Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Marketing failure

I've been following the advance marketing info/hype over the 2020 RT models and feel that BRP has made an epic marketing failure. They've been riding and demonstrating the 4 prototype RT's all over the country showing them to dealers unannounced. But why wouldn't they let the dealers know in advance when they would be there so the dealers could also let interested buyers be there. BRP is dangling incentives like an extra years' warranty, etc. for pre-orders. I and I'm sure others, might have put deposits down if there had been a chance to see the machine in person to evaluate the changes and the colors.

We decided to visit our local dealer yesterday to see if there were any holiday deals on riding gear. In talking to the salesman, he said the the #2 prototype (the blue one) showed up at their door a week and a half ago, 30 minutes before they opened. The BRP rep demonstrated the bike, let them ride it, and left after about an hour. We discussed the marketing failure aspect of their visit. Not only did customers not get to see it and potentially put down a deposit, but the dealer missed an opportunity to sell leftover 2019 stock if those potential customers did not like the new model.

At last years Maggie Valley rally, the sponsoring dealer had the first Ryker before they were available for sale. There was so much interest in it, that they had to hold a lottery to be able to ride it, and even then, it was only around the fairgrounds, not on the road. That dealer has since closed, (family decision), but at their going out of business sale, they told us that having that Ryker in advance brought in many orders.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with everything that you said. Whenever the yamaha truck is coming to town, it is announced at my local dealership in advance. That way potential buyers have a chance to see the actual bike, and not just read about it. They also get to talk to representatives from the manufacturer who are (or supposed to be) more knowledgeable. And yes, I was in Maggie Valley that year and the Ryker did get a lot of attention. Probably made an impression on enough people that they did go out and place orders.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I also agree that BRP is not very adept at a great deal of things. They not only don't promote their Spyder line well, they are good at establishing a real lack of trust in their dealerships. They don't run a very tight ship as to quality of support. These kind of issues leave a lot of bad tastes in mouths and harm brand loyalty (and word of mouth). The Spyder is a great product... it just needs better promo/support behind it ... or at its price-point, it will falter and fail... in my humble opinion.

Spyder Garage

Sometimes we all wonder about it.

I was hot to trot on the new 2020 RT in blue. Did not want to wait another couple months. Took the rebate and got a great trade-in price on a 2019 F3. And...saved about $3K in the process on the 2020.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    I also agree that BRP is not very adept at a great deal of things. They not only don't promote their Spyder line well, they are good at establishing a real lack of trust in their dealerships. They don't run a very tight ship as to quality of support. These kind of issues leave a lot of bad tastes in mouths and harm brand loyalty (and word of mouth). The Spyder is a great product... it just needs better promo/support behind it ... or at its price-point, it will falter and fail... in my humble opinion.
    you could say these exact words about victory, they are gone now.
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Gotta believe that if any of the Japanese manufactures jumped into the Spyder vehicle concept, BRP would be doing a whole lot of advertising...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

All very good comments and observations. As an ex Victory owner, I can attest to Bayoubill's post. If I was in charge of marketing for a vehicle, or any product for that matter, I would look at what the top seller is doing and imitate that. Maybe BRP feels they are in a field by themselves and don't need to promote like Honda and Yamaha do. Hell, I see more on my Facebook from CSC Motorcycles than I do BRP. That's wrong.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Maybe BRP feels they are in a field by themselves and don't need to promote like Honda and Yamaha do.
    I would say that's not the case because they don't market their other product lines (sleds, watercraft, ATV's) very well either. I think they are just bad at marketing......have been for years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I would say that's not the case because they don't market their other product lines (sleds, watercraft, ATV's) very well either. I think they are just bad at marketing......have been for years.
    I believe that BRP expects the product to market itself. And, to an extent, that can happen. But it also goes both ways. A product, left inadequately promoted and supported, can also UN-Market itself.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have to agree here. I attended the Ryker event, which for a while didn't even seem to be findable on their site or by calling BRP (I had needed to change times, and the links had all failed). They got mad if I even tried to ride it at a normal speed, so there was no way to test it out in any meaningful way, and the one dealer they had was marking it up $3K over sticker.

They had free food, and a nice display with great tech, but it didn't help me when I couldn't really test the ride out.

I'm thinking about a new RT, but I need to do a real test ride first. They have to get a new marketing department or agency, and be smarter with their marketing budget. I can't see that it would be that expensive to really stand behind their products consistently (they often do, but not always) and build the loyalty they need. Every Spyder they sell is the chance to sell two or three more over the next 15 years to that customer, plus who knows how many others on referrals.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

To MRH re the Ryker event -- I don't know how much the individual events depended upon the dealer hosting them, but the Ryker event at my dealer in Boerne (Coyote Powersports) was certainly sufficient for me to experience the Ryker at appropriate speeds, etc. I was actually surprised at how lengthy the test ride was and that we were able to open it up several times along the way.

Which points to my more general point about marketing in this context: I've never owned a motor vehicle dealership, but I spent a decent chunk of my professional life consulting with enterprises that relied upon dealer/VAR channels, and that channel makes or breaks the customer experience. Good channel partners can overcome a lot of corporate idiocy and product issues; bad channel partners can't figure out how to give away free steak at a carnivore convention.

Based upon the drumbeat of complaints on here about dealer issues, and not to ignore some of the perplexing corporate behavior noted earlier in this thread, I think I'd wonder about strengthening that channel over just bringing in a new creative/marketing firm.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Gotta believe that if any of the Japanese manufactures jumped into the Spyder vehicle concept, BRP would be doing a whole lot of advertising...
    I'd love to see Honda develop a Spyder type vehicle with a GL1800 drive train, flat 6, DCT trans and shaft drive - I'd be one of the first standing in line to buy one (but I'm afraid it just ain't gonna happen )
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    I'd love to see Honda develop a Spyder type vehicle with a GL1800 drive train, flat 6, DCT trans and shaft drive - I'd be one of the first standing in line to buy one (but I'm afraid it just ain't gonna happen )
    They did show a prototype of the Neowing at the Tokyo Auto Show in 2015 but there is nothing on the Honda website about it now.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just another BRP bash. On 'SpyderLovers.com' no less.

Go figure...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post

From Hannigan

5623526e-0340-48ff-84e9-50680051a4bd.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I like that it has a front bumper. Wishing for one on my F3L.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Good lord!!! There’s a lot of marketing experts on here.
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

I agree with all of the comments about how BRP does their marketing.. I feel another major problem/issue is with their dealer network.. Until BRP gets serious about who their dealers are AND makes them toe the line on their products, etc. they will continue to flounder with the products!!! we have a local BRP dealer that has ZERO Spyder gear for sale and when I see one of his display ads it never has a Spyder in the ad. Just all of the other bike brands, side by sides, etc. that they sell. so sad..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

BRP doesn't sell millions of these machines and maybe they don't have the marketing budget to promote their product as much as everyone would like. Also, is the market for these reverse trykes really THAT big? I don't think so.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I don't think its a "bashing." It is a good discussion that comes up from time to time. It is interesting to note the overall feelings expressed by many.

Not excited about the marketing dept and some of the things they do. Not excited about the dealership network. However, we continue to buy the product, because there is nothing else quite like it.

I am now on number six since they came out in 2008. Had the first one sold to a customer in Alaska. Have been with the product ever since.

PS. I used to teach a marketing class in college.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    As well as accountants, lawyers, and professors oh my.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here is an example of some good marketing--IMO. From another current thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXO...qYdrnBuktj%3A6

It's about the Turbo Rotax 900.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are we really surprised ?

Spyder Garage

To answer the OP first post. I would agree if these were production units.
    Since these are prototypes I believe BRP doesn't want any potential buyers driving them as I am sure there are issues with them that they plan to fix before release.
    If this is the case than it makes sense not to inform the dealer about the arrival time so that the dealer doesn't tell their customers who will come expecting to ride it.
    They did have a ride with 4 customers, but I assume they were informed about any issues and the plan to fix them.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue