Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zumo XT

Spyder Garage

Default Zumo XT

I understand the newest zumo, XT, is now on the market. Has anyone purchased yet and will the old mounting bracket work on the new one?

Spyder Garage

I purchased one a few weeks ago, but you would probably need to be more specific than "the old one" in order get an answer. As far as mine is concerned, the last motorcycle specific Garmin I have owned was/is the Zumo 550 and it definitely won't fit that mount. Maybe someone else can help, but you probably need to refer to a certain model rather than the old one.

Spyder Garage

I can't be certain, but from the photos of the XT, it looks like the mounting is unique.
    Perhaps Garmin is starting a new series of GPS units ?

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigTim View Post
    I understand the newest zumo, XT, is now on the market. Has anyone purchased yet and will the old mounting bracket work on the new one?
    Here is a picture of the back of the Zumo XT. The area within the red is where the mounting base fits.....

On the right side of the picture, the power button is on top, the next opening (covered with a rubber flap) is where the micro SD card goes if you need one (can put in a micro SD card up to 64GB capacity), and the opening below that is where you connect a USB to the GPS for charging and for file transfer. That port is a "mini" USB, not a micro USB port. Then, right below that is a speaker, which I guess is used if you put the GPS in a car mount and aren't using BlueTooth to send the sound to the car audio system.

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, the internal memory of the XT is 32GB for maps, MP3 files, POI, etc......so quite a large internal memory, especially when compared to my old Zumo 550..........which I think was 4GB

Spyder Garage

I put the new Garmin Garmin Zumo XT with Lamonster Ram mount on his Handlebars mount.
    It pushed it up a little too tall for me so I took off the RAM mount off of his aluminum bracket
    and bolted directly the Zumo mount to it. Surprisingly the holes were the same and so are the
    threads. I use the same bolts that held on the Ram Mount to put on the Zumo mount.
    It sits low and flat but easy to see and out-of-the-way

20200402_122548.jpg

20200406_051256 (1).jpg

20200406_051318 (1).jpg

20200405_111128.jpg

gpsmount.JPG

Spyder Garage

I put a Zumo XT on my 2020 RTL. Please see the photos and perhaps this will help you in your decision making.
    Rob

IMG_2023.jpg IMG_2024.jpg IMG_2025.jpg
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for your replies. Sorry I wasn’t specific enough. I just purchased a 2020 limited and just wondering what bracket I need for the Zumo xt.

Spyder Garage

Good info!

Spyder Garage

Nexus, can you explain how you wired your GPS up and/or direct me to an installation video? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by giantjas View Post
    Nexus, can you explain how you wired your GPS up and/or direct me to an installation video? Thanks

This was the easiest GPS to hook up all it has the hotwire and negative.
    I put in a separate accessory fuse panel 14 circuit-7 hook to a solenoid for
    the key switch that turns on 80 amp relay for power.
    The other 7 have power on always with a 40 amp main fuse.

fuse.jpg

All you really have to do is hook it to the battery it's fused already.
    Some people would rather have it hooked to the accessories when you key the switch.
    I have mine hot all the time. I have found once it is fully charged it has no draw on it.

(The device must be mounted in a suitable and secure location on your motorcycle,
    based on available power sources and safe cable routing. No fuse is required
    .)

zumo1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Spyder Garage

It is a pretty easy hookup and the only thing I would add here it that if you route the wiring really tucked away in behind the bodywork, try to make sure that you have easy access to the fuse just in case something happens and it blows. Mine ended up being accessible by just raising the frunk lid.

Spyder Garage

Do you owners think the mounting plate will hold up in the elements when the unit is off? I'd likely put one of these .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAP-S-KNOB3...s/202903807403 on the RAM arm to make it semi secure..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can also get a Ram locking mount kit
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143124538311

I Believe the Zumo XT does not have a replaceable battery at least on the You tube review I watched the reviewer could not see any access to the battery
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried using their Zumo XT with a Garmin branded 12v male power cord? This is how I'd likely use it on my Spyder with this mount. Thx
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Has anyone tried using their Zumo XT with a Garmin branded 12v male power cord? This is how I'd likely use it on my Spyder with this mount. Thx
    Even though it is a motorcycle GPS, there is an accessory for the XT for mounting in a vehicle. That accessory kit comes with a base that has a 12V cigarette lighter/power port plug on the end of it. You probably would need/want to shorten the cord though or you'd have a bunch of cord all looped/coiled up. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12953-01

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    Even though it is a motorcycle GPS, there is an accessory for the XT for mounting in a vehicle. That accessory kit comes with a base that has a 12V cigarette lighter/power port plug on the end of it. You probably would need/want to shorten the cord though or you'd have a bunch of cord all looped/coiled up. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12953-01
    Still owning a few Garmin auto gps's, I have a few 12v power cords. I have wound them up/tied off to a workable length. I have a note in to Garmin, but who knows how long before they answer me?? Just wondering if those cords would work? Gotta believe so, but ????

** Just received from Garmin:

Hello Jeff,
    Yes, the vehicle power cable that came with the Nuvi 2589 will work with the Zumo XT. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
    Rick
    Product Support
    Garmin International

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    You can also get a Ram locking mount kit
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143124538311

I Believe the Zumo XT does not have a replaceable battery at least on the You tube review I watched the reviewer could not see any access to the battery

POST # 4 shows access to the battery.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    POST # 4 shows access to the battery.

Cruzr Joe
    Joe, post 4 is the picture that I posted of the back of the GPS and was meant to show the shape of the "Mounting" hole for the supplied base with the XT. It also shows the rubber covers for both the micro SD card slot and the cover over the port for the mini USB cable input for charging and or hooking up to your computer. I see nothing that indicates that battery access is available for the XT.

Spyder Garage

It is a pretty easy hookup and the only thing I would add here it that if you route the wiring really tucked away in behind the bodywork, try to make sure that you have easy access to the fuse just in case something happens and it blows. Mine ended up being accessible by just raising the frunk lid.
    Did you run your power cable directly to the battery, or did you use the switched accessory connection under the frunk ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Did you run your power cable directly to the battery, or did you use the switched accessory connection under the frunk ?
    I used the switched accessory wires under the frunk. I figure that if I'm stopped somewhere and I need to use it without starting the Spyder, it's got battery power to run on. And BTW, those wires are hidden really well, I looked and looked and looked some more. Finally, I bit the bullet and pulled the battery and they were off to the "clutch" side of the battery. It helped that I had a Service Manual that I downloaded right after I got the Spyder and knew what color wires to look for.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I used the switched accessory wires under the frunk. I figure that if I'm stopped somewhere and I need to use it without starting the Spyder, it's got battery power to run on. And BTW, those wires are hidden really well, I looked and looked and looked some more. Finally, I bit the bullet and pulled the battery and they were off to the "clutch" side of the battery. It helped that I had a Service Manual that I downloaded right after I got the Spyder and knew what color wires to look for.
    Ha .. Yup. I'm currently using that line for some really low draw frunk lip LED lights. That's where I'll run my connection..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Just ordered one thru Amazon. They dropped a bit, down to $479 Still pricey, but looks like a nice GPS..
    https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-All-Te...8337120&sr=8-2

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Any one get their supplied handlebar mount u-bolt to fit on their F3 ? I used my center location but thought I'd attach the supplied handlebar mount to use for a phone/Ipod/etc. The supplied u-bolt is too short !
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Easy fix. Go to a harware store and by a longer one. If is silver in color, paint it.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I know the fix (wouldn't waste time painting a SS u-bolt black). Just wondering if others had this issue. If so, Garmin needs to supply a longer u-bolt. Hell, it is a $500 GPS

** Just read on Garmin's website that the bolt is designed for 1" bars. Kind of a bummer as most modern day ADV bikes (and Spyders) have 1-1/8" bars. Maybe include a u-bolt for each application, or a reducer that RAM uses on some of their handlebar mounts. **

2022 RT Sea To Sky