Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    Bone Crusher; I think a little mild backfiring and spitting is normal for any performance pipe. Mine will do that after I have been running at 5-6K rpm's for a period of time and then back-off the throttle. It isn't a violent backfire but series or rumbles and small backfires; actually I like the way it sounds. I also have the JB and the set-up is the one Lamont was using that came from NMN. Every Motorcycle I have owned that had performance exhaust installed would do this to some degree. If mine was leaking I would use some type of high quality muffler sealer, a copper silicone type would be a good choice. IMHO!
    Ever since putting the 02 Modifier on I have not had any backfireing or spitting, before this mod I would get it all the time. For what its worth....
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by patriotjason View Post
    Has anyone just tried using a standard Heavy Duty U-bolt similar to what is on Diesel Exhaust systems and just squeeze that sucker together so no gaps are left over. The clamp that came with the Spyder seems a little weak and not capable to reach high torque/squeezing properties.

I will get one and see what happens when I get a chance.
    I broke the first clamp, installed another with the copper rtv in the joint, holding pretty well.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Default Wow, I'm not the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by CRUCIFIED View Post
    Just received the Brand new Hindle via Fed Ex. Just finished the install and as expected it leaks at the joint. (I expected that one_

Now for the 2nd problem. This new pipe, the CAN LEAKS AT THE SEAM (on the housing itself)just like the old one!!! The difference is there are NO LOOSE RIVETS.
    IDK.....getting really frustrated

My only hope is that the breaking in process (15 minute idle & cool) some how "sets" the internal gaskets. If this is the case, that would explain some of the leak issues are/were related to a proper break in period.

Who knows........grrr... I will update later.

Here is a picture of where it leaks...anyone else have this? This makes two for me. You may want to check it out, I didnt notice it on my used one for a month but this time I was looking for it.

So....I'm not the only one. Mine started leaking there about two weeks ago. On the topside of the exhaust. Turning that part of the exhaust black and I have what looks like fiberglass hair blowing out of it as well.
    Last edited by COOLMACHINE; 03-14-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I have owned two. One used one new. Both had/have the same issue with a leak at the seam. In a matter of time it gets worse along with most rivets loosening up...at least that has been my experience.

"My old self has been crucified with Christ.It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Spyder Garage

Wink

So I learned something thanks to my dealer... Hindle is considering on adding Silicon Sealer to their kit when new. They claim the #1 call when installing these new is the leaking at the point of contact with the header.

I used the Orange sealer and it worked great! no more leaks and down the Road we go...

I figure from all the feedback so far that someone is going to have to come out with a single can solution that can handle the Rotax long term. Because as I see it right now, two - three years is the most life we will ever get out of these cans (Assuming 8k-12- a year ish in miles). Otherwise I will just replace the exhaust every few years like we did on the Off Road vehicles...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.