up from the turbulence. The problem was bad enough that the FAA and airline manufacturers conducted turbulence tests of both the 747 and C5 over the desert in southern Idaho in 1968, I worked out there and saw them flying around. Hay stacks were set up to provide some means of showing how much turbulence there was.

So, in short, the bigger the vehicle, the greater the turbulence behind it!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

When I had the spyder my buddy on his FJR said the turbulence was bad but it was better when I towed the Bushtec. Now that I'm back on a wing he says a 2 second gap is comfy.