Thread: TEMP BARS

Spyder Garage

Default TEMP BARS

it's about 90 hot and humid what is normal for temp bars i'm going from 4-5
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Temps in the 90s would be a nice cold front for us in South Texas as we approach a record number of 100+ degree days (39 or so to date) and it's only the end of July

For my Spyder in the 90s typical highway temp is 4 bars. Stop at a light and it will hit 5 real quick, but will usually go back down once you get it back up to 40MPH and keep it there for a minute.

If you stop at a long light you can easily see 6 bars, but again, usually goes back to 4 once you get moving.
    San Antonio, TX - 2014 RT-S Yellow (of course). Added BRP driver backrest to stock seat. Need to solve Blutooth and iPhone 5S integration problems next.

Former owner of a yellow 2008 Spyder, Cal Sci windshield, Crampbusters, KewlMetal mirror extensions, NoMagicNeon 4" risers, Corbin Seats and dual backrests. Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

depending on speed, that's probably 'bout right. In 100+ (but it's a "dryheat" hee, hee) I fluctuate between 3-4 at 75mph, 4 moving around town, and up to 5 while sitting at a stop light, or in stop'n go crawling. Only hit six once, and that was while I had to sit through two or three changes to get through a busy intersection at rush hour. Humidity shouldn't make much difference... except to the rider.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Temps here are only high 60's/ low 70's and I'm normally running 4-5 bars in city traffic. Usually goes down to 3 on the highway.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exactly as trm17118 described. In Florida here, and we're in the 90s as well. One nice thing is when the gauge gets to the 5 bar mark (rarely 6) it always goes in the right direction after you start moving.

Spyder Garage

Any body know what temperature each bar references? Is 5 bars like 180 degrees?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Maybe I've got a problem.

I live in SoCal and I ride mostly cruising the streets. It's rare that it gets over 85 but I frequently have 5-6 bars. I never really thought about it until reading posts here. Do you think I need to be concerned? I am in a lot of stop and go traffic but pretty low ambient temperatures.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HBCruiser View Post
    I live in SoCal and I ride mostly cruising the streets. It's rare that it gets over 85 but I frequently have 5-6 bars. I never really thought about it until reading posts here. Do you think I need to be concerned? I am in a lot of stop and go traffic but pretty low ambient temperatures.
    I live just south of you. You should be ok at 4-5 bars in city traffic and a rare 6 bars which can be reduced adding the watter wetter. 3 bars while at hwy speeds

Spyder Garage

ON my trip to Yellowstone, pulling my trailer, etc.... I cruised with 3 bars most time, found 4 bars when temperature climed into the high 80's and middle of day, or humidity rose over 60%.

I was surprised, but my Spyder runs 3-4 bars at cruise, never at 5-6. I don't even think I have heard the fan but a few times......

Using "summer blend" oil this last oil change, have 4500 miles on this oil change.
    SE5 Moon (delivered Aug'08), Cal-Sci windshield, Zumo 550, tank bag, backrest & luggage rack, kurykan Iso grips, and SwingWing pegs, NM's 4" risers, Russell Day Long Seat, Buschtec hitch, Alumna MCT trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longlegs View Post
    1 = 153
    2 = 171
    3 = 183
    4 = 207
    5 = 223
    6 = 230
    7 = 237

Spyder Garage

When it's cool and nice and dry out I start with 3 bars riding and end up at 4. If I'm in traffic or lots of long lights it will go to 5 but then down back to 4 once I start moving again.

On hot and humid days, normally 4 bars as well but it quickly goes to 5 at any stoplight. never had it at 6.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longlegs View Post
    You do not normally want any modern engine to run below 180 degrees. I'll guarantee you that the EPA doesn't, either. These lean burn engines need heat to make horsepower, or even run at all. They also run cleaner that way. Thermostat on Spyder opens at three bars, which is 180 or higher. It will tend to run rough until that temp is reached.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You do not normally want any modern engine to run below 180 degrees. I'll guarantee you that the EPA doesn't, either. These lean burn engines need heat to make horsepower, or even run at all. They also run cleaner that way. Thermostat on Spyder opens at three bars, which is 180 or higher. It will tend to run rough until that temp is reached.
    You'd think a modern, fuel injected, computer controlled engine could compensate for below operating temps (cold engine). They do on many other vehicles.

Most engines are designed to operate most efficiently at coolant temps around 195 degrees. A few degrees difference in coolant temperature is a whole lot of degrees difference in the top end components/combustion chamber.

Personally, I don't like bars or nebulous gauges in general. I like numbers.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have only owned air cooled bikes until now. Never knew what the engine temp was and didn't worry about it unless stalled in traffic and just shut it off until moving again. Do other water cooled bikes have a temperature display or just an idiot light when overheated?