Thread: Deer Deterrent

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Deer Deterrent

Anyone use these??? If so, your personal experience...Thank You, larryd

https://xp3hornet.com/about-the-hornet/

Spyder Garage

There have been several posts on this forum about the "Great Debate" of deer warning devices. They make noise when air passes through the whistle. One well placed bug will render them silent! I tried them once and they were worthless. The deer just ignored me as I passed. So now I use my stereo playing through the fairing speakers. Makes a pleasant noise that I can enjoy and deer can hear too. I've even spotted a cow and horse or two giving me the eyeball..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you DO mount whistles, make sure you have them facing the correct direction.

If you mount them backward, the deer will be chasing you.

Spyder Garage

LOL, don't bother. There is always a 50/50 chance the deer will choose to run out in front of you. There is no guarantee they will run away from you. I remember when the little plastic adhesive whistles came out too. Designed to do the same thing, and probably still being sold. Supposedly emitting a sound that will distract the deer long enough to look at ya and then bolt right out into the lit path of your headlights. I certainly wouldn't buy an electric version when the cheap stick on air operated ones are designed to do the same thing for a fraction of the price. I suppose the only difference would be that the electric ones would supposedly always emit the sound, whereas the air whistles do require the correct stream of air to flow through them...?? Just my two cents, bit nothing beats slowing down a bit and paying closer attn at crucial times of the day
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Deer whistles, IMO, are like Guardian Bells. They are as good as the legends that follow them.

Deer are a real hazard in many places. I am back in one of them now. Extra caution at all times.

I do have a guardian bell on my 2014...but not on my 2019 or my Vulcan. I guess this will be the start of a big test.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    If you DO mount whistles, make sure you have them facing the correct direction.

If you mount them backward, the deer will be chasing you.

It doesn't make any difference which way you mount them, they work the same in both directions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    It doesn't make any difference which way you mount them, they work the same in both directions.
    Well played sir!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

A loud excuse works too. Ryding at Spyder in the hills, my route to enchanted rock had a lot of deer. I could tell my RLS exaust alerted them I was there.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Believe it or not, I think about this quit a lot! WE live in DEER country. They kill a lot of people in cars/trucks each year. And, I assume they take out more than a few motorcycles.

It is not about hitting the deer, it is about swerving to avoid them. The bar ditches in Kansas are DEEP!! So, someone veers to avoid a deer at ~60 mph, and they go into the bar ditch and roll. A heck of a lot of people in Kansas don't wear seatbelts. DOA.

What I have been thinking about is a having a pair of speakers, power by an amp, which has the sound level varying with speed, and broadcasting deer's distress signals. Just a thought.

Below is interesting reading.

Hearing Range of White‐Tailed Deer as Determined by Auditory Brainstem Response
    GINO J. D'ANGELO ALBERT R. DE CHICCHIS DAVID A. OSBORN GEORGE R. GALLAGHER ROBERT J. WARREN KARL V. MILLER
    First published: 13 December 2010 https://doi.org/10.2193/2006-326Citations: 10

Abstract
    Abstract: Basic knowledge of white‐tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) hearing can improve understanding of deer behavior and may assist in the development of effective deterrent strategies. Using auditory brainstem response testing, we determined that white‐tailed deer hear within the range of frequencies we tested, between 0.25–30 kilohertz (kHz), with best sensitivity between 4–8 kHz. The upper limit of human hearing lies at about 20 kHz, whereas we demonstrated that white‐tailed deer detected frequencies to at least 30 kHz. This difference suggests that research on the use of ultrasonic (frequencies >20 kHz) auditory deterrents is justified as a possible means of reducing deer—human conflicts.

Y'all may find this website interesting. It has a lot of deer calls.

http://www.fearnotcalls.com/Deer-sounds1.html

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lot of years ago I saw my first set mounted on a car, asked the older gentleman what they were. He explained and I asked if they worked, he said they cost him .99 and he put them on about 9 years ago. He said in all that time while traveling through deer country he never had one in front of him.
    I liked his reply.

Spyder Garage

I sing really loud and scare anything out of my way!
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Spyder Garage

Too many variables with deer. If they see you, sometimes they will just stand side of the road and watch you pass by. If you scare them, they are likely to run back and forth across the road in front of you 3 times, trying to decide which way to run. If there is young, or if there is a small herd of them, the ones that made it across the road are likely to turn and run back to the herd. The ones that didn't make it across the road will wait until the last minute and try to dash across the road to rejoin the herd just before you get there.

I been living around deer most of my life. I try not to drive or ride, just before daylight or around twilight. I slow way down when going past the watermelon fields, fields of greens, or anything else the deer like to eat.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I had one on each of my Beemers. On one trip we encountered several herds of elk. When i saw the elk, i remembered i had not turned on the hornet, so I did so. All immediately were heads up and looking at us. I had apparent good results with the local white tails also. One is going on the RT this weekend.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jnt View Post
    I had one on each of my Beemers. On one trip we encountered several herds of elk. When i saw the elk, i remembered i had not turned on the hornet, so I did so. All immediately were heads up and looking at us. I had apparent good results with the local white tails also. One is going on the RT this weekend.
    jnt, I'd like to know which model your using and where you ended up mounting it...

I live in prime deer country, and the last several years I'm seeing deer ANYTIME during the day...The deer herd seems to be on a high around here...Seen 3 road kills going to and from the grocery store this week alone...DEER ARE MY BIGGEST FEAR RIDING...THANK YOU, larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Better than being reliant on an external safety devise for your protection, the phrase "heads up," comes to mind. Pay attention to what you are doing, slow down and don't focus on the one that's already crossed the road! Also don't leave the pavement during your evasive maneuvers. The old "slide and ride" technique just doesn't work with a 3 wheeler. :-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"I live in prime deer country, and the last several years I'm seeing deer ANYTIME during the day...The deer herd seems to be on a high around here...Seen 3 road kills going to and from the grocery store this week alone...DEER ARE MY BIGGEST FEAR RIDING...THANK YOU, larryd"

That should be a warning! Dead deer along the highway means migration time or the area is a known deer crossing area. Slow down! Folks where i live have deer as pets and are constantly feeding them. The deer travel in groups from house to house crossing the highway to their next free food provider. The state game department has over time made attempts to discourage people from feeding the wildlife, but to no avail. Well intended humans are one of the worst enemies a deer can have. My wife is the perfect example. She puts out the vegetable trimmings for the deer, and then gets mad when they eat her flowers!!!!! I'd have to divorce her to stop her from feeding them, but i can't afford that.

Spyder Garage

We bought several sets and found that when you blow in them less than half whistled, it took several sets to get enough pairs to fit up on our bikes.
    Maybe that's why people don't have any luck with them.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
    We bought several sets and found that when you blow in them less than half whistled, it took several sets to get enough pairs to fit up on our bikes.
    Maybe that's why people don't have any luck with them.
    The xp3hornet's are 12 volt powered...has nothing to do with air movement thru them...