Spyder Garage

Default Which Brake Position Rod to lower the brake pedal?

I want to replace the brake position rod on my F3 LTD. The problem is I don't know which one to buy. I saw the lamonster video and my brake pedal is the same high position as the video . I want it to be the lowered position on the video with the new brake position rod. I just don't know what number to buy. I am thinking position 3 but I am just not sure. I know a few people here know how and what number will lower the pedal.

Spyder Garage

There are 5 holes through which the front brake rod bolt can go. By feeling for them you can figure out which is being used. That is the number you need. It is probably 3 as you surmise. It was on mine.

Spyder Garage

There are really two different issues involved here - first is foot position relative to how you wish to sit on your F3 Spyder to feel most comfortable in relation to your personal body height/physical frame. The second is brake pedal height. The F3 has a "U-fit" system where you can adjust the foot pegs or pads, and/or your 'reach' to the handle bars. The standard position for foot pegs/floor boards is position "3" (the middle one). If you move the pegs/pads forward to positions 4 or 5, you need to buy a longer brake rod; if you move back to positions 1 or 2, you need a shorter rod. After you have decided which position is best for you, and installed the appropriate OEM brake rod, the second issue of brake pedal height comes into play. Many of us have found the OEM factory-designed height of the brake pedal to be awkward or too high. There are solutions to this. The simplest and cheapest is to drill a new hole in the forward yoke of the brake rod closer to the throat by about 7/16" (no more or it will bind); this will effectively 'drop' the pedal about 1" and still allow proper motion or travel. Other solutions are available through several SL suppliers, and are mentioned in other threads on this Forum. These other solutions provide for adjustable brake rod lengths which may allow you to, both, switch peg/pad position as well as adjust pedal height (a 2-for-1 solution). There may be other approaches, but if you search past threads here, you will find thorough discussions and helpful hints, as well as suppliers to whom you can look for any needed parts. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I checked and it is three i need to order Thank you wmjkweber02 and bushrat I have to say this is the best resource to get information on spyders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    I checked and it is three i need to order Thank you wmjkweber02 and bushrat I have to say this is the best resource to get information on spyders.
    So since you are at position 3 and you want to lower your brake pedal. Order Lamonsters brake lowering rod position 3. I think its 60 bucks. You will find the rod is about 1/2 inch shorter than the stock rod.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Along the lines of what JP said above, make sure you speak to Lamonster before purchasing. It isn’t clear from your post above whether you are simply looking for a new rod to pull your brake pedal lower, or if you are looking to change your peg/board position at the same time.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If you are handy with tools and have a drill press, PM me for instructions for what I did to get my brake pedal exactly where I want it. I have all the brake rods and none would do that for me. Here's a teaser photo....
    BRAKE ROD.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

ricz I could do that bar modification but I would not want mess with the brakes. I would feel more comfortable with a solid bar
    peteoz The bike is in position 3 and want to lower the brake position
    I will contact Lamonster and order the #3 bar

Thank you all for your help

Spyder Garage

Have it your way, but what I did in no way compromises the integrity of the rod. The sleeve is a thick wall pipe nipple and their are 2 roll pins per side, as you can see.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

tntnj, not to do Lamonster out of the sale of a brake rod, but your quickest and cheapest solution is simply to drill a new hole in your existing #3 rod at 7/16" closer to the throat (yoke) of the front end of the rod, where the brake pedal arm connects with a pin. This will effectively drop your brake pedal 1" - 1-1/4". I do not believe it compromises or weakens the rod in any way; all the forces involved are "compressive" - i.e., pushing one end of the rod toward the other. By moving the pin (pivot) hole closer to the throat, you are effectively 'shortening the throw', thereby dropping the pedal height. Your choice. Many here have found this solution to be satisfactory. Note: If you do this, just make sure that the pedal arm has sufficient clearance so as not to bind in the yoke of the rod when you flex the brake. Don't try to get your hole too close to the throat, or you won't have proper clearance for the pedal arm to move. Shifting the hole 1/2" is a tad too far, and may require 'trimming' the pedal arm; so a little less is better, and will still drop your pedal to a more comfortable height. If you do choose to try this, you do so at your own volition and responsibility; I assume no liability for any outcome. All I can say is that others have done this, and are happily riding in more comfort and ease of braking application.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Bushrat : I already ordered a #3 bar from Lamonster . I thought about drilling a hole in the bar , but want to support small business with this thing going on in our country. 60 dollars is not that much but I better I supported him . Thank you