Spyder Garage

Default Headlight replacement

How long will it take the dealer to replace the headlight on 2011 rts

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jay13433 View Post
    How long will it take the dealer to replace the headlight on 2011 rts
    How long it takes doesn't matter …. the Dealer will charge according to what it says in His book ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If he's good at it, it will take about an hour but Mike is right, they will charge per the book, that’s how they stay in business.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

If you have a few tools and a little mechanical inclination you can do it yourself as the instructions are in your operator's guide. It may be a little intimidating at first but it's really not a difficult job. If you look at the number on the base of the burned out bulb it should have a common automotive part number that you can get in any auto parts store at less cost than from a Can-Am dealer, and the bulb(s) will come in sealed packaging thereby precluding some greasy fingered Can-Am parts guy from touching the halogen bulb and significantly reducing its life. A word to the wise, if one is burned out go ahead and replace them both at the same time.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The first bulb cost me an hours time at the dealer plus twice the cost of the bulb that can be bought at any auto parts store. The second bulb cost me about 2 hours of my time plus 1/2 the dealers' bulb price. I helped a friend change both on his RTL and we did them in about 1 and 1/2 hour. Even at my slow pace doing my first one, I paid myself $60.00 per hour because the dealer charges $120.00 per. Not hard to do. Just go slow and follow instructions. After doing it a couple times it gets a lot faster and there are no mysteries. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you have a few tools and a little mechanical inclination you can do it yourself as the instructions are in your operator's guide. It may be a little intimidating at first but it's really not a difficult job. If you look at the number on the base of the burned out bulb it should have a common automotive part number that you can get in any auto parts store at less cost than from a Can-Am dealer, and the bulb(s) will come in sealed packaging thereby precluding some greasy fingered Can-Am parts guy from touching the halogen bulb and significantly reducing its life. A word to the wise, if one is burned out go ahead and replace them both at the same time.
    I concur with Mr. JayBros. If you know your way around hand tools, and are fit enough to do some contortions, give it a whirl. One truth I have found about the RTL is that a lot of words on paper equals a little action in reality. Once you get the hang of it you can have most of the plastic off this thing in minutes.

I like these guys videos. They greatly simplify getting stuff done; https://youtu.be/n_xhy6mKvPI
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I don't know if the LED headlight bulb is available for your year model but it is the only way to fly. I bought a pair for my 14 RT from LaMonster who also has a youtube video showing how to replace it. It was not all that difficult. And I did it with just my thumbs. I have 10 of them. Now, at night, I can see the road and everything in it. Daytime I ryde with highbeam as I've read here on the site that on low, your headlight is not easily seen.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you try this yourself, some tips , have at least a 6 in. extension for the ratchet wrench , and put a piece of tape inside the 10mm socket so it really holds the bolt head.... you don't want it falling down into the bowels of the engine compartment …… good luck … it's not really hard to do ….and if you replace with LED bulbs you probably won't ever have to do it again …. Mike

Spyder Garage

i agree with mike on holding on to the h/l mounting bolts . there are a couple that are way back in.
    a flashlight helps,, too. you dont want to drop one. rest of it is just logic and easy.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]