Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do you Push or Pull thru turns?

I have put about 9K miles on my 2017 RTS. Today I was riding solo on a deserted twisty road today and decided to experiment a little.

In the past I noticed that I would "Pull" thru turns....pull harder on the left side handlebar and slightly push on the right side handlebar for a left twisty, opposite for a right turn. Just for fun, I decided to concentrate on doing the opposite and "Pushing" thru the turns....pushing harder on the right handlebar and pulling slightly on the left for a left twisty, opposite for a right turn. As always, I pushed off on the floorboard opposite of the turn and leaned into the turn for balance and stability.

The results were pretty dramatic for me...much cleaner turns and felt a lot more stable...especially on those dreaded long sweeping left turns when you feel you might lose it if you don't slow down. I'm going to try to clear my muscle memory and concentrate on "Push" turning in the future.

What do y'all do?

Hank.

Spyder Garage

Do both, particularly in twisties.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have discovered the dynamics are opposite of the single-track motorcycle; where you use a “push right to go right” on the motorcycle (aka countersteer) is replaced with “push right to go left.” Further to my delight, I use my “inside” leg (ie if going in right turn brace with right thigh) to support my body (and push with left/pull with right) and it removed the soreness I kept getting in the back of my neck the day following when I was hot ridding in the twisties. Weirdly, I naturally push with left for right turns but do more pulling for left turns.

Spyder Garage

push/pull is my style also. Light touch...pretend there are eggs between your hands and the grips. Don't break them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I lead with a pull and follow with a very all so light Push to neutral follow through. Works for me with better control.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Don't really know what I do. I been riding trikes for about 35 years. Whatever it is, I do it automatically without thinking about it. I think it is a combination of both pushing and pulling. The Spyder does not take much pressure. Just a light pressure and keep it even. No jerking or over correcting. Smooth is good.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After years of chasing/herding cows on a quad I had no problems pointing my spyder where I wanted it to go. Push pull and lean. Push steady on the outside grip and make minor adjustments on the inside grip and lean into the turn but keep your head up straight. Like ARtraveler said, don't use a heavy grip on your handle bars. Push down with the outside foot an push in with the opposite knee.

Spyder Garage

Mostly just push.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Combination of push & pull especially in the twisties

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Push to Turn

Well, for me and my Spyder, I do the push into the turns. So Left hand push and turn (steer) to the right. Then Right hand push and turn (steer) to the left.
    This has been my favorite way for turning (steering).
    That's my Spyder Tip.
    Enjoy your Ryde time and always Ryde Safe. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

As a fairly new rider with just 1K miles, I appreciate these comments. I will try the different techniques to see which one gives me the best cornering control. I find that I pull on the inside grip to help draw my torso into the curve. Another method might work better.
    Again, thanks.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    As a fairly new rider with just 1K miles, I appreciate these comments. I will try the different techniques to see which one gives me the best cornering control. I find that I pull on the inside grip to help draw my torso into the curve. Another method might work better.
    Again, thanks.
    Try some of the suggestions and see what works the best for YOU. The 's are a lot of fun in the twisties. Just don't overdrive your abilities and you will have a great time. We did 120 miles of assorted twisties yesterday.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Push/pull works. In twisties I push down on the opposite peg/floorboard of the turn. Helps keep front end planted.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

I find pushing works for me. It keeps my center of gravity more centered on the bike and when the suspension compresses and you get opposite lean I am less likely to feel I am steering when I'm not, just leaning over.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    Push/pull works. In twisties I push down on the opposite peg/floorboard of the turn. Helps keep front end planted.
    Where in Santa Barbara county do you live? I'm familiar with that area. Love to dine at the Hitching Post in Buellton Best steaks ever and I have been around much of the country, especially the left coast.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    push/pull is my style also. Light touch...pretend there are eggs between your hands and the grips. Don't break them.
    Newbie here, push pull too but haven't sorted the relaxed grip yet. Definitely have broken quite a few eggs!
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Where in Santa Barbara county do you live? I'm familiar with that area. Love to dine at the Hitching Post in Buellton Best steaks ever and I have been around much of the country, especially the left coast.
    Hitching Post is the best restaurant, although we go to the original Casmalia store instead of Buellton. We rode quite a bit to Eugene when our son was in college - some of the most beautiful country in Oregon!
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Also fairly new to Spyders, only have 3,000 miles on my 2019 RTL. Just got the laser alignment which helped a lot with the twitchy feeling. I'm not sure if I've settled on a when to push vs. when to pull method yet. I try my best to relax my grip on the handlebars BUT sweet - jingling - jeepers the throttle spring is so strong it seems to fight me all the way. Any helpful hints other than using cruise control in curves?

Spyder Garage

Put a wrist rest on your throttle. It'll unwind your fingers from the grip. I can't ride without one. Most MC stores carry them. There are a few different styles. You will thank me.
    https://www.amazon.com/Crampbuster-C.../dp/B001L9KI56

Spyder Garage

Both...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WDAVEY View Post
    Also fairly new to Spyders, only have 3,000 miles on my 2019 RTL. Just got the laser alignment which helped a lot with the twitchy feeling. I'm not sure if I've settled on a when to push vs. when to pull method yet. I try my best to relax my grip on the handlebars BUT sweet - jingling - jeepers the throttle spring is so strong it seems to fight me all the way. Any helpful hints other than using cruise control in curves?
    Welcome to the Spyder party!
    Have you taken the 3-wheel course? If not, it will help you tremendously, especially in learning the balance between push and pull in curves and turns.

I use a combination of push-pull, coupled with pressing on the opposing floorboard as the sharpness of any particular turn increases.

I would avoid relying on cruise control in the curves...easiest way to find yourself going too fast when the turn sharpens beyond your cruising speed or something in your path requires quick adjustments...and get a better handle on using the throttle.

Some folks, myself included, will suggest using a sort of 'open palm' or 'loose fingers' type of grip to help relax your hands, and I personally find that the Crampbuster that RICZ links to is a huge help in this area.

Good luck in finding what works!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Rufus Thomas was teaching us the "Push and Pull" back in 60's. HA!

Spyder Garage

+1 on not using the cruise control in curves. CC is only for straighter highway schlogs. Never use it in traffic either.

Spyder Garage

Both-----
    Along with shifting weight off the seat and lowering the center of gravity ( when hot footing it through the twistys) Extra pressure on the outside foot too.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

+1 on not using the cruise control in curves. CC is only for straighter highway schlogs. Never use it in traffic either.
    Why not use Cruise control thru curves?? Yeah, you can probably corner faster & do your braking, late apex-ing, and all that other stuff if you're controlling everything, but if you're just tooling along on cruise & a corner comes up that looks like you won't really need to do any of that, why not carry on & let it?

It's not a biggie really, if you touch the brake to slow for the curve, you've killed cruise anyway; but if you don't touch the brake & simply carry on, you'll be able to concentrate on proper positioning & steering your ryde safely thru the curve without worrying about all that other stuff - you could even do it all with your foot poised over the brake if you feel the need; but either way, the Nanny is there to step in PDQ if you're going too fast for the corner or miscue the steering input you dial in &/or you touch the brake!

Cruise control is a very useful and vastly under-uitilised tool that might even help improve your ryding skills (in some areas ) if you'd only let it do its thing, secure in the knowledge that the Nanny won't really let you do anything that would upset the Spyder responding appropriately to the control inputs that you still hafta dial in. Even in traffic, if it's all moving along steadily enough to set a speed, using cruise control can be helpful - after all, if you can concentrate on steering & braking without worrying about speed control, you are probably exposing yourself to LESS risk than if you add another area of control & concentration to your work load - and besides, cruise is disabled immediately if you hit the brakes & the Nanny will also kick in to intervene & turn it off if you make a sudden hard steering input. She's good that way! She can't fix stupid tho, so don't try steering into the oncoming traffic, even if you aren't on cruise!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-03-2020 at 07:04 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!