Spyder Garage

Default Throttle Lock Removed

I though it was a good idea, until it wasn’t. When you wonder why brakes aren’t slowing you down it might be time to rethink a throttle lock. I know it works well for some, but the cruise control on my Spyder RT must have ruined me.

Risk outweighs reward. I had stripped the screw during installation, and had to cut the darn thing off.
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes-sir-reee. I've been trying to inform posters of the dangers of throttle locks, but they still want them. That is, like you, untill they experience a close one. You didn't end up getting hurt thank goodness.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
    I though it was a good idea, until it wasn’t. When you wonder why brakes aren’t slowing you down it might be time to rethink a throttle lock. I know it works well for some, but the cruise control on my Spyder RT must have ruined me.

Risk outweighs reward. I had stripped the screw during installation, and had to cut the darn thing off.
    .....I'm really sure every RT spyder since the beginning had electronic Cruise as a standard feature ..... So what or why did you put on a Throttle Lock ..... imho that was asking for trouble ...... hopefully you didn't damage anything ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....I'm really sure every RT spyder since the beginning had electronic Cruise as a standard feature ..... So what or why did you put on a Throttle Lock ..... imho that was asking for trouble ...... hopefully you didn't damage anything ..... Mike
    This was on my Can Am Ryker.
    2020 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Sometimes this Forum is confusing is this a Spyder Forum or a Ryker Forum?

Spyder Garage

I knew that.....but sometimes in other threads....deeez!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    Sometimes this Forum is confusing is this a Spyder Forum or a Ryker Forum?
    This post was in the Ryker section of the forum.
    2020 Ryker Rally

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well then why did you post " on my Spyder RT " ???? ..... very confusing to say the least ..... the only Forum platform I use is " What's new " ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well then why did you post " on my Spyder RT " ???? ..... very confusing to say the least ..... the only Forum platform I use is " What's new " ..... Mike
    Hey man, open yo eyes. he's got one of each. LOL :-)

Spyder Garage

Mike,

Relax. I have the same challenge sometimes, as I usually click the New Posts link as well. I posted in the Ryker section about a throttle lock on my Ryker. I mentioned the RT cruise control having ruined me because I also have an RT.
    2020 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Reminds me of conversation I have had with racers wanting me to make their machine faster.

Most were so broke they barely afforded the gas.

I explained, fastest modification and low cost. With the engine off, open throttle all the way. Then drill a hole through the grip, throttle pipe and into the handlebars. Then install a short drywall screw to hold it there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Reminds me of conversation I have had with racers wanting me to make their machine faster.

Most were so broke they barely afforded the gas.

I explained, fastest modification and low cost. With the engine off, open throttle all the way. Then drill a hole through the grip, throttle pipe and into the handlebars. Then install a short drywall screw to hold it there.
    So, were you applying the Darwin Effect with this advise?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Which throttle lock were you using?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    So, were you applying the Darwin Effect with this advise?
    Maybe slightly...think about it though, a person has a motorcycle, they install a clamp on the throttle to hold a steady speed. Might be great if you live in Nowhere Montana, but seriously, in a need to stop now, I doubt unlocking the throttle is a first thought, more like Brakes, Brakes, Brakes. Maybe a Darwin supporter invented the aftermarket throttle lock?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Maybe slightly...think about it though, a person has a motorcycle, they install a clamp on the throttle to hold a steady speed. Might be great if you live in Nowhere Montana, but seriously, in a need to stop now, I doubt unlocking the throttle is a first thought, more like Brakes, Brakes, Brakes. Maybe a Darwin supporter invented the aftermarket throttle lock?
    I am not a big fan of throttle locks. I know that my 1970 Honda 750 had a friction set screw from the factory that you could 'Lock' the throttle in position with. That was a very bad idea. I've had throttle locks in the past that didn't really lock the throttle. You could easily turn it back, if needed. But the whole idea of a throttle lock is to be able to move your hand off the throttle altogether. And I think this is where the danger lies. If you have cruise control. You just hit the brakes and it releases the throttle. Not so with a lock, of course. But all of the modern throttle locks I am familiar with are designed to release as soon as the throttle is twisted forward. They don't restrict throttle movement, is what I am trying to say.

I am not a big fan of wrist tab (cramp buster) type throttle controls. I know a lot of people use them. And to each, his own. But they can also be very dangerous as well.

Spyder Garage

If one does not wish to hold onto the steering, perhaps an Uber is called for?

I installed ISO grips on my Rally that have raised soft rubber pads, that are very comfortable. If I am on a long stretch of road and wish to rest my fingers, I simply leave my palm on those very soft pads and open my fingers. I still have the acceleration speed, control and can relax my finger grip. The palm is sufficient to hold the speed until I wish to slow down or speed up. I had a thumb screw rev set on my Harley that I tried once or twice and found it not to be very good, even though it allowed me to set the throttle just enough to hold it if I wished to take my hand off the bar. I could easily slow down with it, since the resistance was just enough to hold the speed I set it for. I still did not like the idea, so I did not use it after the first couple tries. I prefer to have control, TOTAL control of my riding. Just my opinion; an opinion of an old 70yo codger that still enjoys life. I found that if life served me up a high maintenance left hand (clutch hand) then I made lemonade by purchasing a Ryker. Problem solved.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post

I installed ISO grips on my Rally that have raised soft rubber pads, that are very comfortable. If I am on a long stretch of road and wish to rest my fingers, I simply leave my palm on those very soft pads and open my fingers. I still have the acceleration speed, control and can relax my finger grip. The palm is sufficient to hold the speed until I wish to slow down or speed up. I had a thumb screw rev set on my Harley that I tried once or twice and found it not to be very good, even though it allowed me to set the throttle just enough to hold it if I wished to take my hand off the bar. I could easily slow down with it, since the resistance was just enough to hold the speed I set it for. I still did not like the idea, so I did not use it after the first couple tries. I prefer to have control, TOTAL control of my riding. Just my opinion; an opinion of an old 70yo codger that still enjoys life. I found that if life served me up a high maintenance left hand (clutch hand) then I made lemonade by purchasing a Ryker. Problem solved.
    I have the foam grips installed over the factory grips and do the exact same thing as you.....which is open my fingers and apply pressure with just the palm of my hand. Works perfectly.

Spyder Garage

For years on two wheelers I ran a large o-ring on the throttle side bar weight. Rolling that over into the gap between the weight and the grip with my pinky was very effective for maintaining speed while relaxing the hand. A simple twist out would overcome friction for slowing or stopping. and the ring could be popped right back over onto the bar weight.
    All that went away with some creative installs of auto aftermarket cruise controls. Back in the day it was Audiovox units. Today, the Rostra. Installed the Audiovox on a Concours, and a Katana. A friend has one on his all purpose KLR.
    http://www.rostra.com/universal-afte...-by-rostra.php
    Throttle locks though... thats bad mojo. Never.

Spyder Garage

Found the best answer to "cruise control" on Ryker is whats called a Throttle Rocker (throttlerocker.com) slips on and off easily uses heel of your palm to adjust throttle position. I have nothing to do with the company but have used these for years on various bikes.
    2019 Rally , GMUltra Violet

Spyder Garage

Fit a cramp buster great and no problems nico 75

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Goldwing has electronic cruise control. My Suzukis have Vista Cruise throttle locks, but contrary to what I am seeing here, they do NOT "lock" the throttle. They merely offer enough resistance to overcome the normal tension of the return spring. Still able to add some throttle when going up an overpass, still able to reduce a bit when going down the other side. It just removes the need to hold it ALL the time, allowing you to scratch your right calf, if necessary.

Those Cramp Busters or Throttle Rockers or whatever you call them are EVIL. It is harder (for me) to use them because your wrist is locked in one position and you still can't scratch your leg. There are times that I will relax my grip a bit, roll my fingers around the grip and re-grasp. The throttle position has not change, but my wrist has, giving a bit of relief. A Cramp Buster won't allow that. I have also had the surpise of a sudden burst of acceleration when the front wheel hit a bump. The bike came up, my wrist didn't, that resulted in pressure on the Cramp Buster and opening the throttle. I peeled the blasted thing off and threw it in the ditch.

My wife has enjoyed the Vista Cruise on her Suzuki for 15 years, and is now looking forward to an actual cruise control on her Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post

When you are doing 1,000+ miles in a day. It's very nice to be able to take your hand off the right side. It's nice on shorter trips as well. We are talking about wide open, straight freeway roads. I understand that something could still happen. But it is very unlikely.