Thread: stebel horn

Spyder Garage

Default stebel horn

Here's a good reason to have a horn that will wake people up:

http://www.rr.com/news/news/article/..._hits_car_pool

I just received the stebel nautilus compact truck horn and tried it yesterday using my car battery; nice and loud. I'll be picking the Spyder back up today; 3,000 mile service, shock cams, dps software upgrade.

Spyder Garage

What makes you think even a horn that will deafen you would wake up an idiot like this? Most folks that do these kind of things completely tune out the rest of the world. It has also been shown that a loud startling sound like a horn mostly confuses other drivers, and makes them start looking around for the source. The time delay while they search can easily kill you. I had a drivers' ed teacher years ago who said that a good defensive driver was one who never had to use the horn or skid the brakes...and hadn't made anyone else have to. I still abide by that advice. Ride defensively, allow lots of room, and watch out for the cagers.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ... a good defensive driver was one who never had to use the horn or skid the brakes...and hadn't made anyone else have to. I still abide by that advice. Ride defensively, allow lots of room, and watch out for the cagers.
    +1
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

What makes you think even a horn that will deafen you would wake up an idiot like this? Most folks that do these kind of things completely tune out the rest of the world. It has also been shown that a loud startling sound like a horn mostly confuses other drivers, and makes them start looking around for the source. The time delay while they search can easily kill you. I had a drivers' ed teacher years ago who said that a good defensive driver was one who never had to use the horn or skid the brakes...and hadn't made anyone else have to. I still abide by that advice. Ride defensively, allow lots of room, and watch out for the cagers.

Scotty,
    Your drivers' ed teacher was and is right. My dad was a motor coach driver for 12 years before moving off the road and into the management side of the business. He racked up miles (wish he was aread to ask how many) with zero accidents. That is how he taught me and my sister and my mom how drive.

Get a louder horn if you want but Your actions behind the wheel or bars is your BEST defense.
    Very Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSpyder View Post

Scotty,
    Your drivers' ed teacher was and is right. My dad was a motor coach driver for 12 years before moving off the road and into the management side of the business. He racked up miles (wish he was aread to ask how many) with zero accidents. That is how he taught me and my sister and my mom how drive.

Get a louder horn if you want but Your actions behind the wheel or bars is your BEST defense.
    Short story-

Riding right hand lane on thruway @72 mph. Truck passes; but, for some reason about 1/2 way through is pass he stays next to me. I could so there was no one ahead of him, but there was someone ahead of me in my lane, but passed the truck. And, there was someone behind me in my lane. What seemed liked minutes was actually seconds. The truck started to pull into my lane. I had maintained my 72 mph. We had our scala's on and told my gf to hold on. As I just made it past the truck I had to quickly change lanes to avoid the car that was in the right hand lane ahead. The truck was now where I had been. You say what you want; but, the horn may have been enough to wake him up and stop his lane change. However, I do agree there is no substitute for defensive driving.

Spyder Garage

they have radio blasting a phone in one hand not useing the blinkers gust turn infrount of anyone.
    they should glue the #%@x&%# phone
    to there head so they can keep a eye out for the little people how get hurt from them bozo's.
    burns my A%# when they do that . they dont nead to texs or talk on phone while driveing ablivess to the world .
    ever hurd of hands free .....here you get $60 doller ticket for tex'sing or on phone while driving ARRRRRR !!!!!! Don
    Last edited by vt228; 08-01-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Grumpy drives for a living, so he has strong opinions on what they should do to people who text and drive, or all of the other things that they do instead of drive.

But he did have one idea, and that's that vehicles could have some kind of cell phone jammer when they are in motion.

I LOVE my

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Dialing a phone number while driving is just as bad as texting. It amazes me that some people are SO IMPORTANT that a call can't wait a few minutes until they can pull over somewhere safe and either call back or make the call.

Spyder Garage

Just ordered me a Stebel horn, hope it sounds better than the crappy factory scooter horn.

Spyder Garage

Default ditto

Quote Originally Posted by vt228 View Post
    they have radio blasting a phone in one hand not useing the blinkers gust turn infrount of anyone.
    they should glue the #%@x&%# phone
    to there head so they can keep a eye out for the little people how get hurt from them bozo's.
    burns my A%# when they do that . they dont nead to texs or talk on phone while driveing ablivess to the world .
    ever hurd of hands free .....here you get $60 doller ticket for tex'sing or on phone while driving ARRRRRR !!!!!! Don
    tell us how you really feel.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Just ordered me a Stebel horn, hope it sounds better than the crappy factory scooter horn.
    I kept the oem installed along with the stebel. I think it sounds better.

Spyder Garage

Default horn

i have the stebel horn but people that are multi tasking when driving are just oblivious to everything else, now i do answer my phone when i am in my car but i have a motorola bluetooth than when a call comes in all i have to do is say answer and i hear the call. but if i need to make a call or if i get a text i do pull over to answer or make my call
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

The horn on the wife's Ural is more attention getting than the one on "Bug". Will be making some kind a change in the future.

Thinking about adding a couple of corner reflectors so all the detector they're putting on the '14 model year cages will be sure to pick up the bikes and stop the cage while the driver pays even less attention because they have all the "safety" feature.

Ride and ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Short story-

Riding right hand lane on thruway @72 mph. Truck passes; but, for some reason about 1/2 way through is pass he stays next to me. I could so there was no one ahead of him, but there was someone ahead of me in my lane, but passed the truck. And, there was someone behind me in my lane. What seemed liked minutes was actually seconds. The truck started to pull into my lane. I had maintained my 72 mph. We had our scala's on and told my gf to hold on. As I just made it past the truck I had to quickly change lanes to avoid the car that was in the right hand lane ahead. The truck was now where I had been. You say what you want; but, the horn may have been enough to wake him up and stop his lane change. However, I do agree there is no substitute for defensive driving.
    , and also agree that there are times a loud horn can save your , no matter how defensively you have been driving, because, due to the carelessness of others, you can find yourself in a place where you have no good choices.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I kept the oem installed along with the stebel. I think it sounds better.

Which one are you saying sounds better??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Which one are you saying sounds better??
    I'm saying both together sound better than just the stebel or oem alone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    , and also agree that there are times a loud horn can save your , no matter how defensively you have been driving, because, due to the carelessness of others, you can find yourself in a place where you have no good choices.
    Sometimes this helps, and sometimes makes no difference at all. I run a very load air horn on my Harley and two years ago I had two ladies in a car gabbing and as I was passing them on a 4 lane hiway the car started to drift into my lane. A blast from the horn got the car back into their lane.
    Last month I was riding my Harley on a 4 lane hiway with my wife following me on the Spyder when a car passing me started coming into my lane and the air horn only made the driver look into his rear view mirror with a tough look. If I had not hit the brakes hard he would have taken me out.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Stebel Horn

What's the DB rating on this horn?

My 3 Tone horn is 110 DB rated

I bought an extra one if someone is interested
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~