Spyder Garage

Default Covering holes in the trunk lid

Ok, so my 2014 came with a chrome rack on the trunk. I'm not fond of it and probably won't use it, so last week I removed it. Now what do I do about the holes in the lid? At the moment I've got some rubber things just stuck over them, but it's not pretty. I'm thinking I could get the rack powdercoated black and put it back on, but that's only if I can't find anything else.

Any ideas?
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy a new lid? Put chrome plugs in the holes? Could ho on but not sure how much money or time you want to invest in it.

Spyder Garage

I used to use body clips (push fasteners) on the tour-pak of my Harley when I took the rack off. They are cheap, look good and easy to remove if you want to use the rack again. Auto parts and accessories shop or smash repairer.will have something that will fit.
    2014 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Are you trying to match the Cognac color?

Sometimes the hardware stores have small plastic plugs that push in. Others mentioned them. If the color works that is an inexpensive possibility.

As a second idea, our local Ace stocks what they call Black Chrome screws. Those might offer an easy solution also with minimal effort.

Spyder Garage

Maybe wrapmyspyder.com can help, canamspyderaccessories.com has a flag that fits on the trunk.

Spyder Garage

A new Central Cover. Model-Cognac, PN70830109, is $229.99; depends on whether you want to find some filler plugs for the holes or replace the cover. Cheap Cycle Parts doesn't seem to carry that part.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Back about 5 yrs. ago, my OEM antennae broke …. I bought and installed a Bosche retractable auto antennae ( I now have Excellent reception ) … because of the size of this unit, I had to move the hole a few inches and it ended up exiting about 1" from the rear of the passenger arm cushion ( but no passengers arm would ever go that far back so it didn't interfere ) …. To your specific problem, I didn't know you could get a cover for the hole from BRP , so I just did the Bondo method …. The hole dis-appeared and I color matched my white pearl color...… I see you have a " Cognac " RT …. I found a VHT paint that matched ( SP 402 ??? )…. I used that on Deanna777 - Cognac RT and it came out perfect. …. I don't know how many holes you are doing - so buying a new cover might be a better idea, ….good luck …. If you decide to fill and paint PM me and I'll tell the necessary steps to get a perfect match ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Lamonster Garage (see Spyder Garage tab), has the racks for around $120 in Chrome or Black. He might also have some plugs.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just buy a black rack that fits the same holes.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

I can get the rack powder coated black for free, I just don't feel I need it or particularly want it.

Replacing the lid would be a pain as I have a PO installed third brake light that appears to be glued or some such to the lid. No screws visible on the inside so I have to assume that's how it's held on.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

It's a strong self adhesive. You would need a hair dryer to get it off.

Spyder Garage

I would go to Fastenal and see what you can find for plugs. Or get body molding plastic pop rivets. The rivets would probably look like they belonged there as anything else might look like an add on.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davehirst View Post
    Just buy a black rack that fits the same holes.
    or find someone that will trade

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I would put the rack back on as its great for strapping down a couple of folding chairs when you go to an outdoor concert during the summer. It's also nice to strap down a travel bag when you go on a long weekend trip. It really comes in handy. I mount my flags to the rack as well.DSC02076.jpg

Ron
    2016 RT Limited , stock yes red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Replacing the lid would be a pain as I have a PO installed third brake light that appears to be glued or some such to the lid. No screws visible on the inside so I have to assume that's how it's held on.
    It's probably held on with something like 3M Adhesive Trim Tape; can be gotten off but might be a real pita to do so. Suggest you look for plugs like others have suggested.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    Maybe wrapmyspyder.com can help, canamspyderaccessories.com has a flag that fits on the trunk.
    I just put some decals from wrapmyspyder on my f3. They look really nice and easy to put on.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

The tryke came with flags/holders as well and I removed those too. I spent the weekend working on my truck, so maybe I'll get to this next week.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Find somebody with a trunk the same color and trade them the trunk and rack for one without the holes in it. The Internet is a big place. Somebody with one the same color is saving up to buy a rack right now.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are into Football, baseball or other sports or if you like a particular cartoon character or if you like a Star Wars or Marvel character then get some pins or emblems and use them to cover the holes. Even Military emblems works.

Or you could do this.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red