Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2017 Spyder RT - Acoustic panel

I did my first panel removal this week and noticed I don't have the Acoustic panels I've seen on every video so far.
    Shouldn't these be on the 2017 RT LTD? Or just certain models and/or years have them?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-28-2019 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Title - Accustic/Acoustic
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which ones are you referring too?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Which ones are you referring too?
    This if from 2014 RT LTD YouTube vid, please see the arrow:

Acoustic panel.jpg
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Spyder Garage

It would be good to see a photo of your Spyder to verify if it has braces vs acoustic panels.

The acoustic panel serves as a support on the left and right sides, for the upper console. When Can Am released the air scoops for the 2013 models, the acoustic panels were removed and new braces were installed.

I am uncertain, but possibly this is a design change for later years?

Spyder Garage

Here is the pic from the left side The Glovebox and Switch panel are removed. L-side Glovebox&SwitchPanel off.jpg.

Spyder Garage

it looks like it has the braces instead of the panels. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sure does you are missing the left side black plastic acoustic panel.

Dont recall foam on those panel. Maybe some changes since the earlier models?

Do you have one on the right side?

Found them

LH Acoustic Shell Foam
    $25.99 USD
    Available

RH Acoustic Shell Foam
    $14.99 USD
    Avai

RH Acoustic Shell Foam
    $25.99 USD
    Available

LH Acoustic Shell Foam
    $15.49 USD

Spyder Garage

Thank you, here is the right side:R-side Glovebox&SwitchPanel off.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know mine has black plastic panel in those spots that are screwed in. But I have a 14 RT.

Just rechecked the parts list and it does show the missing panels that you are referring too. Part number posted #7

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by INfox View Post
    Yep you got it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So now the thousand dollar question. What happened to yours?

Spyder Garage

Acoustic panels do have self adhesive white poly foam adhered to the inside surfaces.

I believe the non acoustic panel braces are in those photos. About 1 1/2” wide and positioned vertically. Our 14 RTS has acoustic panels, but no braces. They are part of the panel.

This was a concern as people wanted the scoops installed. Correctly done, the acoustic panels were removed. Seems many people ordered and got scoops, but not the complete service bulletin kit. Retaining the acoustic panels with the scoops does add airflow, but not as BRP intended. Omitting the acoustic panels and not installing the braces, lets the upper console remain without support bracing.

Spyder Garage

I would like to know that too.

Would this Acoustic panel deaden the transmission noise if it would be there? I have tinnitus in the right ear and if I don't have helmet with music on, I hear a winy/squeaky noise coming from the right side somewhere where the transmission is.

Spyder Garage

I would like to know that too.

Would this Acoustic panel deaden the transmission noise if it would be there? I have tinnitus in the right ear and if I don't have helmet with music on, I hear a winy/squeaky noise coming from the right side somewhere where the transmission is.
    Not sure. I replaced the failed foam on ours. It turned to a gooey mess. Relined the acoustic panels with aircraft soundproofing. No photos on this IPad, but may have posted them here while back.

Spyder Garage

Does your Spyder have the Air Scoops installed? I put them on my 2015 RT-S, used the metal braces and left the acoustic panels off. It runs cool and can keep chocolate candy bars in the glove box now and don't feel heat on the sides by where knees touch. I'm very hard of hearing and with helmet on can't hear engine anyway. Management has authorized RLS Cat-Delete muffler so that I'll hopefully be able to hear the engine sufficiently to tell what freekin gear it's in.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

No I don’t Revalden, this is the first time I hear about them. I checked the web, but can’t find which year RT are they for. I would love to have colder Glovebox and no hot center where my knees touch. Thank you, it is definitely on my list now.
    Was it easy to install? I read on Amazon, that no instructions came with.

Spyder Garage

INfox, the Air Scoops were part of the Heat Recall issued for 2013 RT Spyders; removing & replacing the acoustic panels with those stays shown in your pic were another part.

The 2013 RT's were originally designed to be fitted with the new 'shorter but wider' 1330 Ace motor, but delays in motor delivery meant that the 2013 RT's ended up hitting the streets with the existing longer but narrower 998 V-Twin motor jammed into the hole that had been redesigned for a completely different motor/trans assy, creating air flow issues under the tupperware that don't really occur to anywhere near the same extent in later models....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much Peter. I was going to get them, but checking this forum further I found out, I would have to cut into the tupperware, and I do not want to do that. I would still like to get the aluminum insulations as the center gets pretty warm within 15-20 minutes after start my rides in the hot summer. I also don't like the Glovebox being so hot and the idea of getting the Air Scoops looked so good.

Spyder Garage

No I don’t Revalden, this is the first time I hear about them. I checked the web, but can’t find which year RT are they for. I would love to have colder Glovebox and no hot center where my knees touch. Thank you, it is definitely on my list now.
    Was it easy to install? I read on Amazon, that no instructions came with.
    You can order from Amazon, and you can ask your Spyder dealer for the instructions. Assemble the parts to get a feel for how they'll fit on Spyder. Remove the panel that it installs on and see how you'll need to fit the assembly. You'll have to drill screw holes but you don't need to cut the big hole, just remove the original plastic screen. That's what I did and it works fine. I ride in shorts in the high heat of Oklahoma summers and don't feel the heat of engine on my knees, just when a side has been on the sunny side when parked and it goes away fast once you start riding. I do get sunburn on my knees/legs though.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I seem to recall this question was discussed quite awhile back ….. the outcome was the newer RT's didn't have them …. you could check CHEAPCYCLEPARTS.com, they have a feature - when looking for specific parts, they will tell you every Spyder that has that part ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike, I already verified (post #10), it looks like they should be on my bike.

Spyder Garage

double posted

Spyder Garage

You present an interesting situation. Since you are merely doing parts research, using the BRP online parts catalog seems superior in quality to view.

As you noted, the 2017 does indicate foam. Not exactly certain I noticed what I would deem the large plastic acoustic panel. I did take look at the 2018 parts catalog. In that the foam is omitted, they still show what looks like an acoustic panel, but call it something else.

If you take a look at the 2019 it clearly shows the support.

As a hunch, after seeing your Spyder having the support braces, and no panels, I suspect, the parts book may be in error. Unless you believe at some point someone removed the acoustic panels and replaced them with braces.

Regardless, I hope you sort it out and post back your results.

Spyder Garage

PMK, You have a good point.

I originally hoped, someone with 2017 RT LTD will know if they have the Acoustic panel or not. My main reason was the whining/hissing noise I keep hearing if not wearing a helmet with music on. I am sensitive to high pitch noises due to the tinnitus though. Some people report hearing this noise too, so I am just wondering.

This is my first time I took off the Tupperware, therefore I have no clue if it was there or if it should be there when I bought my bike. I tried to contact BRP, but their web has error.
    BRP contact.jpg
    I’ll call them in January, I won’t be hopefully too long on a hold.