Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Lion batteries have a built-in recharge counter with a limit on the number of recharges. When it's reached, no more charging. That may be what you have encountered. I don't know if Lion vehicle batteries have the same thing but I suspect they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting ….. if this is accurate, that number is must be hugh. Doesn't the alternator ( or magneto ) recharge the battery almost constantly ????? ………… or am I missing something ……. Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I think he is referring to charge cycles. So you'd get just 1 charge cycle per ride (start to stop. Ignition on to ignition off). It would not count an additional cycle until the charger (whether it be a static based or vehicle charging system) was disconnected/turned off and restarted again.Though I don't think static lithium battery chargers have a 'Trickle Charge' cycle. If this is true, there would be an automatic shut down when full charge is reached. If the charged came back on at some point, another charge cycle would be added to the count.
    Did we ever get this sorted out ?
    I've looked for references to a recharge cycle counter on the Lithium Polymer batteries, but can't find any.
    This could be true, but as stated, that means you could be out in Utah one day, and start your Spyder at camp and Boom.....No warning, No battery.
    Shouldn't there be some type of warning associated with that ? Sort of like when you start getting low on gas ?
    I'm asking because I'm liking the possibility of the LiPo battery.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Did we ever get this sorted out ?
    I've looked for references to a recharge cycle counter on the Lithium Polymer batteries, but can't find any.
    This could be true, but as stated, that means you could be out in Utah one day, and start your Spyder at camp and Boom.....No warning, No battery.
    Shouldn't there be some type of warning associated with that ? Sort of like when you start getting low on gas ?
    I'm asking because I'm liking the possibility of the LiPo battery.
    I just did some searching. Here is a quote from Super B batteries web site FAQ page. https://www.super-b.com/en/faq
    A Battery Management System is necessary for control and protection during discharge and charging. The BMS provides CAN bus communication of battery status ‘state of charge’ and alarms etc. It may also be used without CAN bus interface with just basic analog inputs and outputs for simpler systems.
    In another answer they say the charging system must be modified. What that all means is a good question. They sell motorcycle batteries but essentially have no information what, if anything, you need to to do to use a LiPo battery in a motorcycle.

This page, https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/, says Battery Management System built in. They also state 3000 - 5000 cycles. But what constitutes a cycle?

Here's another quote from https://antigravitybatteries.com/hel...rical-charging
    Our lithium batteries will operate perfectly fine with the stock charging system in most motorcycles, powersports vehicles and automobiles. Where the problem can occur is when charging the battery with a standalone charger. Additionally if you have an aftermarket charging system on your vehicle, note that we cannot warranty the battery for use with aftermarket charging systems due to the fact that we do not test with these and some of these are not regulated as strictly as a stock/standard system found in a motorcycle, powersports vehicle or automobile.
    To sum it up LiPo require special charging systems but they're built into the battery. There is a limit to how many times any Li-on battery can be charged. Beyond that the web sites are scant on information just as you say.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)