Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    This question comes up from time to time and I have never heard of an insurance company worried about what kind of tire is on a spyder. Do the insurance companies care what tire is on your car?
    x 2. You took the words right out of my mouth. Motorcyclists have been using car tires for years (GoldWing for example). There are a lot of accidents and I do not recall tires ever being mentioned as part of a litigation or settlement.

I would call that scenario a "non-issue." I went to those kind of tires this summer, now that I found a source that would change them out for me. My new F3 will also get them when the time comes.

What if...does not enter the picture for me.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-21-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yup, I agree with the non issue. Hell, H-D trikes come with automotive tires/wheels from the factory and Can-Am wheels have J bead rims. Non issue..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

But in the case of the Harley trike that is stock OEM supplied.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Well, if you are worried about it, then do not put car tires on your Spyder. I have care tires on mine and haven't given it a second thought. I don't worry about what my insurance carrier would say.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    But in the case of the Harley trike that is stock OEM supplied.
    .… That is like saying HD doesn't have to follow the law !!! …. I found and posted the info about what HD is doing, in response to other posts saying BRP has their tire policy based on the Law..... Well HD is using Dunlop tires on their Trikes ( from the factory ) … so is there ... REALLY ... a law about tires ???? …… based on HD - I think NOT ...... MIke

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Well, if you are worried about it, then do not put car tires on your Spyder. I have care tires on mine and haven't given it a second thought. I don't worry about what my insurance carrier would say.
    I know what you are saying, JKM, but you also have to consider, not what your insurance carrier simply says, but what they would actually do.
    If, for example, someone is in a single vehicle accident, and requires ongoing care for life, and some smart insurance company lawyer thinks they can get out of footing the bill because you have non BRP recommended tyres on your Spyder, they are bound to pursue that line with dogged determination. That, of course, is the worst case scenario, but you must consider it in your deliberations about moving to aftermarket tyres. I have indeed considered it, but in my mind, the chances of that occurring, and them winning, are just so low that I am prepared to take that risk. As you say above, if you are worried about it, don’t put aftermarket tyres on your Spyder......simple....

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I concur with Sputter to a point. At one of my previous employers, the GM's P.A. had a prior job managing a team of Legal Secretaries for lawyers at an insurance company. Her advice to us was always "if an insurer can find the slightest reason to deny a claim they will. And remember they have deeper pockets than you or I if you intend taking them to court to challenge their decision."

I think push would come to shove if say a fatality occurred and you were deemed to be the driver at fault.

When I was considering the Nankangs I now run, I called my insurer to get their opinion, they were fine. My suggestion to those concerned is to call your insurer, have the chat. If they don't like the idea, find an insurer who does.
    2017 RTL , White