Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Working License/Tail Light

I saw this Mod on another thread, and decided to do one too, it's easy, Got the tail light from Wal-mart 5.95 + Tax, it's multi-function ie: Tail/brake and stop. I only set it up for Tail. I have pics of the set up. I had to cut out the bottom of the new lens to insert the clear lens for the license plate light to shine thru. I used the clear lens from to old relector housing and cut it to size, make sure you over lap so you can super glue the pieces together. I used the existing wires from the license plate light. Had to drill four small holes for the new lens bracket. Everthing went together pretty fast and easy, works great. I used some clear silicon around the edges to keep water out (just added safety)
    Last edited by mcguire1511; 07-26-2009 at 11:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default More Pics of Working tail light

Here are some more pic's of My license plate/working tail light. Also some added pic's of the Spyder. The spyders you see are refective also, they are Balck during the day and when light shine on them the reflect.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcguire1511 View Post
    I saw this Mod on another threat, and decided to do one too, it's easy, Got the tail light from Wal-mart 5.95 + Tax, it's multi-function ie: Tail/brake and stop. I only set it up for Tail. I have pics of the set up. I had to cut out the bottom of the new lens to insert the clear lens for the license plate light to shine thru. I used the clear lens from to old relector housing and cut it to size, make sure you over lap so you can super glue the pieces together. I used the existing wires from the license plate light. Had to drill four small holes for the new lens bracket. Everthing went together pretty fast and easy, works great. I used some clear silicon around the edges to keep water out (just added safety)
    Looks good!
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

cool... where did you get your decals.

Spyder Garage

looking good
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS

Spyder Garage

pretty cool!!!!
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

Default Decals

Quote Originally Posted by MRFIRE View Post
    cool... where did you get your decals.
    Hello, I got the refective Spider decals at:www.reflectivedecals.com, and the other decals work was gone at a local sign shop here in town.

Spyder Garage

Default Like to see some Pic's

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    That was the first thing I changed when I got my Spyder, it's a tail/brake/license plate. Light is clear cover with red led's and white for plate, also added two more rear led lights.
    If you have some pic's, would like to see them

Spyder Garage

Nice job on the rear light.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Great job!! Looks nice!!
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not a fan of Walmart, but they are the only store with the light. It fits perfectly. I did not have to drill any mounting holes in the fender since I drilled two in the mounting plate of the light and used the same holes that mounted the original. I also used a spare piece of clear plastic for the bottom of the lens for the plate illumination so my original light assembly is still intact. It looks like original equipment and adds a nice visual light pattern from the back. This is clearly not a NMN set up, but it does add a little extra light to the rear, which BRP should have done in place of the silly reflector. There is not as much light on the plate with the 5 watt filament hooked up as the stock 10 watt light, but I doubt any police officer would notice. I tried to use the high filament wire, but at 21 watts, it looked too bright next to the 5 watt tailights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is my new plate light, it's a running/brake/plate light set-up. It is all led's as you can see it is a clear lens with red led's and there are white one at the bottom for the plate, this photo does not do it justice it is very bright and shows up great.
    Last edited by burg650; 07-28-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default lights

I thought the back of my spyder did not have enough lights in the back so I saw some LED lights on a 15'' strip so I got them and put them on the spyder and here is some pics .It helps to give light on the sides too !
    Last edited by boatcruzin; 07-28-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 15" LED strips

Looks good, where did you hooked them up too?? Where did you get them from??
    Quote Originally Posted by boatcruzin View Post
    I thought the back of my spyder did not have enough lights in the back so I saw some LED lights on a 15'' strip so I got them and put them on the spyder and here is some pics .It helps to give light on the sides too !

Spyder Garage

Default Back side lights?

Just wandering if you can tell me more about those back side lights, they look good, where did you find them?, and what did you hook them up too??..............Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    Here is my new plate light, it's a running/brake/plate light set-up. It is all led's as you can see it is a clear lens with red led's and there are white one at the bottom for the plate, this photo does not do it justice it is very bright and shows up great.

Spyder Garage

Default Back lights

I got the lights from WALMART and hooked them to my tail lights . They cost $14.98 EA. Sorry It took me so long to get back but my step son was found in his bed 0n the 20th dead and it's not been good around here , He was only 28 !

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers sent out to you and your family for comfort and strength in coping with this.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry For your Loss

Hello,just wanted to say thanks for the info, and also sorry for your loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by boatcruzin View Post
    I got the lights from WALMART and hooked them to my tail lights . They cost $14.98 EA. Sorry It took me so long to get back but my step son was found in his bed 0n the 20th dead and it's not been good around here , He was only 28 !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers sent out to you and your family for comfort and strength in coping with this.

Us too...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Check this thread... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rear+reflector

Check page two on this link.

Also I make the brackets for free, if you reimburse me for the LED for the License Plate, I'll include it, and postage I'll send you the LED and bracket. The LED is a 29 milliamp 3 rated at 400 milliwatt and is just right for the license plate. Estimated life span is 50000 hours according to the distributor. And you can get the dual circuit pucks from magic man. He has the Genesis pucks and they are the best I have seen to date and I've been researching the LEDs for GWs and Spyders for a couple years now.

Oh almost forgot the LED cost me 2.99 and I would imagine the postage would be about a dollar. You would have to contact magic man for the price on his LED pucks. If you don't want the LED just cover the postage for mailing the bracket. If you're a disabled VET like me tell me and I'll send you one for nothing if you wish.
    Last edited by krb1945; 07-30-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Working License/Tail/Brake Light

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    Not a fan of Walmart, but they are the only store with the light. It fits perfectly. I did not have to drill any mounting holes in the fender since I drilled two in the mounting plate of the light and used the same holes that mounted the original. I also used a spare piece of clear plastic for the bottom of the lens for the plate illumination so my original light assembly is still intact. It looks like original equipment and adds a nice visual light pattern from the back. This is clearly not a NMN set up, but it does add a little extra light to the rear, which BRP should have done in place of the silly reflector. There is not as much light on the plate with the 5 watt filament hooked up as the stock 10 watt light, but I doubt any police officer would notice. I tried to use the high filament wire, but at 21 watts, it looked too bright next to the 5 watt tailights.
    Went back to the tail light mod and decided to test the theory that nanny doesn't monitor added loads on brake light. Ran a wire from the white brake light wire down to the dual filament tail/brake light and connected it to the 21 watt lead on the bulb. The 5 watt lead was already connected to the license plate wire. The result, a working 5 watt tail/ 21 watt brake light. These are identical to the stock tail/brake watts so it looks good from the back as all are the same intensity. Tested on 10 mile ride with over 50 brake applications to see if nanny would act up. Not a conclusive test ride, but seems to confirm that adding load (at least 21 watts) to the brake light system doesn't upset nanny. Upside might be that with three lights on that circuit, even if two burn out which would normally trigger nanny, the remaining load should fool it until I can get some place safe to change out bulbs. Since the tail/brake/license circuit is a 10 amp fuse, the 16 watts of load should not overload the circuit (original license bulb was 10 watts, so 5/21 dual nets to 16). Clearly this is not Magic Man LEDs with their visibility, quality and durability, but it does add some needed light to the rear for $5.95 and a couple hours labor.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    Went back to the tail light mod and decided to test the theory that nanny doesn't monitor added loads on brake light. Ran a wire from the white brake light wire down to the dual filament tail/brake light and connected it to the 21 watt lead on the bulb. The 5 watt lead was already connected to the license plate wire. The result, a working 5 watt tail/ 21 watt brake light. These are identical to the stock tail/brake watts so it looks good from the back as all are the same intensity. Tested on 10 mile ride with over 50 brake applications to see if nanny would act up. Not a conclusive test ride, but seems to confirm that adding load (at least 21 watts) to the brake light system doesn't upset nanny. Upside might be that with three lights on that circuit, even if two burn out which would normally trigger nanny, the remaining load should fool it until I can get some place safe to change out bulbs. Since the tail/brake/license circuit is a 10 amp fuse, the 16 watts of load should not overload the circuit (original license bulb was 10 watts, so 5/21 dual nets to 16). Clearly this is not Magic Man LEDs with their visibility, quality and durability, but it does add some needed light to the rear for $5.95 and a couple hours labor.
    Found the card with the tail light mod photos, so I figure I'll post them. 1st shot is with 5 watt running lights and 2nd is with 21 watt brake lights. Cheap way to add some rear visibility and it looks clean.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcguire1511 View Post
    I saw this Mod on another thread, and decided to do one too, it's easy, Got the tail light from Wal-mart 5.95 + Tax, it's multi-function ie: Tail/brake and stop. I only set it up for Tail. I have pics of the set up. I had to cut out the bottom of the new lens to insert the clear lens for the license plate light to shine thru. I used the clear lens from to old relector housing and cut it to size, make sure you over lap so you can super glue the pieces together. I used the existing wires from the license plate light. Had to drill four small holes for the new lens bracket. Everthing went together pretty fast and easy, works great. I used some clear silicon around the edges to keep water out (just added safety)

I did this MOD over the week end and it's easy. I too got the tail light from Wal-mart 5.95 + Tax, it's multi-function ie: Tail/brake and stop. I only set it up for Tail and it looks just like your pictures.

Thank you for sharing, I love having three lights in the back of the .

Don

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stombaugh View Post
    I did this MOD over the week end and it's easy. I too got the tail light from Wal-mart 5.95 + Tax, it's multi-function ie: Tail/brake and stop. I only set it up for Tail and it looks just like your pictures.

Thank you for sharing, I love having three lights in the back of the .

Don

Has anyone else tried this mod? I love having three lights in the back.

Don

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stombaugh View Post
    Has anyone else tried this mod? I love having three lights in the back.
    Don
    I did this mod right away when this was first posted and I believe many of us have done this or a similar mod. Its an easy and cheap one to do.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires