Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone tried Different Batteries, like a NOCO 600A Lithium? How is it working?

2023 Spyder RTL, 3rd new battery within a year. The cheap China battery didn't make it at prep during purchase. Interstate battery (300CCA) was put in by dealer, as they told me that they didn't have a YUASA battery in stock. Still had starting issues. Thinking that it was because the Interstate battery was only (300CCA), I purchased a new YUASA battery (350CCA). Still having starting issue and decided to take it to another dealer to see what the problem is. Was told that my new battery is bad, and they put in a new YUASA Battery (350CCA). The service writer, told me that the newer model's have issues with batteries if they are just a little weak. So here's my question, Has anyone put a NOCOŽ Battery 12V 600A Lithium in their Spyder? How is this working out for you? Next question, Lithium batteries take a different type of charger. How does the charging system on the Spyder charge a Lithium battery when you need a lithium charger/tender that is different than a standard charger/tender? TIA.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-04-2024 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    2023 Spyder RTL, 3rd new battery within a year. The cheap China battery didn't make it at prep during purchase. Interstate battery (300CCA) was put in by dealer, as they told me that they didn't have a YUASA battery in stock. Still had starting issues. Thinking that it was because the Interstate battery was only (300CCA), I purchased a new YUASA battery (350CCA). Still having starting issue and decided to take it to another dealer to see what the problem is. Was told that my new battery is bad, and they put in a new YUASA Battery (350CCA). The service writer, told me that the newer model's have issues with batteries if they are just a little weak. So here's my question, Has anyone put a NOCOŽ Battery 12V 600A Lithium in their Spyder? How is this working out for you? Next question, Lithium batteries take a different type of charger. How does the charging system on the Spyder charge a Lithium battery when you need a lithium charger/tender that is different than a standard charger/tender? TIA.
    Last question first .... The charging device you will use CONVERTS household AC to 12v DC .... the Spyders alternator only makes 12+ v. DC ..... I just bought that NOCO 20LP for my 14 RT ..... which now starts instantly ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-04-2024 at 11:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the information.

Interesting about the alternator drive clutch. I'll keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2024 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Merged immediately consecutive posts... :-/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Last question first .... The charging device you will use CONVERTS household AC to 12v DC .... the Spyders alternator only makes 12+ v. DC ..... I just bought that NOCO 20LP for my 14 RT ..... which now starts instantly ...... Mike
    All chargers convert 120 volts ac to (roughly) 12 volts dc. The difference is in how they accomplish this task.

Rottman, I installed the NOCO 20LP in my Spyder from LaMonster and it has never turned over so well. The difference is very noticeable. I will never go back to lead acid. Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcVj9262zjg It will answer all your questions.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I put an Odyssey PC680 in 6 months ago. It's working just fine. It does not have quite the CCA of the OEM battery, but I chose the PC680 based on its longevity in my motorcycles. The last one I changed out on the R1200C lasted 7˝ years. Comparing that to the last Yuasa that lasted only a little over three years and the choice was easy.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 05-07-2024 at 07:45 AM.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I to have swap to the Noco last year, so I am still on the fence on this one! I love the charger I got; the battery too; but I'll hold my review 'til later.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2024 at 06:40 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Put a NOCO this spring. So far its great. Year or two I'll know more.
    2021 RTL
    2021 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Not a NOCO, but installed a Shorai in our Spyder. Nearby friend, he installed the NOCO.

Wanted to add though, your battery failures may also be related to a failed alternator clutch. Last year I helped a person, stranded on their trip. After the shop spent weeks changing parts per what BRP told them, turned out to be a failed alternator drive clutch.

Passes all the voltage checks but slips and does not charge the battery under greater loads.

Spyder Garage

Duralast here from Auto Zone $110.00 been 4 years on a battery tender when not in use.
    Dave
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-05-2024 at 11:00 PM.
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

I have the Noco NLP20 in mine and love it. It's been over a year with no problem at all.

Make sure that you have a maintainer for the lithium battery also if you go this route. Noco make an excellent product for that also.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I have the Noco NLP20 in mine and love it. It's been over a year with no problem at all.

Make sure that you have a maintainer for the lithium battery also if you go this route. Noco make an excellent product for that also.
    And works on all of the rest of the style battery's also!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On 11/08/22 I installed a battery from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $119.95 plus tax. Only guaranteed for 12 months but after 18 months now, it still spins starter at full speed. I forget the name of it, but the physical dimensions exactly match the Yuasa. I don't use a battery maintainer.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have one.
    Works fine.
    I maintain with a CTEK CT5
    2023 Sea2Sky

Spyder Garage

I bought this $70 MightyMax in February, and so far, no issues at all.
    https://a.co/d/c4rRk2p
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Spyder Garage

We installed the NOCO Lithium NLP20 batteries in our 2020 RT's recently, it completely eliminated the sluggish cranking, even when the engine is still fairly warm. The compact NOCO GENIUS2 chargers are compatible with AGM/GEL batteries as well LiPo batteries, haven't had to use them on the new batteries... yet.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2024 at 05:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thank You Kamjam