Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Another Oil Question

Alright, I have another oil question for you all... I know about using the JASO MA II rated oil, but I am confused about the API ratings. From what I read it is just to do with chronological release dates??? Most of what I see are SJ or SL rated. Are these suitable for my 2008 GS SE5? Or do I need to look for a 'newer' release of SM or SN? Is that something to pay much attention to?
    Thanks for your input!
    2008 GS SE5 , silver/black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msgoodwrench View Post
    Alright, I have another oil question for you all... I know about using the JASO MA II rated oil, but I am confused about the API ratings. From what I read it is just to do with chronological release dates??? Most of what I see are SJ or SL rated. Are these suitable for my 2008 GS SE5? Or do I need to look for a 'newer' release of SM or SN? Is that something to pay much attention to?
    Thanks for your input!
    IMHO you are way over-thinking this .... If the oil has a JASO MA II rating it's the best there is ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO you are way over-thinking this .... If the oil has a JASO MA II rating it's the best there is ..... Mike
    ok, well, just wanted to be sure with all the specs and drama that seem to be going around about using the wrong oil. I appreciate your thoughts! Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Yes, I get my filter kit from Ron, but I like to buy my oil local and keep some on hand.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I get my filter kit from Ron, but I like to buy my oil local and keep some on hand.
    Sorry didn’t see sooner, don’t get more local than delivered to your door. Can discuss quantity with Ron, or just guesstimate. Personally full case worked great for me -same oil good on both bikes & still comfortable unopened spares. Understanding the fine line between “spare” & clutter especially if limited shop space all still just suggestion.
    Thanks for your input!
    Unfortunately lot of don’t know & don’t have scientific equipment or knowledge to test.- could be some internal for bookkeeping & or various word play on labels to stand separately from competition. Sorry not helpful, hopefully lil funny:80B78C72-6046-4853-91B7-A82087019823.jpg
    Last edited by Bfromla; 09-15-2023 at 05:55 AM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The 1330 is pretty much able to handle any JASO rated MA2 oil out there. Similar to the Japanese bikes. It isn't a problem. It is the 998's that have a very temperamental clutch. I do not know if is the clutch friction material, clutch spring pressure, or a combination of both. But the 998 clutch/oil issues do not translate to the 1330.

The only aftermarket oil filters I know of are Bike Master, HiFlo and K&N. And no one makes the extended transmission filter for the SE5 anymore. K&N did, but they discontinued manufacture of that filter earlier this year. The only vehicle on the planet that uses that filter is the SE5 Spyder. Just not enough volume to bother with.
    Oh no! Well, please tell me, Ron, that us old Spyders can still get our extended filters from you!
    Last edited by msgoodwrench; 09-17-2023 at 04:34 PM.