Thread: LED Headlights.

Spyder Garage

Default LED Headlights.

I searched through the posts and it seems like the only LED upgrades that are being done are the expensive kits sold by the Spyder aftermarket websites.

I used to have a Ryker and I put LED's on it from Amazon for around 35 bucks and they were really good.

My question I guess is has anyone installed the cheaper ones and if so what did you go with?

Spyder Garage

IMO, you gets what you pays for.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chrisely View Post
    I searched through the posts and it seems like the only LED upgrades that are being done are the expensive kits sold by the Spyder aftermarket websites.

I used to have a Ryker and I put LED's on it from Amazon for around 35 bucks and they were really good.

My question I guess is has anyone installed the cheaper ones and if so what did you go with?
    The reason for the difference is the Ryker uses a very common H4 hi/low beam bulb. Lot's of manufacturers for the conventional bulbs so also for the LED replacements. The Spyder uses a single beam bulb so the bulb construction is altogether different. Lot fewer of them on the market, hence the higher prices.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chrisely View Post

What year and model Spyder? Our 2014 came with single element 9005 bulbs and at the time many aftermarket bulbs were available.

Spyder Garage

I can only speculate as I think there are smarter people than me who have already thought through this. My 2018 RTL just got LED's (Yes, the expensive ones) and there are a couple of hurdles to overcome. The headlights were listed as 9005's, the fog lamps were listed as H9's. For the LED conversion you have to have a driver, which adds bulk. Cheaper ones have a larger driver, which may not fit in the headlight cover. Some folks have had shutter problems when the components of the LED conversion got tangled up in the shutter system. On most of the Spyder dedicated LED bulbs there is some kind of adjustment so you can tune the headlight bulb pattern to the headlight bucket. I chose the 360° LED to see if it makes a better pattern as it has light output all the way around like the incandescent bulb. I can't attest to their reliability, but have heard very good comments on the customer service.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I bought a set of these back in Nov 2018 when they were $35. Also applied a $10 GC, to make my purchase $25. They work really well. Not sure if they're better than $100 ones, but much nicer than OEM halogens...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I may be wrong but some people reported getting interference from the LED into their computer.The ones sold by the Spyder parts suppliers have been sourced and tested so as to work properly with your Can Bus system.Adding electrical acessories to a Spyder can sometimes be tricky so you do get what you pay for.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Typed up a reply and it vanished. I've used these twice now. Can't compare them to the "you must buy these or you will screw everything up" options from the "approved" Spyder accessory shops - but I can say they are a huge improvement over stock. Fit fine with the driver inside the covers on the 2019 RTL. Oh, and contrary to what you'll read on most threads related to this topic, the Spyder hasn't had any can bus issues, had any electrical issues, and it hasn't exploded. :-)

-----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaybros View Post
    imo, you gets what you pays for.
    exactly !!!
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    so you do get what you pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by fireplug98 View Post
    exactly !!!
    Not always. My first set of LED headlights were about the same cost as the second set. The first ones were the two sided variety, the second 360°. The light is much better from the 360° version because of the projector design on the headlights.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Typed up a reply and it vanished. I've used these twice now. Can't compare them to the "you must buy these or you will screw everything up" options from the "approved" Spyder accessory shops - but I can say they are a huge improvement over stock. Fit fine with the driver inside the covers on the 2019 RTL. Oh, and contrary to what you'll read on most threads related to this topic, the Spyder hasn't had any can bus issues, had any electrical issues, and it hasn't exploded. :-)

How is your RADIO reception with those ???? ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Not always. My first set of LED headlights were about the same cost as the second set. The first ones were the two sided variety, the second 360°. The light is much better from the 360° version because of the projector design on the headlights.
    I also have the 360* LED headlights----- they are very good. Wouldn't mind having the Clearwater lights I mentioned above because they greater---- but far to expensive for my tastes.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow