Spyder Garage

Default And yet ANOTHER cat question

I need some suggestions. I am installing a RLS cat pipe on my 2018 RTL. After some cussing etc I managed to get the springs off. The top being the hardest of course. How do you get the top spring back on??? Almost no room under there for the spring puller, let alone not much visibility. Any help would be appreciated. Machine is up on stands and it is about 8 inches off the floor. I have sifted thru a a lot of the suggestions already posted but they seem to be mostly for the F3. Maybe that model has more clearance or visibility?? Thanks for your help.

Spyder Garage

I found the spring puller to be useless. I used a flat screwdriver to pry those hurky springs off and on.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Loop a piece of para-cord around the handle of the spring puller, long enough that you can do all your pulling from back behind the rear axle. You might need a helper to do the actual pulling while you guide the spring from below, but it isn't really too hard once you get that puller lined up properly.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use a piece of wire with a hook on the end and a loop on the other. I put a pair of needle nose vise grips in the loop and the other end of vice grips into the end of the cat delete pipe. When I squeeze the vice grips together it pulls the spring and I can hook it to the pipe. Idea came from Doc.
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Spyder Garage

I pierced the spring with a flat screwdriver and levered off a block of wood whilst guiding the hook onto the loop with another screwdriver.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Do not forget the band aids.
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Spyder Garage

Yeah, it takes King Kong to get that mutha top spring on.......

Spyder Garage

All installed and good to go. The top spring is a for real PIA. Using a coat hanger and some leverage finally got it. RLS unit fit like a glove and sounds great. I used the restrictor in the inlet. Low rumble but no "drone" on the hiway. Subtle. I could tell no difference in performance or fuel mileage after about 200 miles , but I am not much of a twister anyhow. Thanks for all the help. If they (CANAM) had rotated the clips 30 degrees it would have made the job easier. Maybe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wifesspyder View Post
    All installed and good to go. The top spring is a for real PIA. Using a coat hanger and some leverage finally got it. RLS unit fit like a glove and sounds great. I used the restrictor in the inlet. Low rumble but no "drone" on the hiway. Subtle. I could tell no difference in performance or fuel mileage after about 200 miles , but I am not much of a twister anyhow. Thanks for all the help. If they (CANAM) had rotated the clips 30 degrees it would have made the job easier. Maybe.
    Did you put the stock muffler back on? I did at first and wasn't impressed either. I bought a China-Akropovic muffler and sent it to Rick at RLS and he made an elbow pipe that the muffler springs onto($125). It sounds great to me. You can order a muffler like mine on Amazon for around $45.00. Not sure of Amazons ship time, mine from China took 3 weeks for same money.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Noise Power

YES, Welcome to the World of Noise Power.
    Louder Noise = More Noise.
    An ECU Update is the only way for the More Power Things.
    Good Luck on your Mission. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I did want to comment that other than the pesky springs, it was an easy change. I was surprised at how heavy the stock unit was/is when it came loose.

Spyder Garage

I did want to comment that other than the pesky springs, it was an easy change. I was surprised at how heavy the stock unit was/is when it came loose.
    My 10 yo great grandson installed my RLS cat delete. With my supervision.
    DSCN2717.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

IMG_20200415_152818829.jpg Sorry it took me so long to get to this. This is the "tool" I used to get the top spring on. I don't have a helper so I did this. Made out of a hangar and a $2.00 turnbuckle from Lowe's. Hooked the "hook" around the spring end, opened the turnbuckle, pulled tight and secured it to the exhaust. Then crank turn buckle until spring is in position, push spring on, loosen turnbuckle and it's DONE. No cussing, no skinned fingers or knuckles, and spring is secure.

Spyder Garage

This is what I use, works great!
    I also squeeze the opening of the spring for the side that mounts on the bike to just small enough opening that I can get it on. This way the spring doesn't keep falling off while your stretching it onto the pipe.

86803_e5867a19-9dca-46fe-b921-9fcbbb85164f_large.png
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

IMG_20200415_152818829.jpg Sorry it took me so long to get to this. This is the "tool" I used to get the top spring on. I don't have a helper so I did this. Made out of a hangar and a $2.00 turnbuckle from Lowe's. Hooked the "hook" around the spring end, opened the turnbuckle, pulled tight and secured it to the exhaust. Then crank turn buckle until spring is in position, push spring on, loosen turnbuckle and it's DONE. No cussing, no skinned fingers or knuckles, and spring is secure.
    This one needs to be put in the "Stickies" section.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

OK....Next question. In my search for "that sound" I installed a pair of RLS Crusher Mufflers. They look good and other than some bending and tweeking on the mounting brace/bracket, it went on without a hitch. GREAT sound, but just a bit too loud for me. Anybody have any luck toning it down with more baffles ???? Thanks (btw....again I was surprised at how heavy the stock muffler is. I would bet that between the muffler and cat system there is at least 50 lbs and more there)

Spyder Garage

OK....Next question. In my search for "that sound" I installed a pair of RLS Crusher Mufflers. They look good and other than some bending and tweeking on the mounting brace/bracket, it went on without a hitch. GREAT sound, but just a bit too loud for me. Anybody have any luck toning it down with more baffles ???? Thanks (btw....again I was surprised at how heavy the stock muffler is. I would bet that between the muffler and cat system there is at least 50 lbs and more there)
    I sent you a PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Chaulk White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your help